This is why I use pedals with AxeFX, why do you?

In all seriousness as well, stacking pedals works a bit better in reality than in the box as well

Treble booster in a Sunface vs treble booster drive block into a fuzz drive block ? Doesn’t sound or behave the same….

Likewise running an OD before or after a Muff style fuzz interacts differently than 2 drive blocks do.

Mods/delay/reverbs don't thrill me too much but unique sounding distortions, fuzzes, ODs, and vibes facinate me if I have not been able replicate their sound completely in axfx (probably due to my own ineptness)

Like yesterday I saw a vid on that Claptonlike "woman tone" pedal and now I've got it in my head that it would be a cool one to have even though I can get close on Axfx + it has the nice paintjob on it.

So ya >

"Pedals... they're objects... in the world... and they accrue vibes... like, they live a life... and they absorb their surroundings and they have vibes."
Yeah, hippie talk, but I swear on my late uncles wah wah it’s true ( late 60s Thomas organ co Vox )

Reactions: ESW
Mods/delay/reverbs don't thrill me too much but unique sounding distortions, fuzzes, ODs, and vibes facinate me if I have not been able replicate their sound completely in axfx (probably due to my own ineptness)

Naaa, I say it’s really hard to replicate some things, it gets sooooo close though. One thing is the taper of the knobs, and the UI affect the way you set the axe blocks vs a pedal.

Fuzz face style fuzzes use the guitar as part of the circuit ( as stated above ).

But also, Feelings :)

There's a few pedals/devices out there that do something pretty unique that isn't really practical to replicate if you end up using it a lot. I have a Microcosm, and while you could probably sit there and figure out how to make a bunch of those sounds in the box, it's not practical from a time perspective, and the Microcosm works perfectly just sitting in the loop. Totally worth it for me. My Shallow Water is another- it does something very specific and odd, and I'm not sure I'd be able to recreate that very easily. In the end, one of the reason why I love the Axe Fx is because it works so well with other pieces of gear- real amps, outside pedals, etc. but you can also use it as its own complete rig. It's just gear, and it's all good.

I have generally used various overdrive pedals when gigging any modeler. I don't always end up switching them in but they are there there as a security blanket in case the venue, sound person or whatever causes problems.

Digital devices have gotten very good at replicating sound but there is still a subtle "feel" to an analog fuzz/overdrive/distortion box that digital devices have not yet fully captured. It's also super fast and easy to reach down and coax a TS or whatever into compliance to compensate for said venue, sound person, or whatever.

Truth be told, I can’t get some sounds out of my Fractal gear that I can out of some pedals. The Boss Hi Band Flanger comes to mind. Having said that, the Fractal gear plays really nice with outside gear, so no harm really….

I feel like folks in this thread will appreciate the board I run in front of my AFIII
Just answer the question: I use these in front because I have them around and as has been stated by other users in the thread, it’s fun to have some part of the signal chain that is an excuse to take part in the consumerist side of guitar-playing. The Fractal units really don’t “need” any other guitar gear to chase any tone. Sure there are a few quirky things that some pedals may do, but they are basically one-trick-ponies in that case. This is also why I don’t run even a single pedal in front of the AFIII or FM3 when playing live.

TL;DR: I don’t need to use any of these but I do so exclusively at home because it’s fun.

Say no more, to the Axemobile!!!
Preset 49, Sweep Resonator. There’s my blueprint. But there are so many knobs…….
Oh well, down the rabbithole we go…… Boss HF2 or bust….. 😀.
Thanks M@ for steering this buffoon in the right direction….

I think that often the Axe can come close enough for live work. I don’t really want to have $5k of rare pedals sitting on a stage after all, but at home/studio grabbing a few pedals, plugging them all in and have all the direct controls right in front of you, experiencing the interaction of all the knobs, swapping order around, it sure produces some fun sonic experiments.

Wah before or after a fuzz, buffer in front vs behind a fuzz, all make such different and hard to replicate sounds for better or worse.

Classic boss cs2 compressor in front of a rams head muff, total Gilmour tones, but what’s doing the magic?

Is it the compression on the cs2 is unique, or, is it the fact it’s got a rather low quality buffer like most Boss pedals and your not only running compression into a muff but a buffered signal, as as such, it sounds the way it sounds….

The Klon had an always active buffer. It made stuff sound better just because it was in the chain, didn’t even need to turn it on lol

Back
Top Bottom