Thoughts about the FCs

axifist

Experienced
tl;dr:
I think an additional FC-18 would make sense. Not for me, I would definitely love the FC-12 if I had a III, but thinking about how others use their controllers I see problems, especially since the III is obviously intended to be used only with the FCs.

Here's why

Ever since the III and the FCs were announced, I was wondering how they would work. Then we got the info, that the FCs aren't real standalone midi controllers, but controllers for the III being configured in the III. This approach has big advantages, because the III always knows about what's going on on the FCs, so to speak.

Sidenote:
To show you that I have some insight in designing midi controllers, I did my own, as you can see here in pictures and here in code. My approach was similar to the FCs, but the other way around: My controller is in charge of everything, it's where I configure setlists, songs, scenes etc. And it's for the Ultra, but that doesn't matter.
So, I'm not a professional, but trust me, I thought about midi controllers a lot the past months creating this thing in my leisure time!

Ok, so when I read about the FCs further now that they are released, I immediately liked the option to assign switches per preset! That's one thing the combination II+MFC isn't capable of, because the two don't know about each other.

But:
Will everyone be happy with the FCs? That's what this whole post is supposed to be about.
  • As far as I can see there is one option of usage for the MFC
  1. Every switch has its function(s) assigned, never to be changed, at least not during a show. That's why it makes sense for the MFC to have quite a lot of switches (15), which can be configured freely.
  • The FCs allow two options
  1. The first option is to use it the way the MFC was used. This seems completely reasonable. I'm sure most III users switched from a II+MFC setup, which they perfected for themselves and got used to over the years. Many need all 15 switches and don't want their function ever to change. Everything has to be just where it belongs, just like a floor board of stomp boxes.
    Others (like me) never really needed that many switches and could live with less. But the MFC is quite small, so no real biggie!

2. The second option is to use it dynamically. Every preset on the III includes a different setup for the switches. Their functionality doesn't need to be guessed, because there's a display indicating the current function. Well done!
    But still, in a live situation it's important to KNOW which switch does what. You don't have the time to read through the switches to find which one to hit next. So I think MANY users wouldn't want this option.
    But to me it seems like the FCs aren't meant to be used like that, especially the FC-6. Such a small controller needs to be more flexible than a big one, otherwise 6 switches are ... like ... nothing!

So, what will MFC power users, who need many fixed switches, do when switching to III+FC?

Of course they'll want the bigger one, the FC-12. Problem is, it has far less switches than the MFC. Ok, 15-12=3. The difference seems small, but remember, you'll probably need two switches for changing presets, so in fact you only got 10 switches left for sound changes. What if you want to control scenes + channels too? Not many left for assigning to effects. Sure, the MFC has similar problems, but remember, channels is a new and additional feature! The III offers more flexibility, which you'll want to be able to access with the FCs.

edit: Good point by @unix-guy, you can e.g. change presets by long-pressing switches. But still, for switching e.g. effects, channels, scenes this option isn't really optimal.

Of course I don't know how people will use the FCs, but I'm sure many will run out of switches, if they want a "One setup to rule them all" which includes everything they'll ever need. I'm looking especially at cover band artists. The FC-12 alone might not be enough.
So what are the options for those users?
  1. Both FCs allow 4 external switches.
    Question to you guys:
    Is it possible to assign LEDs to external switches? Or are those switches limited the way they are on the MFC? So adding 4 more switches to the FC-12 might work, but it's not a perfect solution. I e.g. bought the addon @Roadrunner builds. Very well built, but I wouldn't buy it again, I've never used it. The missing LEDs are a dealbreaker for me, especially live. Didn't see that coming when I bought it unfortunately...
  2. The FCs can be daisy-chained. Alright, great! So you can just buy a second one. But here I see two problems:
    1. How to place the two FCs? Side by side or one in front of the other?
      1. To get an MFC-like setup you'd want to place them in front of each other. In that case you'd have to place them at different heights to be able to reach the first row of switches of the FC further away from you. This might be ok for some, but I'd say the higher you have to lift your foot the more wobbly you get. Not good in live situations, especially if you combine music with sports ;)
        To place them at a similar height is problematic because of the first row being bevelled. You'd have to place them further apart, which makes the floor board way too long and you'll get wobbly again.
      2. The best option seems to be to use two FCs and place them side by side. But well, now the setup is at least 79,5cm (31.4") (FC-12 + FC-6) or even 102,4cm (40.2") wide (2x FC-12). This might be problematic especially for guitarists who also sing. They can't move that far to the right and left. And for guys like me who mostly play small stages it's also very problematic, because there's just no room for such a wide floor board.
    2. Now if you decide to use two (or even more) FCs, there's another problem: Only the first FC will get powered by the III. Question to you guys: Why this limitation??? It shouldn't be a technical issue, the FCs cannot require that much current. Also by design the daisy-chaining is limited to 4 units, so the required power is limited and definitely low. For me personally it would be a real dealbreaker to be forced to have another cable go to the front of stage and to be forced to have a power adapter in my 19" case. This I really don't get!

Obviously the III is designed to be used with the FCs only. There's no Faslink 1 support and the midi connectors are stripped down versions of what the I and II offered. Another question: Does the midi input at least support bi-directional communication? I don't know, but I suspect not. Luckily there are options built by users like @oson00, but those options clearly weren't intended by Fractal and remain a hack.
All the more I see it as important for Fractal to deliver FCs which work for as many users as well as possible. It's a difficult task for sure. But since the MFC isn't supposed to be used with the III there should now be an option available for people who just love how the MFC works + why not some new neat features making it even better than the MFC.
Please don't get me wrong! I'm really glad that Fractal now offers smaller controllers which deliver great flexibility. I just think limiting the available controllers to a small and medium sized isn't enough.

Conclusion
I wrote this post to tell you my thoughts about the FCs, about whether or not they are capable of satisfying a wide enough range of users who all want different setups. That's why I imagine there could be a real desire for an FC-18. No external power adapter required, no overly wide or high floor board, but still many switches like the MFC.

p.s.:
Is any of you guys an MFC power user who could give feedback about how you would do a similar setup with the FC(s)? Or will you just change your habits?

Last edited:
It’s taken quite some time for design and production as is, can’t see it being prudent to go back to the drawing board for a fc18, assuming it could result in like another year for it to see the light of day

Also, don't forget all switches can have multiple functions via press or long-press (press and hold).

Personally, I'm not planning to have any buttons for preset changes ok my main layout. I don't change presets mid-song. I'll use a second layout for that.

The Axe Fx III does not support bidirectional midi over a single port. You must use 2 cables.

The MFC isn't going to get any changes... It's been stated multiple times.

I would probably but an FC-18 over an FC-12 if one were offered, however, I think the flexibility and additional capability with the new units will allow me to do more with less buttons...

@unix-guy, of course you are right, but long press isn't useful for every kind of function. Maybe for preset changes, ok, but not if you need perfect timing.

Thanks for the info about whether there's bidirectional midi. So the midi ports seem to be intended only for stationary purposes, not for live usage.

I never mentioned that the MFC should get an update for the III. Doesn't make much sense, since it can only be connected with 3 cables (midi in, midi out, power) which is horrible! Of course Fractal could provide an adapter (comparable to the Ethernet2Faslink adapters), but since they don't exist and most probably won't exist, the MFC is officially not intended for the III.

@lqdsnddist, I don't think creating an FC-18 would be THAT difficult. The FC-6 and FC-12 definitely share a lot of hardware and software. The only problem I could think of is that the used hardware doesn't support 18 inputs for the switches and 18+1 outputs for the displays.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about whether there's bidirectional midi. So the midi ports seem to be intended only for stationary purposes, not for live usage.
I'm not sure how you mean? Why is bidirectional midi over a single cable required for live purposes?

I use the MFC with a single cable and a 5-to-7 pin adapter to provide phantom power. It works fine live... It's not as good as MFC to Axe Fx II over FASLink, but still totally usable.

the MFC is officially not intended for the III.

I don't agree with this, either. The MFC is a quite capable general purpose midi controller. The Axe Fx III is completely controllable by midi.

I get your points, and I agree with many of them... But a lot of your arguments / issue seem to be focused on your specific desires.

Again, I'm all for an FC-18, so bring it on ;)

I don't agree with this, either. The MFC is a quite capable general purpose midi controller. The Axe Fx III is completely controllable by midi.
Yes, sure it CAN be used, but you need 3 cables! Fractal could have left the midi ports the way they were with the I and II, but they didn't, they stripped them down. That's what my argument is based on.
But a lot of your arguments / issue seem to be focused on your specific desires.
To the contrary! I would love the FC-12, because it's very close to the controller I designed on my own. The whole thread is for people who use(d) the MFC like a lot of stomp boxes with every switch assigned to it. I'm NOT one of them. Well, I am, because for the II I still use the MFC, but I'd rather have something like the FC-12 or my own controller. That one I'd have to rewrite for the II, which I probably will in the near future.
I personally would NOT want an FC-18! If I had free choice, I'd want an FC-12 with 3 rows of 4 switches ;)

Yes, sure it CAN be used, but you need 3 cables!
Not true... See my previous comment about the cable I use.

There is no bidirectional capability between so Axe Fx III and MFC, so more than 1 midi cable is pointless...

Ok I understand what you are saying. But what about 3rd party midi controllers in general? Cliff even released midi specs, so it would be easy to create a controller which then would use phantom power and bidirectional communication. Just like with the I and II. I'm sure e.g. @voes wouldn't mind if the III had the same capabilities the I and II have. Ok, he provides adapter solutions, but still his controllers aren't as competitive against the FCs because there's more effort setting them up. Still, they look amazing to me! I can imagine the amount of work he put into them, it's a lot!

If the MFC really doesn't understand what the III sends, well that makes it even less usable... What about the tuner screen? I'm sure I'm not the only one who definitely wants a tuner screen on the midi controller.

In your case you need 2 cables instead of 3. Yes, you combine them into one cable thanks to an adapter. But that's kind of a hardware hack. With hacks you can get close to everything to work. That however isn't what I'm trying to discuss here. I'm trying to discuss Fractals decisions and intentions. Adapters aren't part of this.

Again: The III can be controlled with other controllers, also with the MFC, but it's intended for the FCs only. If it was intended for the MFC, it would have Faslink 1 capability and allow the MFC to read its SysEx data. If it was intended for other 3rd party controllers, it would still support phantom power and bidirectional communication. Of course I don't really KNOW anything about what Fractal intends, all I can do is look at the evidence and get to my conclusions. I'm not saying I'm right about everything, but for now I only got convinced by your argument about the long-press preset change, which I hadn't considered.

Some good points made here by everyone. Having to go to a 2nd menu page while playing is awkward... and then do you have to click again to go back to the main page, that's too many things to do mid-song. Also, I don't like using press-and-hold for anything that needs to happen mid-song either... although it's perfect for getting to a 2nd menu for preset selection, to turn on the tuner, etc. But that's about it. I don't use it for anything on the AX8 except the tuner because timing issues... I'll either have x/y change on a scene change or not at all.

The III has SO many options that it seems like a shame that we can't access more things directly, so an 18 would make more sense to me as well. I'm hoping that the FC's will support fully individualized layouts for every preset (it sounds like they do, but it's still not clear). If I can make do w/ 8 switches, I'm sure 11 will work... but it still seems very limiting for such a powerful device.

We may have more options in the future but for now it's what we have to work with. I keep looking at the controller thinking.... where can I drill 4 holes and route the wiring internally to those extra 4 switches :)

From all that I read so far, I get the impression, that the new FC's are very well catered to studios/studio musicians.
With all the above mentioned, (the from/design/size, the extra power supply one would need when daisy chaining the FC's, the missing phantom power for mic's, multi functional switches .. etc .. ), it makes you think, one have to jump through a lot of hoops and loops, to make the FC's your "daily touring gear".

From all that I read so far, I get the impression, that the new FC's are very well catered to studios/studio musicians.
With all the above mentioned, (the from/design/size, the extra power supply one would need when daisy chaining the FC's, the missing phantom power for mic's, multi functional switches .. etc .. ), it makes you think, one have to jump through a lot of hoops and loops, to make the FC's your "daily touring gear".

Do you know of any midi controller that also has a mic preamp with phantom power ?

The FC controls the Axe III, that’s is it’s one and only purpose.

I like the idea of single cable powering the controller, but they are quite bulky considering the number of buttons they provide.
Just for comparison LF Mini is a full featured midi controller with 8 buttons and is about twice smaller than FC6. Unless there is some serious control advantages on FC controllers im gonna stick with more portable option.

I pretty much agree with the OP. I also assume Fractal wants us to use the FC, not any other controller, otherwise there would be faslink 1 support or 7 pin Midi for phantom power. While this is of course their decision and I fully understand that they are interested in selling their own new FCs, for me as a touring musician there are way too many disadvantages. Using an MFC with midi is no option for me, specially not if I would even have to use adapters to get phantom power. And running a controller without phantom power is also no option, both ways are just not suitable on the road. On top of this the FC12 has 9 buttons less than an MFC, so if I want to use the same layout that I am using on the MFC, I would have to get a second FC and daisy chain them. Again, this is not really an option for several reasons. The second FC would need its own power supply (no option), also placement would be an issue. As the OP was saying already, you can't really set them up one behind the other, and setting them up next to each other results in a pretty wide board, specially when you also plan to use Expression pedals. While some people have no issue with a wide board, I prefer mine to stay within certain dimensions, I want to be able to switch anything also while I have to sing backings, so moving away from my mic position in the middle of a vocal part is no option. Yes, I know we can assign more than one function to those switches on the FC, but again, absolutely no option on the road. That might be a nice feature for home or studio use, but on tour, in the middle of a set, the last thing I want is to think about is what I have to do to get a certain sound. If it involves tapping more than one switch then it is no option for me. Also, coming back to the size of a daisy chain board, that works if you play big stages, but have fun in small clubs, specially if there is a secons guitarist with a similar setup and the bassplayer and singer also want some space on stage ;-) The good thing is, I don't have to worry about all this, I am running 2 XLs, controlling them with 2 MFCs and everything sounds the way I want it to sound and I can control everything the way I want to control things, so I am fine. But I can perfectly imagine that there are much more people like me or the OP that share those kind of thoughts.

I like the idea of single cable powering the controller, but they are quite bulky considering the number of buttons they provide.
Just for comparison LF Mini is a full featured midi controller with 8 buttons and is about twice smaller than FC6. Unless there is some serious control advantages on FC controllers im gonna stick with more portable option.
You gotta go with what works for you. All those LCD mini displays take up space. And the extra spacing between footswitches goes a long way toward helping you hit only one switch in the heat of battle. You have to weigh those advantages against overall size. The FC-6 takes up considerably less space in my bag than my AX8.

Back
Top Bottom