This Is Weird: I Had To Adjust My Trem Screws After A String Change

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
Never had this happen before, and I always use the same strings. The Majesty has a floating trem, and I have my guitar set up just like I like it, and I've never had to adjust the trem when changing strings. But this time (after stretching the strings) I probably had to back the screws out 2 full turns. Checked the neck and it still had the same amount of relief... Probably the 10th set of strings I've had on this guitar and this is the first time its happened.

The only thing that I suppose is possible, is since this guitar had a bad habit of breaking the high E string (since resolved), until I bought a bunch of single strings to replace the ones I had to steal from a new set, I have about 6 sets of opened strings, of which I just used. Do strings lose their tension after being opened for a couple months?

Not that I'm aware of. Do you have an accurate digital caliper to verify that you received the correct gauge string?
I have a Vernier caliper, so yeah, I can check that. (I hope I didn't just put a set of 9's on my guitar!)

May depend also on for how long you have been stocking these 6 packs of opened strings (not to be.confused with sixpack). Production methods changes over the years and just changing core material and the roundwound material of the wound strings in the factory may alter string tension. BTW Sure you're not downtuned ;-) ?

May depend also on for how long you have been stocking these 6 packs of opened strings (not to be.confused with sixpack). Production methods changes over the years and just changing core material and the roundwound material of the wound strings in the factory may alter string tension. BTW Sure you're not downtuned ;-) ?
I checked the tuning with the Axe, so, should be right. (Or at least the same as it was before I changed the strings, because that's what I always use to tune nowadays.)

Well after checking the string gauges, they're indeed 10's..., but, I think I know what happened.
Shortly after getting the guitar, I had a little trouble with pushing the low E off the neck when doing certain riffs. So because of that, and also wanting to use it for occasional drop-D tuning, I bought some sets of 10-52's. The low E I just put on is a 46, so that cannibalized set must have been one of the sets I had before I switched to the 10-52's.
Mystery solved thanks to Ruso.

At least buying those singles will allow me to get all these opened packs used up, because I hate having individual strings laying around. But I'll check the low E with the caliper next time. Plus, I actually wanted to go back to standard 10's on this guitar (got a bunch for Christmas), and use my other one for Drop-D (since I don't play it as often), so I inadvertently did what I (forgot I) wanted to do. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom