Thoughts about Gr Guitar AT G210A ST

fabel

Just bought one.
Want to ask to anyone who also has one, how does it compares whith your other frfr system.
Need some opinions on it.
I am just exploring it, and dont have a formed opinion on it...

Can´t speak of the stereo version since I have two of the G210A non-stereo. Compared to my CLR Neos they clearly do not sound as good as the CLRs. The G210As seem a bit honky, boxy or whatever the correct term is and not as clear and detailed in the treble. While I can easily do a rough mix on the CLRs that translates perfectly to my Adams studio monitors I would not try this on the G210As. But, I bought these for live use as a backline because of their weight which is half of the CLR´s weight, therefore good enough for the purpose.

I have played that cab exclusively for almost a year now and I am more than happy with it. Compared to my former FRFR cab it sounds more transparant en detailed. It has lots of clarity without sounding fizzy or harsh. I did not experience the honkyness gitfruit is talking about, but that can be just a matter of taste and modelled amp/cab combinations. Also stereo effects are projected quite nice.

Because of their wieght and the material used (I have the carbonfiber one) they can however interact more with the floor than a wooden cab, but I always use an Auralex Gramma (V2) so basically problem solved.

I always stack them on a little table I built so both cabs are raised from the floor...you can´t hear the lower cab anyway when it is sitting on the floor. So I do not have the floor coupling problem.
I also have the carbonfiber ones. One thing I forgot to mention: they have a very narrow sweet spot, that´s the reason why I was under the impression the tweeter was cutting out when it first tried it...just one step aside from on-axis and sound changes drastically, just like a guitar cab, very directional. I am not used to this since playing my CLRs for a decade.
@Will: which was your former FRFR cab?

Later this week, i'll post some more thoughts about it.
I will try it in the reharsal later in the week...
I own the line 6 Powercab+ and two Headrush 108.

Later this week, i'll post some more thoughts about it.
I will try it in the reharsal later in the week...
I own the line 6 Powercab+ and two Headrush 108.
Sorry for the brief derailment, but I have 1 headrush 108 and was thinking of grabbing a second one. How do you like the pair?

I have the line 6 helx flor and fm9.
With line 6, i was not very happy... so i bought the powercab!
It was an improvement, but now with fm9 the two 108's are very nice.
I think that you allways need to tweek any frfr to match your desired tone!!! But the starting point of the 108's with the fm9 is very good.
I use different outputs to build the presets at home with my monitors (yamaha hs7) and then in live situations a different one to try to match the tone.

I think they sound great if you are used to hear the sound of one then go for another!!!

I have the line 6 helx flor and fm9.
With line 6, i was not very happy... so i bought the powercab!
It was an improvement, but now with fm9 the two 108's are very nice.
I think that you allways need to tweek any frfr to match your desired tone!!! But the starting point of the 108's with the fm9 is very good.
I use different outputs to build the presets at home with my monitors (yamaha hs7) and then in live situations a different one to try to match the tone.

I think they sound great if you are used to hear the sound of one then go for another!!!
I have one HR 108 and can buy a Line 6 Powercab from a friend for much less than retail. Do you think these would go well together in stereo or would I be better off getting another 108? The cost of his lightly used PC and a new 108 are about the same. Which one sounds better with the FM9?

Don't use those two in stereo. They sond very diferent!... but i recomend you to buy it! You may use them both and get a very nice sound.
If you really want stereo then buy another 108 or two powercabs.
They both sound good, but you must eq the output to match your tones.

Don't use those two in stereo. They sond very diferent!... but i recomend you to buy it! You may use them both and get a very nice sound.
If you really want stereo then buy another 108 or two powercabs.
They both sound good, but you must eq the output to match your tones.
Which one do you like better?

I have never used the powercab in stereo... so i dont know how it sounds, but the 108 in stereo is quite good!
If in mono i prefer the powercab.

I have tried the Gr AT210A ST with the band and as gitfruit said it sounds a bit "honkey' or "boxy"... i found that if i make a cut in the 500hz of about -6db with a Q of 3 or 4, then it sounds very very good!
Like i said before all systems need to be tuned...
I am very impressed with the result.
Much better then two 108 or the powercab.
I just need to try it in mono.
I will keep you updated...

I will try the 500 Hz cut, thanks!
I found out why I was thinking the tweeter was cutting out: these cabs are very directional, I think even more than a traditional guitar cab. If I take just one step to the side it sounds completely different than when on axis.

I will try the 500 Hz cut, thanks!
I found out why I was thinking the tweeter was cutting out: these cabs are very directional, I think even more than a traditional guitar cab. If I take just one step to the side it sounds completely different than when on axis.
Yes, they are very directional... you should tilt it about 45 degrees and off the floor!

I found that changing IRs makes a H U G E difference, way more so than with my desktop studio monitors
I was testing with a good amount of volume..

And also the cab speaker impedance in the amp block makes a ton of difference..

I took it out again last night and this time used it like a regular amp behind me 10ft or so and angled up a bit via the Ampwedge.

My main amp is a Dirty Shirley 40 1x12 that I have used at this club a lot over the last few years..
two drummers and it is a rocking stage! The amp was killer and my buddies all said it sounded great.
This is my buddy playing and I was close enough to the stage to hear the cab
This a Dirty Shirley amp model, some greenback IR, don't recall which one, am playing around with them.

after some more critical listening I do think a slight dip at 500 is good...

after trying some different IRs (again!) I am not so sure it needs that cut..
I guess it is highly dependent on which IR and perhaps if one has a lot of low mids it might be needed

I connected the output of my audio interface into GR and ran some varying music throught I and it sounds pretty damn good at volume.

Last edited:
@gitfruit @fabel Any update on how you're liking the GR Guitar AT G210A ST? I'm currently debating between that and a Laney LFR112. I like the look of the Laney better and it has a lot of really good reviews online but I like how light the AT G210A is and the fact that it can be stereo in one unit.

Hello.
I don't have experience on Laney but for the price difference i think the laney will do the job.
If the weight is an issue to you (for me it is) then the GR is a good choice. You will have to put it on a stand an tweek a little because the sound is very directional.
The stereo capability is very nice to have. The stereo "spread" is good, but in context with a band is not easy to take advantage... it takes time to adjust.
Volume is not a problem...
After these first 3 months i am very happy with it.
I hope it helps you!

Back
Top Bottom