Thoughts on Last Night’s King Crimson/Zappa Band concert at Ravinia ….AMPs VS FAS Smackdown!

bradlake

Axe-Master
So I went to my first large-scale show in 1 and 1/2 years , with two acts that pair surprisingly well together. ….but…………
the Zappa Band , all awesome, seasoned alumni of either or both of Frank or Dweezil Zappas’ touring bands, while Performing a wonderfully curated set that seemed to wow the Crimson fans as well those who came to see them, suffered from a FOH mix that took far too long in a tight 45-minute set to stabilize….the first two songs were embarrasingly bad sounding, to the point of wondering if someone was fu#king with us. The lion’s share of the blame must go to the FOH guy, but as there was at times three guitarists playing at once, all on miked amps (Mike Keneally on a tiny amp that I forget what, Ray white on Deluxe REverb, and Jamie Kime on a Friedman Rig) it lacked the clarity and precise mix positions that I had grown so used to in the dozens of Dweezil/Fractal-led performances I have witnessed…….nevertheless, the latter part of the set sounded great and did justice to the compositions.
Then……Crimson……..
AMAZING FOH! Fripp‘s Fractal-powered rig sliced like a velvet knife though the mix, and the 3(!!!) DRUMMERS (in the FRONT) , the stellar Bass/Stickwork of Tony Levin, wonderful reed and flute work from whoever that was, and a vocalis/guitarist who, at once, somehow embodied everything I like and intensely dislike about the self-serious excesses of this cornerstone of Prog…….but shit ,it all sounded so good..even if it was a bit bombastic for me …and reminded me once again how lucky we all are to be part of this thing………………..

I went to my first concert in several years a week ago. I forget what kind of amp the guitar player was using but he was lost in the mix all night. I think it was an Egnater. I blame the FOH guy.

When people say "modelers get lost in the mix" I just roll my eyes because I've been to more concerts where a real amp is lost in the mix. Every concert I've been to where they're using Fractals the guitar sits in the mix great.

..and Adrian Belew, late of Crimson, is STiLL using his Ultra live !!(I was lucky enough to see the Discipline tour back in 81-(2?) with Fripp, Belew, Bruford, and Levin….now THAT was a live band to be reckoned with…get shivers from the memory ……

Back
Top Bottom