This may sound silly... Reading

FPFL

Experienced
But I'm going to read the manual! GASP!

This is my 4th Fractal product, as like many of you I've followed the arc of development and even had an AX8 for a while, but I realized I've only ever skimmed the manuals for nuggets. I'm thinking it's worth the time investment to be pro-active for a change.

I'm not a super-tweaker or need crazy patches. I'm a rock guy doing common rock things, and the Fractal stuff does that so well out of the box I never needed to go crazy, but I'm intrigued about what else might be useful.

In the era of YouTube I've learned a lot from videos but like a musician who can't sight read, I feel like I must be missing something. Time to stop cutting corners. My new years' resolution in general.

I joined Fractal with the Axe III. Before purchasing I read the manual front to back numerous times. It helped a lot IMO. When I got my Axe, it was very familiar and I had a general clue of what to do as a result. I still routinely refer back to the manual.

I think that this is a good idea that can only enhance your Axe experience.

The manual is great and it is mandatory reading/reference. However, there are many tips, tricks, etc. that the manual doesn’t cover. IMO, mandatory reading/reference also includes, Yek’s guide to Fractal amp models and the forum for your product. It also takes several readings of all of the above for a user to get the most out of the equipment. Then you have commercial products such as Cooper’s master class and presets created by Moke, Glenn Delaun, Austin Buddy. Finally, over 5 years I learned all these resources are great and indispensable but trial and error with your rig, in your playing environment and with YOUR ears is ultimately the most important thing to help you reach your desired tones.

When I bought my Axe Fx II back in 2013, I had to fly to the Philippines on business while it was shipping.

I loaded the manual into my Kindle. I read the whole thing cover to cover twice on the flight.

I highly recommend reading it at least once. But a second or third read will reveal things you might have not processed the first time around... And some things might become clearer.

In my case, I had to wait a bit longer to apply my new found knowledge as I developed appendicitis and had to have an emergency appendectomy while in Manila. It took a while to recover ;)

I joined Fractal with the Axe III. Before purchasing I read the manual front to back numerous times. It helped a lot IMO. When I got my Axe, it was very familiar and I had a general clue of what to do as a result. I still routinely refer back to the manual.

I think that this is a good idea that can only enhance your Axe experience.
I’m glad I’m not the only one that reads manuals of products before purchasing them.

Much to my wife's dismay I wont fire up anything until I read the manual front to back. I absolutely HATE it when I don't understand why something is happening and I don't know how to adjust it. My wife on the other hand will push every button endlessly until she gets what she wants........... ugh............ Oh wait, maybe she's pushing my buttons:(

Much to my wife's dismay I wont fire up anything until I read the manual front to back. I absolutely HATE it when I don't understand why something is happening and I don't know how to adjust it. My wife on the other hand will push every button endlessly until she gets what she wants........... ugh............ Oh wait, maybe she's pushing my buttons:(
I think it’s just music equipment that I read the manual. Everything else I just smash buttons and hope.

Don't forget the Tech Notes page on this forum. A great reference section beyond the manual and yek's guides.

Yes, read it! :)

I read the manual twice before I ordered the III, then a couple more times before I got it. I still refer to it regularly. I'm going to buy Cooper's class, looking for more in-depth info on it. I have built patches that sound great, but I'm barley scratching the surface of what this thing can do. I'm going to get the Austin Buddy presets too to really get the feel of some the amps when tweaked by an expert.

I'm not new to modeling either, started with eleven rack, then amplifire, then Helix. And I also had the Fractal FX8 for awhile.

Leon's YT channel is invaluable. And his presets, too. Thanks for doing all that for us man.

Back
Top Bottom