Thoughts about the FCs

I'm a Fractal fan boy, owning the Ultra, Axe Fx II, Ax8 and recently purchasing a III, so I say this with love, but it is a bummer that they didn't do something so that the III can work out of the box with the expensive MFC-101 I already own.

Well they do, as I used mine with the III for 6 months. Just sold it since the FC will be coming soon. I mean it was midi, but it worked.

Myself, I am totally ok with a new dedicated foot pedal for the III. especially since its a little smaller!

the MFC is 8+ years old now, an eternity for technology these days. and if i may say, it is based on similar design concepts to controllers much, much older. consider that the MFC was also designed to work with the original axe-fx from over 10 years ago.

so much has changed since then, the fact that the latest version of Axe-Fx doesn't specifically integrate with something from 8+ years ago that worked with the very first version can't be too surprising. of course it'd be nice if all gear integrated with all gear, but that's just not a technical reality.

several people here have posted in-depth guides with template downloads for using the MFC with the Axe3, and it can do a fair amount of control. but i personally wouldn't expect it to be supported after so much time has passed.

Well, I didn't say that there was no tap dancing... Only that it should be possible ;)

Sounds like 3 or 4 layouts would be required on an FC-6.

Has Fractal confirmed this will be possible (switching between multiple FC layouts within a single III preset) ? That would allow--for instance--assigning 5 of 6 buttons to select presets and scenes, while the 6th button would bring up a new layout reassigning those 5 buttons to control the looper, without changing the preset ?

Apologies if this has already been covered... I couldn't find the info.

Thanks!

Has Fractal confirmed this will be possible (switching between multiple FC layouts within a single III preset) ? That would allow--for instance--assigning 5 of 6 buttons to select presets and scenes, while the 6th button would bring up a new layout reassigning those 5 buttons to control the looper, without changing the preset ?

Apologies if this has already been covered... I couldn't find the info.

Thanks!
You can assign any button any function, including layout selection, as far as I am aware. Also, somewhere Cliff also described the method for selecting any of the layouts at will...

Thanks--that's very cool. Gets more functionality out of a given # of switches--nice!

I'll search for Cliff's note. If you find it, please post a link... I'd like to understand the required tap-dance a little better... (like a lot of folks, I'm trying to decide between the FC-6 and FC-12)

Cheers!

Soon enough, soon enough. I am probably gonna have to buy both and then see one. I really hope the 6 will work for flying as size and weight are key factors for me when flying.
I’ve held one in my hand... the FC6 felt really quite heavy to be honoust...

the MFC is 8+ years old now, an eternity for technology these days. and if i may say, it is based on similar design concepts to controllers much, much older. consider that the MFC was also designed to work with the original axe-fx from over 10 years ago.

so much has changed since then, the fact that the latest version of Axe-Fx doesn't specifically integrate with something from 8+ years ago that worked with the very first version can't be too surprising. of course it'd be nice if all gear integrated with all gear, but that's just not a technical reality.

several people here have posted in-depth guides with template downloads for using the MFC with the Axe3, and it can do a fair amount of control. but i personally wouldn't expect it to be supported after so much time has passed.

Amen brother. Bring on the new gear!

I’ve held one in my hand... the FC6 felt really quite heavy to be honoust...

not as heavy as my MFC was!;) I may very well be able to fly with one less checked back and get the FC-6 and an expression into a carry on with my stage clothes:D Hoping for the possibility anyway...........

I was toying with the FC configuration (front panel) and set up layer 1 with my 5 scenes, lead boost w/ long press to tuner, tap tempo, layout Inc button, and 4 effect bypass buttons - I am thinking the fc-12 for me.

Looks like the layout inc button can wrap around, and you can set it to number of layouts up to 8 or 12 - can’t remember.

So my layout inc button will be a layout 1/layout 2 swap button where 2 is preset inc or up/down, like maybe banks, and something else on the other 8 buttons. Lots of buttons left over for me...

@zionplayer Can a button in a layout be assigned to only send MIDI CC’s to an external MIDI device? Like an Instant Access switch? It appears the Scene MIDI Block will do this, but I’m hoping for this functionality independent of a Scene change. Thanks!

...Myself, I am totally ok with a new dedicated foot pedal for the III. especially since its a little smaller!

I'm also looking forward to the new FCs, but the FC-12 is longer than the MFC-101. (19 1/4" vs. 15 3/4".) My current pedalboard and case neatly fits the MFC-101 and two Mission expression pedals. With the FC-12, I'll probably be able to fit one pedal on the board, but will need to put the other one on the stage floor. That will suck. (Or get a new pedalboard and case.) But either way, my stage footprint will be wider, and in some of the little pubs we play in, that extra 3 1/2" of footprint width will potentially become an issue. I'd love to see a 4x3 switch layout for the FC-12 instead of (or in addition to) the 6x2 that's been developed.

I looking forward to seeing some video demos of the FC-12 and FC-6, so I can better wrap my head around some of the potential workflows. Maybe they will convince me I can get what I need out of the FC-6. I'm not against change, but I'd also like to minimize my tap dancing.

@zionplayer Can a button in a layout be assigned to only send MIDI CC’s to an external MIDI device? Like an Instant Access switch? It appears the Scene MIDI Block will do this, but I’m hoping for this functionality independent of a Scene change. Thanks!

I don’t have an FC yet to be definitive but I don’t see that program option in the config screens and from what I read I don’t think so. Scene midi block will do this, and I use one to control light scene changes with my guitar scene changes. Works great to put the spotlight on me when I hit a lead scene!

I don’t have an FC yet to be definitive but I don’t see that program option in the config screens and from what I read I don’t think so.

Heck, that’s what I suspected. The MIDI Scene Block looks good for tasks as you describe, but not so good for more esoteric needs.

Back
Top Bottom