This must be the best overdriven tone I have heard in my life

1959 Gibson Les Paul - $250,000
Trainwreck head - $25,000
Vintage Marshall cab - $2000
240p video to demonstrate tone - Priceless

FWIW, I do not need $300,000 worth of gear to sound good.

Wow.

Quite the kit.

Tone doesn't surprise me, I think this is achievable with a plethora of options available today... I really do. And I think - again - the fingers are 90% responsible for the tone here.

Cool post nonetheless.
Mo

Very cool! Like ventura said, this is the sculpted work of a very skilled player. The tone is a very rich color indeed, but the player in this case is the high quality brush!
(Up till now I did not know much about the Trainwreck tone. Thanks for sharing.) :)

240p video to demonstrate tone - Priceless

LOL! Well the video is 5+ years old.

I couldn't find any mention (in youtube comments) about how it was mic'ed.. are we hearing that close-mic on the bottom-right cone or a room mic further back by the camera? It sounds more like a room mic to me. It still gets the point across - that rig sounds awesome.

We're so used to hearing direct (USB to PC) clips of the Axe, and they sound great, but sometimes that open, airy, mic-in-the-room thing is cool too. Sometimes people post these 'room' clips and say "Can the Axe get this tone?" and nobody mentions the room factor. Not many guys make Axe-Fx clips by sticking a mic out in the room and playing their live rig.

LOL! Well the video is 5+ years old.

I couldn't find any mention (in youtube comments) about how it was mic'ed.. are we hearing that close-mic on the bottom-right cone or a room mic further back by the camera? It sounds more like a room mic to me. It still gets the point across - that rig sounds awesome.

We're so used to hearing direct (USB to PC) clips of the Axe, and they sound great, but sometimes that open, airy, mic-in-the-room thing is cool too. Sometimes people post these 'room' clips and say "Can the Axe get this tone?" and nobody mentions the room factor. Not many guys make Axe-Fx clips by sticking a mic out in the room and playing their live rig.
Well, it was just my opinion. Glen has great chops, and has a nice collection of vintage gear. Just sayin' that the live tone in that room would have been amazingly awesome, and significantly different than what we hear on the YouTube vid.

We're so used to hearing direct (USB to PC) clips of the Axe, and they sound great, but sometimes that open, airy, mic-in-the-room thing is cool too.Sometimes people post these 'room' clips and say "Can the Axe get this tone?" and nobody mentions the room factor. Not many guys make Axe-Fx clips by sticking a mic out in the room and playing their live rig.

Everyone says (or said) that to get the 'amp in the room' sound, use far-field IRs.

I think its really important then, if you are serious about getting amp in the room tone with FRFR, that your speaker placement, listening position and acoustic treatment in the room are suitable. Otherwise, won't we just be listening to an amp in a room.. in a room?

Quite achievable with axe fx 2.... what you hear here is mostly coming from the player...he knows that amp and he knows how to coach the tone out of that thing...he understand how it works and responds to his touch. EASY PEASY! what you really like is his ability to make great tones with his fingers... :)

Back
Top Bottom