This would be nice, if possible?

It's a nice concept but be aware this has been discussed many times in similar forms.

Just a few things to think about:
  • The unit would cost more because it's basically an FX3+FC12 plus an extra five switches and extra scribble strips plus their associated electronics.
  • It'd run hotter because it has a lot less air space inside the chassis so figure the fan(s) would be on a lot more often and probably be a lot louder.
  • Might not be able to handle the I/O the FX3+FC12 can because the back panel is 3" instead of 5".
  • Would split Fractal's development efforts into three parts, slowing testing and delivery of software, and increasing the support load.
I'm not sure I'd want a unit that expensive sitting on the floor; I've already had someone step on my FM3 and break the FASLink cable so I got off lucky, next time they might step on the panel or power jack.

Instead I find the FM3 is more than capable for live stuff, and with the FC6 and OMG9 it's very flexible. If the FC6+OMG9 isn't flexible enough I can use my FC12 instead and switch to OMG15 or use the default FC12 layout. If I took my FX3 out it'd be safely ensconced in a rack case behind me and I'd have the FC at the end of a 20' XLR cable to keep the head away from those who have no business being near it.

It's a nice concept but be aware this has been discussed many times in similar forms.

• The unit would cost more because it's basically an FX3+FC12 plus an extra five switches and extra scribble strips plus their associated electronics.
  • It'd run hotter because it has a lot less air space inside the chassis so figure the fan(s) would be on a lot more often and probably be a lot louder.
  • Might not be able to handle the I/O the FX3+FC12 can because the back panel is 3" instead of 5".
  • Would split Fractal's development efforts into three parts, slowing testing and delivery of software, and increasing the support load.
I'm not sure I'd want a unit that expensive sitting on the floor; I've already had someone step on my FM3 and break the FASLink cable so I got off lucky, next time they might step on the panel or power jack.

Instead I find the FM3 is more than capable for live stuff, and with the FC6 and OMG9 it's very flexible.
Like i said:
Kemper Rack + Remote, Thats 2.144€ in the EU
The Kemper Stage (Rack and Remote together) for 1555€
- So It can be cheaper, 1 housing, less PCB boards, etc..

Less Air means a better Air Flow, so i think its even better.... (The only reason the AXE III is so big is because the high front is needed for the display)
The can reorganize the I/O.
The support is gonna be the same, also the editor is the same? .. is like a FC12 and a AXE III, bt than one peace, like Kemper (also the same Support and editor)

And there may be people who need more than an FM3 can give, or is it because an FM3 is good for you it should be good for everyone Greg
Not wrongly intended hé Greg, ;-)

Looks great and IMHO there is a market for this concept. Some musicians want the full power of a III and the portability and all-in-one concept of a FM3

Why?
Look at the price of the Kemper Rack + Remote, Thats 2.144€ in the EU
And now there is The Kemper Stage (Rack and Remote together) for 1555€
Kemper runs on tech that is pretty old and nowhere near as expensive Axe-Fx 3. Companies also tend to charge more for rack + remote vs floorboard units just because of what the market can support. I would also expect the people willing to buy a floorboard Axe-Fx 3 is smaller than you think if it costs well over 2000 euros.

For this hypothetical all-in-one, you would expect to pay about the same as the Axe-Fx 3 + FC-12 because the costs are not in things like chassis but having to develop new boards etc to facilitate cramming an Axe-Fx 3 into a smaller enclosure, possibly a new firmware to support too if it cannot run directly with Axe-Fx 3 fw. The costs for most of the parts inside the Axe-Fx 3 would not change either.

I get that people want something that is more powerful than the FM3 and not a rack unit. I'd like that too but not in a floorboard format. I feel that my FM3 + Airstep system is more convenient than having my big Line6 Helix Floor sitting on the floor because I can put the FM3 somewhere higher for easy control access and still keep the switching down on the floor. Or I can separate the parts when I don't need them.

If anything I'd like to see a "FM0" that drops all the on board footswitches and uses that space for more DSP power (doesn't even need to be Axe-Fx 3 level but above FM3), I/O and maybe knobs while retaining a non-rack form factor.

Kemper runs on tech that is pretty old and nowhere near as expensive Axe-Fx 3. Companies also tend to charge more for rack + remote vs floorboard units just because of what the market can support. I would also expect the people willing to buy a floorboard Axe-Fx 3 is smaller than you think if it costs well over 2000 euros.

For this hypothetical all-in-one, you would expect to pay about the same as the Axe-Fx 3 + FC-12 because the costs are not in things like chassis but having to develop new boards etc to facilitate cramming an Axe-Fx 3 into a smaller enclosure, possibly a new firmware to support too if it cannot run directly with Axe-Fx 3 fw. The costs for most of the parts inside the Axe-Fx 3 would not change either.

I get that people want something that is more powerful than the FM3 and not a rack unit. I'd like that too but not in a floorboard format. I feel that my FM3 + Airstep system is more convenient than having my big Line6 Helix Floor sitting on the floor because I can put the FM3 somewhere higher for easy control access and still keep the switching down on the floor. Or I can separate the parts when I don't need them.

If anything I'd like to see a "FM0" that drops all the on board footswitches and uses that space for more DSP power (doesn't even need to be Axe-Fx 3 level but above FM3), I/O and maybe knobs while retaining a non-rack form factor.
If Fractal ever releases a new floorboard that has more power and knobs, it will surely be over $2000. I can assure you that!!
And it's much cheaper for Fractal to make some sort of AXE 3 pedal so that the editor and updates can be the same.
Why make it difficult when you can make it easy

Instead I find the FM3 is more than capable for live stuff, and with the FC6 and OMG9 it's very flexible. If the FC6+OMG9 isn't flexible enough I can use my FC12 instead and switch to OMG15 or use the default FC12 layout. If I took my FX3 out it'd be safely ensconced in a rack case behind me and I'd have the FC at the end of a 20' XLR cable to keep the head away from those who have no business being near it.
I second that!
I would never ever that someone steps on my gear on stage.
I always keep my gear safe in a rack and pu a controller on stage.

Back
Top Bottom