This is the result of rampant outsourcing

I'm losing it with all the Indian outsourcing. Every software product I try to use lately is a steaming pile of iguana dung. You call tech support and you get "Venkateera" who proceeds to talk down to you over a static-filled, high-latency, VOIP connection and when you point out the glaring deficiencies the response is "you shouldn't do that". I've used Orcad schematic capture for nearly 20 years. The latest version (all outsourced to India) is so bug-ridden that it's comical. I tried to point out to tech support that if you have more than several pages open then the program is so slow it's unusable and their response was "don't open so many pages". Uh, duh? Then they proceeded to have me hack at the registry as though that would make any difference (it didn't).

I've used Orcad schematic capture for nearly 20 years. The latest version (all outsourced to India) is so bug-ridden that it's comical.

Have you considered Altium or Eagle as an alternative? Found this thread talking about similar things you are experiencing Cliffanator:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ECE/comments/1ce8yb/alternatives_to_orcad/

Hope it gets better you schematic designing fiend! Go have a beer on me, if I'm ever in NH I'll buy ya one for the free updates ;)

I'm losing it with all the Indian outsourcing. Every software product I try to use lately is a steaming pile of iguana dung.
Same issues with internal outsourcing there... EVERY piece of code has to be reviewed and fixed onshore.. the costs of which are not included in the offshore labor/billing rates. No-one reports this up the chain, yet Execs expect onshore support to cut budgets by up to 15% annually!!.
It's all about maximizing shareholder value.. cutting expenses, boosting profits!!

I feel your pain .... more than I'd prefer.

Thanks
Pauly

I'm losing it with all the Indian outsourcing. Every software product I try to use lately is a steaming pile of iguana dung. You call tech support and you get "Venkateera" who proceeds to talk down to you over a static-filled, high-latency, VOIP connection and when you point out the glaring deficiencies the response is "you shouldn't do that". I've used Orcad schematic capture for nearly 20 years. The latest version (all outsourced to India) is so bug-ridden that it's comical. I tried to point out to tech support that if you have more than several pages open then the program is so slow it's unusable and their response was "don't open so many pages". Uh, duh? Then they proceeded to have me hack at the registry as though that would make any difference (it didn't).

Totally feel your pain - I used to work for a very large bank. We had an onsite IT guy - we'll cal him "Henry". In order to have a printer fixed /reset etc, we would have to go online and put in a ticket. Then speak to "Bob" in India regarding the issue, thats if you could understand "Bob". Then after the ticket was received, once "Henry" received the ticket info, he would walk 10 steps out of his office and come over and say " ummm , whats the problem dude?? ". I could have walked into "Henrys" office 2 days prior and say, - "hey - the printers stuck again". It would have been fixed in 5 minutes...... really crazy how companies work these days....

I couldn't agree more. I work for a software company and I am constantly shaking my head at the lack of quality and ridiculous design decisions made by people that our clients have outsourced. They either turn simple tasks into unrecognizable "spaghetti code" or they completely miss the point of what they are trying to do, resulting in unusable software.

Same issues with internal outsourcing there... EVERY piece of code has to be reviewed and fixed onshore.. the costs of which are not included in the offshore labor/billing rates. No-one reports this up the chain, yet Execs expect onshore support to cut budgets by up to 15% annually!!.
It's all about maximizing shareholder value.. cutting expenses, boosting profits!!

Oh, don't get me started. I'm a software developer and last year at this time I was on the project from hell involving heavily offshored development. No matter that the company's onsite IT group was in flagrant violation of US labor law, the total half-assedness I saw on a daily basis made me finally get the hell out of there for my own sanity. Needless to say, the product shipped 9 months late, full of bugs and with only half the planned features. Oh yeah, the software didn't work, either....as the Apple and Google store reviews tell.

This is a major US manufacturer, btw, not some fly-by-night basement operation.

I am now an X computer network engineer. I got burnt, too many times.
I feel your pain CC. I am now concentrating on being a guitarist, artist and homeless.... well almost on all counts. But I think I'm happier,,, till the AXFX3 comes out and I can't afford it lol.
BTW my Mark I powers up everytime and is still awesome!!!
Kudo's to you for still making my guitar word wonderfull.

Last edited:
Managing two out sourced teams of data miners, I feel your pain. My step by step manuals for the team are written at an 8th grade reading level, yet I still have people that are hired over there that are supposedly fully English fluent BE's that make glaring errors. Mind you, I find these errors in 5 minute long spot checks of the data sets that are supposedly 100% QC checked in India at three different points in the process.

The resume inflation and skills inflation along with the cheating on tests makes screening a real problem in India. I have supposed masters graduates in mechanical engineering that cannot correctly identify what a socket wrench is from a picture. As such, turnover is high as you are either cutting those who can't do the work or the people who can do the work get recruited out from under you, once you get a good reputation for not suffering with fools.

But corporate America with its short sidedness wants to expand outsourcing and bring that model of assembly line, no critical thinking education to US shores. It's a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
I'm running a (small) software development company and blanket refuse to use Indian/Pakistani developers. The cultural difference is just too big to what I'm used to dealing with. It's almost like that classic saying - if you think it's to expensive hiring a professional, wait until you've hired an amateur.

Back
Top Bottom