Thought for the day.....

ssmorga78

Experienced
I'm sure someone has thought of and suggested this many times before, BUT..... how cool would it be for Fractal to come up with something about the size of a Strymon Big Box pedal with an Input/FX Loop/Output(XLR/TS Combo's) that just housed enough CPU for Amp/Cab modeling!!! That way you could build a pedalboard around the greatest Amp/Cab modeling machine in the world and it would be the size of a Timeline/Mobius/Big Sky!!! I would so rock that as a B-rig!!!

I'm sure someone has thought of and suggested this many times before, BUT..... how cool would it be for Fractal to come up with something about the size of a Strymon Big Box pedal with an Input/FX Loop/Output(XLR/TS Combo's) that just housed enough CPU for Amp/Cab modeling!!! That way you could build a pedalboard around the greatest Amp/Cab modeling machine in the world and it would be the size of a Timeline/Mobius/Big Sky!!! I would so rock that as a B-rig!!!
like the ampli firebox?

I'll be honest, I came from this kind of rig (using the amplifire) and am MUCH happier with the AX8. To get anything like the same functionality as the AX8 you would have to combine the effects through a controller such as G2 and by that time you have probably spent about 3 times the cost of an AX8. And you've only got the effects you have on the board.

Although it could def be cool. It doesn't feel like it would be a cheap solution at all. No way FAS makes it cheaper than the atomic unit the you start adding fx and it gets pricey fast. I can live with just a delay pedal and one pedal like the one we are taking about here but even just those two pedals for my needs would be a pretty penny

I could see the niche for a product such as this, but ultimately I would have to agree with ECWeagles that having the AX8 wins the day for what it can do as an "all-in-one" package, and at a substantial savings. For those though who have grown attached to their analog/digital pedals would probably really enjoy that option.

I could see the niche for a product such as this, but ultimately I would have to agree with ECWeagles that having the AX8 wins the day for what it can do as an "all-in-one" package, and at a substantial savings. For those though who have grown attached to their analog/digital pedals would probably really enjoy that option.
Yea if you already have a bunch of pedals this product would be great

Or something like that programable pedal that digitech made. Just shoot a amp and cab to the pedal, via bluetooth.... would be rad. I'd have no use for it but it would be cool.

I remember a thread a few years back that said something about FAS having about 5-6 products that they were working on. I think we have only seen 2-3 of those...

I am sure it would not be cheap on the cost scale, but just a box to house enough DSP for an Amp Block and Cab Block and some storage for User Cab Files...... I believe that Fractal could get that inside an enclosure the size of the Strymon big boxes. It could still have the dials for basic amp controls like the AX8 does and then 2 buttons on it for Amp X/Y and Cab X/Y. That would be a great solution for those who have those "must have" pedals that they like. I mean, for me personally.....I would have the Timeline, Mobius, and BigSky on a board with it and maybe a boost pedal in front. I just like the ease of dialing in Delays and Reverbs with the Strymon products because I like modulated reverbs and delays .... and Strymon has those things already thrown together for me in their boxes as a preset. Nice and simple to dial in and I am sure others would agree about that as well. Like I said....it was just my Thought of the Day yesterday and I believe just like the other Fractal products we have seen....there would be an immediate market for it. Now, I am by no means knocking any of the effects in the AX8/Axe FX/FX8 units..... just saying that some folks swear by their certain boxes and this would be an easy, space saving way for them to get Fractals amp/cab modeling technology onto their boards without having to worry with the size of the AX8 or racking an Axe FX unit. And yes, I know the Amplifi is out there that does this, but lets be honest.....it doesn't hold a candle to Fractals modeling technology, nor their never ending pursuit of perfection!!!

Interesting discussion. At the moment, my AX8 is my main rig with its huge footprint with 2 expression pedals.
I wanted to keep a smaller footprint as a backup and kept my Boss GP10 for that reason. The 13 pin and standard guitar input made it great and quite flexible. Problem is the FAS is just that much better sounding but like the small footprint with expression pedal of the Boss.

So, to replace the GP10, I am considering an Atomic AF3 as a backup rig. I don't expect it to sound better than the AX8, just close and clearly better than the GP10. The emphasis is on footprint and a complete rig to send out to my FRFR speakers or FOH.
So an AF3 with 2 small expression pedals max and that's it. Outboard pedals are tempting and there are some I really like. They would be used with the AX8 but not the compact backup rig.
That's my thought.

I would rather they go the opposite direction and do a Firehawk type combo with power/speakers designed from the ground up to match the Fractal hardware.

I like the Firehawk 1500 as a stereo FRFR solution but getting it in a package around 25 pounds lighter perhaps. My days of lugging Marshall cabs or combos as heavy as a Fender Twin are over. I would hope the amp models on the Firehawk are a significant improvement over my old Amplifi 150 which I sold for that very reason.

Back
Top Bottom