Those looking for smooth, fluid lead tones - just add AIR

VidarAus

Experienced
All,

I posted this information within another thread but thought it was such a profound discovery (for me anyway) that I thought I might make a new thread about it.

My favourite lead patch of all time is Marco's Andromeda lead. It was created several firmware revisions ago, and yet without any tweaking it still sounds just as good (actually better!) with the latest firmware! Amazing!

While creating a Petrucci Live LTE rhythm patch, I discovered by complete accident just how powerful the AIR parameter in the CAB block really is in shaping your tone.

Instead of trying to explain it all, download the following patch and try it for yourself. It is the original Andromeda patch, with some tweaking to the AIR paramter in the CAB block.

[attachment=0:lym0d59a]Andromeda Lead AIR.syx[/attachment:lym0d59a]

By setting the AIR frequency low (1000-2000hz) and cranking up the AIR level (76% or more) the tone smooths right out. A lot of the fizz is gone, it feels more liquid under the fingers, the guitar seems easier to play and it just all around sounds awesome.

Try twisting the AIR level down to 0%, then back up. See the difference?

I would love to get other peoples feedback as this could be something unique to my setup, but damn it really does make a huge difference!

Hope it helps someone in their quest for the ultimate tone,

VidarAus

Attachments

• Andromeda Lead AIR.syx
    2 KB · Views: 648
Re: Those looking for smooth, fluid lead tones - just add AI

Thought I should post a short clip to showcase the Andromeda AIR tone. Should hope hose who are unfamiliar with Marco's brilliant lead tone to get a good idea of what it sounds like. Actually, find Marco's post and then you will hear how a master uses it!

I tried a take of a section in the song 'About to Crash' by Dream Theater - part of the epic Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Sorry that the backing track and mixing sucks, but it was the best I could do on short notice. Please ignore the odd bend that is a bit out of tune :oops:

Andromeda AIR clip.ogg

Also, it is in ogg format (again, all I could do at short notice - long story....).

Cheers,

VidarAus

Actually, if you take the preset above and crank the Presence to 3.23 it starts to get very close to Petrucci's tone on SCORE for Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Pretty close considering I am playing at levels low enough to not wake people sleeping in the room next door to me...I can only imagine what one could do with this patch if it was running flat out through a big power amp and a couple 4x12's. Then it would really sing!

Goodnight folks.

OK, really have to go to bed now - man the Axe is addictive.

Although this thread is getting slightly off topic (and is nly being added to by me lol!) if anyone is interested I think the previous patch with the presence cranked a bit is really hitting the spot for a SCORE Dream Theater tone.

Try it and see if you agree - is closer and better than the clip I posted above (less 'woody' and more cutting - see if it suits your tastes).

All hail Cliff :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Andromeda Lead PRES.syx
    2 KB · Views: 388

Thanks for the tip - haven't played with the air parameter at all yet.

VidarAus said:
Andromeda AIR clip.ogg

Also, it is in ogg format (again, all I could do at short notice - long story....).

Cheers,

VidarAus

I converted your clip into an mp3 for you (because you know, I'm helpful like that :D ). Feel free to add the link to your post if you want:

(direct download link)

https://www.yousendit.com/directDownloa ... RmM2aXU1dg

Nice sounding tone by the way,

shredi knight said:
VidarAus said:
Andromeda AIR clip.ogg

Cheers,

VidarAus

I converted your clip into an mp3 for you (because you know, I'm helpful like that :D ). Feel free to add the link to your post if you want:

(direct download link)

https://www.yousendit.com/directDownloa ... RmM2aXU1dg

Nice sounding tone by the way,
Wow, you really do have OCD...

Thanks for converting the file Shredi. Really appreciate it.

I need to get a bit organised with my PC - all my software is out of whack at the moment. I recorded it using Reaper (which I am fidning to be excellent by the way) and have not gotten around to installing the lame codec to do mixdowns to mp3.

Will have to re-record with another variation of that patch soon - one I think you will like even more (it has more cut and sizzle!).

VidarAus

Hey guys
I just this post and downloaded your clip. As a devout Dream Theater fan and especially John Petrucci fan, I must say "Great job". I have had a bitch of a time trying to nail his tone even with his signature guitar and pickups. Tonight I'll be playing with AIR. Sounds like a blast.

I can't open the file either .. But i'm only a standard user, so that might be the problem :?

The problem is that the forum migrated to a new host at the beginning of this year. Any file attachments to posts older than January 2011 no longer work. Youo should get in touch with (PM) the guy who posted the patch.

Back
Top Bottom