This is how close the Axe Fx II can get to a real EVH 5150III

Hi folks! Here's a test I recently did, I'm trying to get as close as possible to an EVH 5150III 100W head that has been recently used to reamp guitars for my band.
Guitar used is a Bernie Rico Jr Hesperian 8 string with a BKP Aftermath pickup.

Original chain consists of TS808 OD -> EVH 5150III Head -> Mesa Stiletto cab -> SM57/MD421/U47F mics -> Neve pres.

Axe Fx II chain is T808 -> 5153 Red -> Tonematch Block, consisting of all three mics captured in one signal.

Since Soundcloud is butchering the audio quality, here is the original Wav: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5864881/Tonematch.wav

You're hearing the same riff two times, which one is the real amp and which is the Axe Fx? :)

Not sure which is which, but I like the first one better; with good headphones I can hear a little more going on in the high-end. In a mix, or with crappier headphones, I doubt anyone could tell a difference. Also, I think the second could be tweaked by hand to match the extra treble and presence in the first.

Just for fun I'll say the real 5153 is first and the Axe is second.

Yeah Axe Fx first. the second one i can hear a a small difference still pretty impressive.
Can't wait to get mine

Last edited:
I think the first one was better sounding. Now.. assuming that it's the real amp, you could get closer by adding treble to your Axe-Fx amp block.

I like the first one better, it seems to have 'more' to it so I'm going to call that one the Axe track. :)

I'm going to guess that the second one is the real amp. I feel like I can hear it pushing some air, where the first one sounds more "direct." They're incredibly close, though, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if I was wrong.

After reading all those guesses and noticing ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE between both A and B that couldn't be related to differences in playing, I'm taking a wild guess saying the TO is trying to fool us and actually switches back and forth more than just once and laughing his ass off at us trying to guess which is which. ;)

First of all, both sound awesome.

But I think the AxeFX II is the first half, and the Original rig is the second half.

After reading all those guesses and noticing ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE between both A and B that couldn't be related to differences in playing, I'm taking a wild guess saying the TO is trying to fool us and actually switches back and forth more than just once and laughing his ass off at us trying to guess which is which. ;)

Nah dude it's just as described really. I do hear differences but I made it so my opinion doesn't count there :) Any other guesses?

If guessed one or the other it would just be just that - a guess. Really so little in it.

Just another bit of evidence, as if we needed any, that Axe-FX cuts the mustard against tube amp setups.

First sounds better to me as well. Not by much but it seems to have a little more bite to it. I have no idea which is which though since I've never played a real 5150III.

Back
Top Bottom