Thornbucker+ in DK-24 HSS

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So I was inspired by another recent pickup thread and decided to put a Suhr Thornbucker+ into my MIM Charvel DK-24 HSS replacing the factory Seymour Duncan Full Shred.

I still need to put fresh strings on as the current ones are a bit old but it's an interesting change.

Interestingly, the TB+ seems to be slightly overpowered by the Duncan SSL-6 single coils.

I can raise the humbucker to get a better balance but I find it sounds better to me lower.

It works really well in 2nd position with the inner coil plus the middle pickup and sounds really good in middle position with the outer coil plus the neck pickup (which is pretty bright/clean with the Full Shred).
One thing I'm not 100% sure of is that the pickup wiring colors are identical to those of the Duncan, although I think they are:
Green + bare to ground
Red + White as coil tap
Black is hot

I'm not great at wiring but one thing I'm trying to figure out is how they can use each coil of humbucker individually with the red+white going to a single lug on the switch...

A5793447-C616-4290-B35B-B32B6460C9A6.jpeg

How did you get the pickups to move? I have the HSH version of that same guitar
and the pickups in mine are literally direct mounted into the body with no springs,
foam, or nothing.

It is really the only thing I don't like about the guitar.

How did you get the pickups to move? I have the HSH version of that same guitar
and the pickups in mine are literally direct mounted into the body with no springs,
foam, or nothing.

It is really the only thing I don't like about the guitar.
The bridge pickup has fairly stiff foam under it.

I think the single coils have a bit of surgical tubing over the screws if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom