Those of us with Standards, it's okay.

qingcong

Inspired
I think those of us who got standards instead of ultras can't be feeling too much of a sting. We already "settled" for a less loaded product, meaning we didn't care for getting top of the line to begin with. If I had waited until now to start shopping for modeling preamps, I probably still would have gotten the standard, just at a lower cost probably (though I scored mine for pretty cheap already at 1300).

I never felt I settled. I bought what my needs dictated. The standard sounds the same as the Ultra except for the lack of a few effects and I think a parameter or two on the delay blocks. The standard is still a great piece of gear. I certainly have not felt any sting.

I think those of us who got standards instead of ultras can't be feeling too much of a sting. We already "settled" for a less loaded product, meaning we didn't care for getting top of the line to begin with. If I had waited until now to start shopping for modeling preamps, I probably still would have gotten the standard, just at a lower cost probably (though I scored mine for pretty cheap already at 1300).

When I bought my Used Standard thats what I payed for it 3 years ago. I had an Ultra and sold it in 2009 for $100 less than what I payed for it new in 2008. I have no regrets on the decision I made as the Standard serves me just fine. If or when I go to sell it if I loose a few hundred it won't bother me in the least.

When I bought my Standard, there was no Ultra, so it was at the time the "top of the line." I declined to upgrade when the Ultra came out, because the additional capability was not of great importance to my use.

The most effective use of tools is only accomplished with complete ego detachment. An obsession with having the "best" toys is not conducive to making good music.

The most effective use of tools is only accomplished with complete ego detachment. An obsession with having the "best" toys is not conducive to making good music.
That needs to be on a plaque somewhere in my studio. Can I quote you? :)

Case in point......
evh_van_halen.jpg

One thing that seems to get overlooked is the fact that the Standard and Ultra are equivalent in the sound they produce given a simple amp-cab-effects signal chain. The difference is that the ultra has additional processing and memory that allows for more effects, looper, multi-band compressor, etc. Not so much on this board, but it's interesting since the release of Axe2 the Standard has been relegated to L6 status by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

My standard will continue to be what I use day in and day out, probably until it craps out altogether.

quite literal to as only a hand full of people even have one at this point.

My standard still slays the small competition I have around me. I brought it to a jam session the a few weeks ago with some older guys and you could tell they were laughing at first. By the end of the night they all wanted to play through my rig, a standard and a k12. They had some nice vintage tube amps that sounded great but they were intrigued. Another buddy has an Eleven Rack. Sounds good but he drools over my Axe. Haven't brought it up against a POD HD yet but the few people I ran into with the previous POD's were all jealous. My standard is still damn good. And just got better with V.11.

There is a Standard on ebay now with a bid for 1400.00. I think it will hold a good value because it will stay in demand for people that cant afford the 1700 To 2200 range.

And Another thing about the standard.

Before I bought my standard I was carrying around about 1300 in pedals alone without the functionality I have today. At the very least the standard is the best multi-effect unit on the market that is made for guitars. I had delay pedal that was either on or off with one setting. Now I can have access to many that sound better than what I had. Same goes for all my other pedals. I have seen boards with much more than what I had and they still don't have the capabilities of one Axe Standard has. Course I am not helping my case that they are all worthless now and someone needs to sell me their Ultra for under a grand.

Here is how I see it...

I have a Standard and it's absolutely awesome. Love the thing. Everyone that has ever heard me play it asks me what I'm playing through.

Now the second one is out. It's better than the first. That just means I can now use one as the main, and the second one as an effects device, or heck use it to fill out the sound.

I just don't see a negative here.

Way I see it is that it's a great place to be. Everyone should be thanking Cliff, not bitching at him....

When I bought my Standard, there was no Ultra, so it was at the time the "top of the line." I declined to upgrade when the Ultra came out, because the additional capability was not of great importance to my use.

Yes, I think that principle applies to every discipline.

And Another thing about the standard.

Before I bought my standard I was carrying around about 1300 in pedals alone without the functionality I have today. At the very least the standard is the best multi-effect unit on the market that is made for guitars. I had delay pedal that was either on or off with one setting. Now I can have access to many that sound better than what I had. Same goes for all my other pedals. I have seen boards with much more than what I had and they still don't have the capabilities of one Axe Standard has. Course I am not helping my case that they are all worthless now and someone needs to sell me their Ultra for under a grand.

This is exactly where I was three years ago. And after the "waiting list" discount I think I paid $1200 for the standard. My setup sounds much better than the amp/pedals thing without all the fuss.

Back
Top Bottom