Thoughts on OLP MM 5 string bass

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I’m primarily a guitar player but use bass from time to time mainly for hobby recording at home. I found a great deal on an OLP MM 5 string. Pearl pick guard for like $150. Is this a decent bass ? I get it’s not a legit bongo or stingray etc

It's not bad.

For around the same money you can get the Ibanez Mikro 5 string GSRM25. The bass was so good in a head to head playing session, I ended up buying the Ibanez.

To everything above

$100 is better than $150- 150 is top dollar what it's worth

They're not bad- good value for a 5 string which most people don't have the amps to get full advantage of- with direct/fractal i'm sure you're fine for recording

I'd avoid anything in the GIO range of ibanez

thanks for the replies. I"ve decided against it for now and may get a Sub by sterling Music Man down the road. I think around $3-400. I have my cheap LTD bass that I've had for years. It's not bad but will do a slight upgrade sometime this year

The US made original SUBs are excellent, try to snatch one of those. In general, the more you pay, up to a point, the better you like the bass.

I prefer Ibanez ATKs, you might find the Korean made ones cheap just now, Reason for me liking ATKs is they are half-way like Stingray sounding and not expensive. And with the active EQ you could quickly tweak the settings for both recording and live playing. Good slap bases, too.

Back
Top Bottom