Those of us with Standards, it's okay.

I bought a b-stock standard and paid just a little more than that. Even if you don't like the amp modeling the effects and routing capabilities are superior to everything else out there. 4CM method is a breeze to work with.

I love the shit out of my standard! I honestly can't see, especially after the new FM update, me upgrading any time in the future... the only concern I have is... has anyone heard anything about still receiving updates? I know that in light of the newest release it seems like there won't be anymore, but I would love to see more amps! If not, I guess I won't be too heart broke.

Last edited:
I bought a b-stock standard and paid just a little more than that. Even if you don't like the amp modeling the effects and routing capabilities are superior to everything else out there. 4CM method is a breeze to work with.

The thing I like the most about my Standard compared to other gear I've owned, it may not do everything I need, but it always does something I need. It's hard to imagine a rig without it being used in some way. I've become dependent on it for a lot of things. A lot of other gear I have can easily be replaced by something else. Not so much with the Standard.

I'm perfectly happy with the Standard, can't see why suddenly I would need the Axe II, as I've never needed the Ultra.

I agree but I do covet some of the utilitarian benefits of the Axe II - Cat-5 MFC connectivity w/o a separate PSU - Direct USB computer connectivity. Those 2 features are pretty damn cool. I'm not going to sell my STD and buy a II for them (yet).

I am not saying that the Axe II isn't cool. I would love to have one but I can't justify the price right now. The USB interface doesn't appeal to me that much. It could be cool but I like my Fireface 400 and would probably keep using that anyway. The Cat-5 connectivity is cool but I don't have an MFC and would probably continue using my old tried and true pedalboards.

Now, all the features and coolness is everything that people have been asking for, Cliff listened. The ease of use and flexibility with the X/Y feature, front knobs, and everything else I would love to have. I just don't need them. Do I want an Axe II. Oh, hell yeah. But I could do more damage with one of those obsolete Ultra's. :D

I agree but I do covet some of the utilitarian benefits of the Axe II - Cat-5 MFC connectivity w/o a separate PSU - Direct USB computer connectivity. Those 2 features are pretty damn cool. I'm not going to sell my STD and buy a II for them (yet).

Of course, Axe II has improvements but for me they're not worth the investment. At least until I have the opportunity to try one, maybe then I'll change my mind, but for now I'm fine.

About 1st feature, I can give you a very good solution, waaaay cheaper than the MFC or the Axe II: GSP1101 + Control 2. That's what I have in the rack living with my Axe, and that means: a) great backup, and b) great floorboard with a simple cat5 cable. Best modeler I've found apart from the Axe.

2nd feature: you can buy a cheap USB to MIDI cable. It's not the same, yeah, but it's not very expensive.

Eventually the Axe II is going to suffer the same fate as the standard or ultra, so to me the whole "latest and greatest" mindset is unnecessary and perhaps even detrimental. I can hold out until Axe III comes out. For now, the standard represents to me a completely viable option to tube amps where I don't feel like I am sacrificing anything tone wise.

My concern is that as people begin shifting over to the Axe II, support on this forum for the Axe I will diminish and it will be harder for me to get answers to questions about the unit.

I think those of us who got standards instead of ultras can't be feeling too much of a sting. We already "settled" for a less loaded product, meaning we didn't care for getting top of the line to begin with. If I had waited until now to start shopping for modeling preamps, I probably still would have gotten the standard, just at a lower cost probably (though I scored mine for pretty cheap already at 1300).
Dude...Excellent post!! I for one was one of the many who purchased a Standard recently. When the countdown started I bought into the hype hoping for Axe Edit or some awesome FW update. Was I disappointed to see a totally new unit that's not even compatible with the Ultra or Standard?...Absolutely!! Did it change the way I look at my Standard or how it sounds? Absolutely NOT. It still sounds just as awesome, if not better thanks to some tweaking, as the day I plugged it in.
It's just like guitar players...There's always someone better than you and always somebody worse. As long as technology keeps advancing gear will ALWAYS out do the previous model. Knowing that I own one of the best units available makes it easier to hold my head up high and say "I am a proud owner of a Fractal Axe-Fx".
Peace

It will be better than OK: our Standards are the same fine tools they have been.

The only thing to fear is the Hyperbole that is soon to come from the early II reviewers! I can hear it now: paradigm shift, Boom, hard to wrap head around... If our heads don't explode from that, all will be well.

enjoy your standards - same sonic quality as the Ultra and, with the exception of a few evaluation units, still the best processor that you can actually own :)

No worries here in Sydney. Life appears to be going on as normal!!!

I usually try to imagine what someone like Slash could do with a crappy les paul copy or shithouse amp and think to myself: "yeah he'd probably rock that shit pretty hard" - that motivates me to become a better player than what I am now. Actually, dwelling on how much I DON'T deserve to have a Standard can be slightly depressing in a way, so if I had an Ultra or axe II, I'd just feel like a tool anyway.

Based on some forum reactions here, it makes me wonder how many of us would be driving red ferrarris if we only had the money - yuckie

I'm happy we're all stayin strong with the Standard - we really need the forum to stay alive too!

I've had mine for three years now and I'm still learning things about it. I want a II but don't see myself selling the Standard to get it. More than likely, my last remaining tube amp and what's left of my pedals will go and the Standard will become my second/backup rig.

The most effective use of tools is only accomplished with complete ego detachment. An obsession with having the "best" toys is not conducive to making good music.

I can vouch for that. I wasted many years buying and flipping pedals, amps, and guitars in search of the holy grail of tone. I finally figured out that I can make my stuff sound better by simply practicing more and becoming a better musician.

I can vouch for that. I wasted many years buying and flipping pedals, amps, and guitars in search of the holy grail of tone. I finally figured out that I can make my stuff sound better by simply practicing more and becoming a better musician.

Where's the like button when you need it?

Tomorrow is going to be an EPIC day for me.

My Axe Fx Standard is supposed to arrive tomorrow as well as my ART SLA-2 (that I got BRAND NEW from samedaymusic for $247 after I got them to pricematch a mom and pop store) AND my cables from musicians friend to hook up the ART to the Axe! All 3 are coming from different places, but all are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Oh and my 2x2 Midisport arrived today so I can update it right away. I just need to grab a midi cable from Best Buy cause I figured it would come with one.

I'll be busy for the next few months.

FYI...I bought the Standard on Saturday on here BEFORE the announcement, but I'm still happy with my purchase as of now.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is going to be an EPIC day for me.

My Axe Fx Standard is supposed to arrive tomorrow as well as my ART SLA-2 (that I got BRAND NEW from samedaymusic for $247 after I got them to pricematch a mom and pop store) AND my cables from musicians friend to hook up the ART to the Axe! All 3 are coming from different places, but all are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Oh and my 2x2 Midisport arrived today so I can update it right away. I just need to grab a midi cable from Best Buy cause I figured it would come with one.

I'll be busy for the next few months.

FYI...I bought the Standard on Saturday on here BEFORE the announcement, but I'm still happy with my purchase as of now.

You will enjoy it believe me. I've had many times where I wanna call off work due to my standard. Too bad bills can't pay themselves.

I think those of us who got standards instead of ultras can't be feeling too much of a sting. We already "settled" for a less loaded product, meaning we didn't care for getting top of the line to begin with. If I had waited until now to start shopping for modeling preamps, I probably still would have gotten the standard, just at a lower cost probably (though I scored mine for pretty cheap already at 1300).

Basically, I intend to do the same thing I do with my iPhone (and a few other things) - upgrade to every _other_ release. So Axe FX II is not in the plans, but Axe FX III will be (assuming pricing remains sane).

Back
Top Bottom