Thoughts on 3 PRS models

boolean

Experienced
I’m in the market for a new guitar and have been looking at some of the PRS offerings (that are available in Australia).

Although I’ll be trying all of these in the flesh over the next week or so (which will be the deciding factor of which model I purchase), I’m still curious to know about peoples thoughts/experiences/comparisons on the following models: 408, 513, Studio.

I've been playing PRS's for over 20 years, and have owned Custom 24s, CE-24s, an Allender and a 513 (2013 model). For me, the 513 is fantastic, and now my main axe. Sounds great in all pickup combos and all positions. Of course, as with any guitar you have to like the neck (it only comes in one size), which is completely subjective. Best playing neck I've ever had is my CE-24 with a wide-thin neck. I've played the 408 and Studio, but not enough to make any assessments.

513 has been the only PRS that I was absolutely in love with. About 5 years later I finally got around to picking one up (couple of weeks ago). It's really nice, but it's not quite as good as my memories of the one I played a while back. I think that the neck profile was a bit different which is what really blew me away with the other one. I think that they've gone to a standard PRS neck profile with the newer ones.

I've owned two 513s, one is still my main guitar. I like that there isn't a huge volume drop going dual to single coil, and the pickup system actually works as advertised... a bunch of genuinely usable tones that still feel all connected to one guitar. It's hard to explain without playing one live with a band. The only other PRS I've played enough to feel like I could offer an opinion is the NF3. I bring it up here because it uses Narrowfield pickups, as are two of the three in the Studio. Great guitar, played very nicely and sat in the band mix well. The pickups are kind of a mix, tone-wise, between a mini-humbucker and a P90 to my ears. More toward the mini-humbucker, but with a nice edge when cranked up. Nice pickups. The PRS 57-08 that is in the treble position of the Studio is a well known quantity, and most like it's sound, making me think the Studio would be a touch more versatile than the NF3.

No experience to offer on the 408. For my money, the 513 is it.

It depends on what you are aiming for. If you are mainly a strat guy looking to add some humbucking tones, then 513 would be the obvious way to go. If you are a twin humbucker guy looking to add some single coil, then 408.

The 513 is a very good utility guitar, but the humbucking tones are slightly compromised. The 408 has good humbucking tones, but the single coils sounds are slightly compromised. It is always going to be that way because no guitar can excel at both.

I'm sure opinions vary, and tone is very subjective. I don't find the 513 humbucking tones compromised at all. Essentially it is a bunch of single coil pickups you can tap and combine in different ways, which is a good description of many, if not most, humbuckers (two single coils joined to make one pickup). I've been really happy with the tone, so much so that the reason I have owned two is that I regretted selling the first one!

As I said though, tone is subjective and to MNG it doesn't sound quite right. That makes a great reason for you to go try one out and see what you think of it! The Axe Fx may have cured the amp GAS, but it's always fun to try guitars.

Yeah! My CE24 wide thin neck is also the boooooomb! As a main guitar I'd pick the new Custom 24. The 5-way blade is so much faster for actual live use.

..... Essentially it is a bunch of single coil pickups you can tap and combine in different ways, which is a good description of many, if not most, humbuckers (two single coils joined to make one pickup).......
This is sounds exactly like what I’m after ….I need flexibility, especially in the neck & middle positions. Can’t wait to try the 513 through the AF2 now !!!

I have a 2009 513. It's been my main guitar for a number of months now, and I couldn't be without it!

I love how the neck pickup in humbucker mode has such a stratty character to it, and how well it works as a lead pickup. The bridge is very juicy and harmonically rich. It also works great as a lead pickup. You have a lot of tonal choices and colours with this guitar.

I had a chance to try three 513's and the one I picked seemed to have the best of the other two, deep rich lows and sparkling highs. If you have a chance to try more than one make sure you do.

The 408 looks very interesting to me, but I've never had a chance to play one. Make sure you update the thread with your impressions once you've had a chance to try these all out.

Terry.

...I love how the neck pickup in humbucker mode has such a stratty character to it, and how well it works as a lead pickup. The bridge is very juicy and harmonically rich. It also works great as a lead pickup. You have a lot of tonal choices and colours with this guitar....
Sounds great - I really can't wait to try the 513 out now !!!
..... I had a chance to try three 513's and the one I picked seemed to have the best of the other two, deep rich lows and sparkling highs. If you have a chance to try more than one make sure you do...
Good advice - will do. Thanks Terry

I love how the neck pickup in humbucker mode has such a stratty character to it, and how well it works as a lead pickup. The bridge is very juicy and harmonically rich. It also works great as a lead pickup. You have a lot of tonal choices and colours with this guitar.

I should clarify that my comments above, and my favourite pickup mode on the 513, is "Clear Humbucking". That's the middle position on the 3 way switch.

Terry.

I own the 513, never played a 408, and have only tried a stdio in a store so I can't really give a direct comparison between the three.

The 513 is a fabulous and versatile instrument for sure. Mine is the swamp ash bodied model which is more lively and spanky than the mahogany one. The single coil settings are my favourite of any single coil guitars I've ever tried with beautiful bell/piano like tones without even a hint of single coil shrillness. The two types of humbucker sounds I find useable but somewhat clinical and slightly lacking in character and 'life' but they would get you through most humbucker needs. My Musicman Albert Lee HH would absolutely kill it in an A/B situation.

I went to a music store with the intention of buying a Studio model which I had my eye on. It played OK and sounded fine but I did a comparison with a Custom 24 and ended up buying the CU24 instead, it was far superior in tone and feel.

I'd like to try a 408 as it looks like it would give the best of both worlds but these things don't always pan out that way.

In summary, I think you would be happy with a 513, but I'd say the CU24 is the must-have PRS before trying anything else.

The 513 is a fabulous and versatile instrument for sure. Mine is the swamp ash bodied model which is more lively and spanky than the mahogany one. The single coil settings are my favourite of any single coil guitars I've ever tried with beautiful bell/piano like tones without even a hint of single coil shrillness. The two types of humbucker sounds I find useable but somewhat clinical and slightly lacking in character and 'life' but they would get you through most humbucker needs.

I've read comments from Dancing Frog where he says the sweet-spot for the swamp ash version is single coil mode and clear humbucking mode for the mahagony body. That seems to fit what we're both saying. Clearly, having one of each is desirable! :shock

But that raises a good point. One guitar cannot do everything well. Make sure that what you pick hits the most important thing well. Any versatility beyond that is a bonus!

Terry.

I've read comments from Dancing Frog where he says the sweet-spot for the swamp ash version is single coil mode and clear humbucking mode for the mahagony body. That seems to fit what we're both saying. Clearly, having one of each is desirable! :shock

But that raises a good point. One guitar cannot do everything well. Make sure that what you pick hits the most important thing well. Any versatility beyond that is a bonus!

Terry.

Terry, I've played the mahogany body 513 briefly and was really impressed with the very definite and distinct difference in tones in all three modes, and I think the heavier body probably suited the humbucker modes a little better. If money was no object I would love to have both!

Picked up my 408 yesterday. First impression; Beautiful, Well Built Guitar. I was looking for a humbucking type guitar & the 408 fit the bill. The ability to get various tones using the single coil / humbucking combinations was a plus. Sounds tremendous through the Axe (even though most my presets are set up for single coils). I love the neck (which was my main worry since I did not play the guitar before I bought it). PRS also seems like a solid, customer oriented company like Fractal.

0a463720-08cf-4a40-8590-abe2dfa1b28c_zps46c98d73.jpg Photo by snider_d | Photobucket

I have the mahogany model and clear humbucking is generally where I find the sweet spot. Of course, if I want strattyness then I go single coil. The full humbucker is usually a bit too dark, but of course I could create patches w/ a bit more brightness to balance that out...

I use Cu24's almost exclusively. Baring in mind that I nitromorse the neck to the bare wood for playability. I love the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups. I quite fancy a 513, but they are big bucks. The 305 might be my next purchase.

My new 2013 Cu24 sounds great, but I prefer the push/pull 3 way toggle layout. Probably because all my other guitars are wired that way and I'm used to it.

I have the 513 and Studio. For me the Studio would win out over the 513 because of the neck carve and pickups; but, as I commented in another thread, I love the 513 concept.

I have played a 408. Someday, maybe.

Seriously, look at a Cu24 with any of the pickup combinations available: HFS/VB, 57/08, or 59/09. Mine has the first combo with 5-way rotary and it is my #1 for gigging. The only think I don't love is the rotary - the sound combinations are great, the interface is not. However, new models use a 5-way blade instead. If you got one with a 5-way rotary and couldn't stand the switch, you can change to the 3-way toggle and push/pull switch.

Terry, I've played the mahogany body 513 briefly and was really impressed with the very definite and distinct difference in tones in all three modes

Agreed. Each mode has distinctive qualities.

I took a clean Axe-FX 2 patch that I had dialed in to cut through a busy mix, and used it to record a short jam against a sparse mix using the neck pickup in each 513 mode. I then built the equalization required using Reaper PEQ's to render a really warm, fat tone. The curves I needed were very different for each pickup mode, as was the final tone from each. However, all three worked very nicely.

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom