This week I compared - AxeIII/Boss GT1000/Kemper/Helix Floor

Funny how you disliked palm mutes on the kemper - i had the exact same issue. The bottom end was giving me a hard time and the forum was like „ it’s never going to be updated because its perfect“ … its a good machine and i would love to have a „copy“ of my exact amps, but the bad bottom end and ignorance of the comunity was, reeeeeeeealy bad!

Funny how you disliked palm mutes on the kemper - i had the exact same issue. The bottom end was giving me a hard time and the forum was like „ it’s never going to be updated because its perfect“ … its a good machine and i would love to have a „copy“ of my exact amps, but the bad bottom end and ignorance of the comunity was, reeeeeeeealy bad!
100% agreed. I'm very unhappy with my Kemper and very unhappy with profiling in general. It has never sounded close to any of my amps, and I'm sick and tired of being gaslit by Kemper fanbois who want to insist that either I'm wrong and they are right, or that I don't know what I'm talking about, or that it isn't a big deal.

If a product professes to capture the sound of your amp, then it better bloody do it.

@Ugly Bunny

I may have exagerrated on the 14 snapshots thing, but some are definitely higher than 8.

This is our latest album:

I use a lot of different sounds that if you listen to typical blues player on Facebook, I apparently don't need to worry about - use a spring reverb or a 100% wet 20 second Hall reverb with a reverse delay going into it... apparently no one can tell the difference anyway!! 🤣

If you can be bothered, I even have a tonelist:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2j2w7swymv8ofz/The World Inside - Tone List.pdf?dl=0

These aren't all different snapshots necessarily, but there's quite a lot of changes and snapshots are a great way to pair down the changes. I then need to be able to bring a few extra effects in and out of those snapshots I think.

Totally up for being edumacated on how best to setup a live workflow!

That's badass. You all should be proud of that. :)

Okay, I feel dumb. I didn't even consider setting up long presses to access different layouts. That could be a really cool workflow thing.... I need to puzzle this out.... but what if I toggled between layout 1, which is just scenes, and layout 2, which is just effects. Then turn off scene revert.....

Gain levels-wise.... I typically use 4 channels, whether it's modelled or real amps.... and I bring an EQ in and out depending on the channel, so that is ripe for some scenes action.

I do like that assigning effects to the control switches effectively takes their bypass state out of the scenes selection. That makes it much more like amp+pedals too.
This is why the FC-12 is maybe a bit too mind-blowing for me. No layout has to be "just" anything, and all layouts are freely editable. (I have left the master layout alone for now, that could go severely wrong). Switching between layouts doesn't cause scenes to revert (I'm sure it can, but I don't want that, and it doesn't on mine...) Every pedal can be assigned to pretty much anything in any layout for short and/or long press, and there are a few different ways that pedals can react to either a short or a long press. I found I had to limit myself to making it only do the things I needed at first, and at some point I'll figure out just how much it's capable of for me. It's a lot!

Sounds like control switches might be pretty powerful given you want to link EQ to amp channel changes. I generally find if I try to do pretty much everything for a song in a single preset it avoids me making the mistake of changing stuff in one, but forgetting I haven't set up a "global" in the preset, so it changes every other place I use the same block when I need it to. (Or vice versa, when I don't. I figured out last night that one of my main cab blocks was sounding a bit weird because I'd somehow saved it as a 4" Pignose instead of an ML labs 4 x 12...)

AFX III with an FC-12 has immensely powerful switching capabilities. I think it's more limited by my own imagination than the options available.

Have fun!

Liam

Tones. Compositions. Performances. Arrangements. Dynamics. What kind of monster
did you guys have to conjure up to deliver on all fronts??

@Ugly Bunny

I may have exagerrated on the 14 snapshots thing, but some are definitely higher than 8.

This is our latest album:

I use a lot of different sounds that if you listen to typical blues player on Facebook, I apparently don't need to worry about - use a spring reverb or a 100% wet 20 second Hall reverb with a reverse delay going into it... apparently no one can tell the difference anyway!! 🤣

If you can be bothered, I even have a tonelist:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2j2w7swymv8ofz/The World Inside - Tone List.pdf?dl=0

These aren't all different snapshots necessarily, but there's quite a lot of changes and snapshots are a great way to pair down the changes. I then need to be able to bring a few extra effects in and out of those snapshots I think.

Totally up for being edumacated on how best to setup a live workflow!

I've only listened to the first song so far but this sounds amazing.

Yeah I’ve heard the first 15 seconds or so of the clip, had a mental todo to come back and listen properly. Super glad I did, I’ve been craving some fresh instrumental stuff and this is great stuff. Loving the guitar work. AFX I presume? I love the sound in machinations.

With all respect, I just don't get why anyone - except reviewers and manufacturers - would want and keep that many different modelers.
I see people on TGP switching and debating all the time.
Just choose one and learn to get the most out of it. If it doesn't work out, buy another.
Eases the mind.
Exactly what I did, bought a Helix floor and FM3 shortly after each other. I did not like the Helix and loved the FM3, so the Helix was flipped and I can spend my time on learning the FM3

@AndyTNBD , I absolutely love the controlled feedback on the guitar in The World Inside. Would you mind sharing any tips on how you did that with the Axe? (If it’s on the Axe) It’s a sound my amp used to do when the planets were aligned, but could never achieve it consistently.

Back
Top Bottom