Thoughts about the FCs

There's definitely a use case for it.

Poop-colored glasses or not, but there’s a lot of automation I need to launch/stop (all our gear is controlled from my pedalboard). So no good foot controller solution is the only thing that’s holding me back from purchasing a III.

There are plenty of great third-party controllers that work perfectly well with the III and will offer more flexibility to control other gear.

True to a large degree, but those are quite expensive for stopgap solutions, and in many cases kind of hard to get where I live.

True to a large degree, but those are quite expensive for stopgap solutions, and in many cases kind of hard to get where I live.
The larger your needs from the product the more niche it becomes. The more niche, the more expensive.

The larger your needs from the product the more niche it becomes. The more niche, the more expensive.

I don’t mind the price per se. The problem is more about paying for something I need only temporarily and don’t plan to keep. And I’m not even sure those products will work for my needs as I can’t easily try them before buying.

I don’t mind the price per se. The problem is more about paying for something I need only temporarily and don’t plan to keep. And I’m not even sure those products will work for my needs as I can’t easily try them before buying.
This makes it sound like nothing will work then.

This makes it sound like nothing will work then.

Quite frustrating really, given that III is an especially exciting product for me mostly because it’s more powerful, which should allow it to handle more automation needs easily. So having that available and not being able to really use it because of a stupid footswitch problem is, well, not fun. :)

Quite frustrating really, given that III is an especially exciting product for me mostly because it’s more powerful, which should allow it to handle more automation needs easily. So having that available and not being able to really use it because of a stupid footswitch problem is, well, not fun. :)
But what would fulfill your needs? I’m saying it sounds like nothing will.

I love less buttons with more interactivity. Case in point: the ditto looper. 1 button, yet you can: record/overdub/play/stop/erase. I also loved my DL4 looper till it broke. Double tap the reverse switch and it switches half-time. Satisfying!

One thing I was wondering about (never had an MFC) was whether it could do individual A/B/C effect presets (ala DL4 or Timeline), independent of other foot-switches acting like normal bypass effects (drive on/off).

The caveat is that:

A) Hitting the other preset disengages the last one.
B) There is a natural delay spillover/trail that is totally independent of the rest of your amp/fx-chain.
C) The tap-tempo works globally, independent of each preset.

Did I just talk myself through the logistics of programming this? Would it involve Scenes (for diff. delays)?

My ideal FC6 setup would be something like:

Delay1 - Delay2 - Misc FX Chain Presets
Amp1/Amp2 - Boost - Tap Tempo

So the delays are like A/B presets. I can alternate between a Fender Twin and Marshall Plexi with the amp switch. Boost is just a regular on/off stomp box. The Misc FX presets would be kind of like a Zoom Multistomp, where you can cycle through multiple auxiliary fx chains/scenes (spacey reverb/pitch/rotary combos), or just hold the switch down to bypass them all.

There are plenty of great third-party controllers that work perfectly well with the III and will offer more flexibility to control other gear.

Actually I used (still hooked up to FX III via MIDI patch bays) an inexpensive FCB1010 ($150 US Amazon) as stop gap until FC6 arrived.

As info only: it’s a bear to program without a new EPROM. I tired the Eureka chip ($35) mod but personally didn't like its limitations in programming then tried the UNO chip ($24 US) and got the UNO editor (20 Euros) - now the FCB1010 is DIRT simple to program using a PC, for any MIDI use, including ALL my synth gear and I have lots of that stuff rack and keyboards.

Using FCB 1010, the FX III responds to all FX III MIDI editable functions (including programs, scenes, tap temp, tuner, looper, amps and effects items on/off/bypass, real-time levels, ...). Plus it already has two usable expression pedals built in. Although, I personally prefer a Mission pedal - it just feels right because, well, teh Mission is in a standard (Vox, Teese, etc.) enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom