1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on future Axe Fx being able to used used as plugin in DAW.

Discussion in 'Plug-Ins' started by Joseph J C, Mar 21, 2018.

?

Would you like to run Axe Edit as a plug on you DAW?

1. yes

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Joseph J C

Joseph J C
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Wouldn't it be cool if we could use our Fractal units DSP like the UAD Apollo units DSP to run Axe edits patches as a plug in our DAW? Thoughts?

Strumzilla and briannix like this.
  2. henryrobinett

henryrobinett
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Why? Why can't you do that with reamping? I know a lot of people are clamoring for this. It just seems like the best copy protection for Cliff and Fractal is just the way it is. Harder to reverse engineer. Plus he can avoid all the massive headaches having to make it compatible with every OS and application that might have conflicts. I like it the way it is, although I know my opinion is probably in the minority.

bradlake likes this.
  3. Joseph J C

Joseph J C
    Expand Collapse
    New here

It would be nice to cut down on the time spent re-amping every single track.

briannix likes this.
  4. kylepolhemus

kylepolhemus
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

This ^

5. lqdsnddist

lqdsnddist
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I think the effort to integrate the processing in the axe into processing that can run in a vst or daw environment would be pretty substantial as they are rather different processes

6. Strumzilla

Strumzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

My basic wish would just be VST/AAX plugin functionality for AxeEdit. This would allow automation, etc. settings per song. I'm thinking there's a way to do this with midi cc functions, but the plugin route would be more straightforward I think. The pipe dream would be if they could create an environment like UAD where you have to have the hardware to run the software. If there's a way to crack this, I think it's not worth it because those plugins (UAD) depend on those dedicated chips to run and would likely overwhelm the host processor. UAD has built a pretty successful business on this model. I know that I don't know enough to understand the difficulties and complexities involved. Maybe part of is that the typical guitarist doesn't really care about DAW functionality. I was that way for a long time before I got more into songwriting and production. Maybe they don't feel they have the market to support the effort.

Joseph J C likes this.
  7. josephyballew

josephyballew
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I have the Helix plugin and it is very convenient and you don't have to have the hardware. If you gig all the time and don't want to set everything back up, that would be the advantage here. You would not have to reamp, because it does it automatically. You have to have a great Audio interface to cut down on latency. Thunderbolt is the latest technology that I have to cut down on this. On USB or Firewire, if you listen to the input signal, you will hear 100ms delay which is distracting. I always turned off listening to input when I had those. Recording are the same and everything. It would really be nice. I have both The Helix and Axe 3. The amps and effects are better on the Axe and would be nice to have.

Joseph J C likes this.
  8. Joseph J C

Joseph J C
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Joseph, I didn't know that about the Helix, that is deff cool.

Strumzilla, there is deff a market for it, JST is ding great with their "Tone Forge", and there are a bunch more out there. UAD can do it so can Fractal if they want to.

9. josephyballew

josephyballew
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I am sure it would keep some from buying the hardware.