This is why Boogie tones sucked...

I wonder how much an ir would help over just tweaking a patch to sound good. Once it sounds good I wonder if you could shoot an ir of the room it was dialed in, then when playing in a different room, shoot an ir of that room and then do a tone match. In theory it should sound like the original room right? Well until it fills up with people

That will only counteract the offending frequencies at their source (in time) but still won't counter the reverberation of those frequencies over time, which also greatly affect the sound. To get rid of those you'd have to OVER compensate, which would translate into a huge dip in the audio spectrum at those frequencies. He needs to fix the room.

However, that scoop wouldn't be present in his recordings assuming he disables the EQ prior to mixdown. It's solely to enhance the listening experience on his end for the sake of the performance. Assuming he has a decent set of cans, he'd have a general idea whether the low-end in the recording is tame and intact.

However, that scoop wouldn't be present in his recordings assuming he disables the EQ prior to mixdown. It's solely to enhance the listening experience on his end for the sake of the performance. Assuming he has a decent set of cans, he'd have a general idea whether the low-end in the recording is tame and intact.

This solution is precisely the 'last step' in the RoomEQWizzard paradigm. The program can spit out a set of parms to use as a 'flattening' EQ. It's a bit crazy if you use a fully parametric plugin. Mine ended up having a dozen or so overlapping bands with crazy Q factors etc...ultimately...I gave up out of frustration. Being aware of the general characteristics of the room and not overcompensating did help me.

My room has a nasty resonance around 110 Hz. My solution? Collect as much junk in here as possible to break up the modes. Works pretty well. :D

So my 30+ guitars and cases and V-Drum kit must be too much junk in the room because I have a huge hole around 70 Hz. I've never measured it but it has to be at least -20 dB. I've even tried changing my subwoofer and monitor speaker's cut off frequency thinking it may have been at 70 Hz but I raised it as high as it goes above 100 Hz and and as low as it goes but still have the issue. I'm wondering if it's some kind of filter built into the speakers to reduce 60 Hz hum.

This solution is precisely the 'last step' in the RoomEQWizzard paradigm. The program can spit out a set of parms to use as a 'flattening' EQ. It's a bit crazy if you use a fully parametric plugin. Mine ended up having a dozen or so overlapping bands with crazy Q factors etc...ultimately...I gave up out of frustration. Being aware of the general characteristics of the room and not overcompensating did help me.

I guess for me, as long as what I'm hearing sounds good, inspires my playing and doesn't affect the recorded tone, the means I use to get there is less important than the end result.

I guess for me, as long as what I'm hearing sounds good, inspires my playing and doesn't affect the recorded tone, the means I use to get there is less important than the end result.
This is probably the best solution. Track (along with a DI track) how the sound inspires your playing, then at mixdown you can reamp and mix it with some nice neutral headphones (e.g. DT-880 or HD600) to take your room out of the equation.

So I did some more precise measurements yesterday and rendered out a few room correction IRs.

I am wondering if there is a way to do room correction in the long term and if any of you guys use it?
In an ideal world I would have an IR between my audio interface and speakers to correct everything that passes through it.
I think that people often use rack mount EQs?
It's a new area for me so I'm just wondering how do I have an always on no fuss room correction thing going?

i found i have a slight resonance around 124Hz in my room. i'm not about to make any changes to it, because i'll be moving the studio to a different room in the house later this year. because i have an apollo interface, i can run a corrective eq plugin over the output pair going to the speakers. not ideal, but it's a no-cost solution i can use until i change rooms. sonarworks might be the way to go if you can't change anything about the room layout.

Hi,
Havent read the whole thread so maybe it's already been suggested - but that peak REALLY looks like a job for a Helmholtz Resonator.
really!

If you're a PHD http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/Helmholtz.html
Still smart; http://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/helmholtz-resonant-absorber
And stoopid like me; http://www.acoustic.ua/forms/calculator5.en.html

There's heaps on the net. In effect, you build a box, fill it with sound absorber, and put some holes in it to tune to the desired frequency - You could make a lovely narrow band resonator to get rid of your 123hz.

thanks
Pauly

Update...
I ended up buying a proper measurement microphone and tested everything again.
I just completed the first part of my room treatment. I just made 2 60x60x5 inch Bass traps to put behind the speakers. Made with Rockwool RWA45 100mm and some bed sheets.
I can definately hear the difference. Things seem tighter as the resonances have calmed down a lot in the very low end.
still some work to be done as the rest of the room remains untreated but I have 3 giant slabs of rock wool left to go nuts with :)
I also moved the speakers on to bricks which believe it or not gives me better results.

Before and after..
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 12.44.12.jpg

I purchase two packs of Rockwool RWA45 100mm slabs. Five I wrapped with material and fitted to baton wooden frames and hung like picture frames spaced 2" off the wall at monitor reflection points. The rest I cut into triangles and filled bass traps in each corner of the adjacent walls to the monitors. I also added a cloud to the ceiling and some foam traps to the back corner walls. It really does make a difference and they were so cheap to make. It took more time just finding where to source the materials from than to make the bass traps and sound diffusers.

So my 30+ guitars and cases and V-Drum kit must be too much junk in the room because I have a huge hole around 70 Hz. I've never measured it but it has to be at least -20 dB. I've even tried changing my subwoofer and monitor speaker's cut off frequency thinking it may have been at 70 Hz but I raised it as high as it goes above 100 Hz and and as low as it goes but still have the issue. I'm wondering if it's some kind of filter built into the speakers to reduce 60 Hz hum.

Have you tried setting your crossover high pass to -12db octave and flipping your sub out of phase?

At the end of the Cranesong Avocet manual, they have Bob Katz's subwoofer setup technique. I really found it useful.

http://www.cranesong.com/avocet_manual_rev7_2.pdf

Probably because they put the tweeter at the right height, which is supposed to be level with your ears when sitting.

They are at a near identical height to how they were on stands.
My first test with the homemade traps had the speaker about 1 inch forward to how they are now and that produced a very different response. It's crazy that just moving speakers 1 inch forward or back can make such a difference but i guess that science.

@rustyshed Everything you said there is exactly what I plan to do. I find my time is spent on trying to figure out how to actually construct the things and hang them. I'm thinking of suspending the ceiling panels from wire for example rather than using a bracket. If you have an suggestions that would be cool :)

They are at a near identical height to how they were on stands.
My first test with the homemade traps had the speaker about 1 inch forward to how they are now and that produced a very different response. It's crazy that just moving speakers 1 inch forward or back can make such a difference but i guess that science.
I thought you were talking about how they sounded to you, not how it changed the freq. response of the measurement.

I can definately hear the difference. Things seem tighter as the resonances have calmed down a lot in the very low end.
It really is amazing to hear the low end tightens up with room treatment isn't it?!! It's doesn't get louder or softer, but all the flub goes away, and suddenly you can HEAR the bass!

No offense but this shoddy foam garbage you've got up does nothing. Talk to GIK acoustics, something like this should help:
http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-tri-trap/

The corner trap specifically? Yeah.
Obviously it does something but nothing like a good rockwool trap would.
I'm already planning to do something with the left over rockwool I have.

I may in the future invest in a more professional solution but I just don't understand why it's so expensive.
Maybe there's a market for me to open up in :D

Back
Top Bottom