This is a very expensive hobby lol

Here is a clip from last year......no axefx ( I used my pedalboard with the AMT Pangaea CP100 convolution player for the IRs), my selfmade table which costs me not very much and the little Reveal 402 tannoy speakers (still got them, love them). I'm not a pro - just a medicore bedroom player......

many of those so called “mediocre bedroom players” are much musical/creative in their playing than the ones called “pro”….including yourself imho.

Does someone have that old list of what it would cost if you bought all of the gear the Axe FX has in it? It might be a huge eye opener for the OP.
I don't, but a current update would include the Klon Centaur drive, which pays for an Axe FX III Turbo all on it's own I guess. Start throwing in some Trainwreck and Dumble amp models, and a few of the more rare and collectable Fender, Marshall and Vox classic era amp models, and you're getting to the value of small house.

It can be an expensive hobby, but moving to the Axe FX III paid for itself pretty much immediately for me. In the long run, keeping a lot of my vintage amps and effects would have been a better financial investment, but physical storage space can be an issue.

Liam

I don't, but a current update would include the Klon Centaur drive, which pays for an Axe FX III Turbo all on it's own I guess. Start throwing in some Trainwreck and Dumble amp models, and a few of the more rare and collectable Fender, Marshall and Vox classic era amp models, and you're getting to the value of small house.

It can be an expensive hobby, but moving to the Axe FX III paid for itself pretty much immediately for me. In the long run, keeping a lot of my vintage amps and effects would have been a better financial investment, but physical storage space can be an issue.

Liam
I can't remember how long ago it was but the amount was well over 250K, a new list would be interesting to see!

If I only play in my room, it begs the question, why spend so much money for all of this?

Sure it makes you feel happier and enjoy life more, it may be worth it, in the end that's all that matters
Some people have a classic car. I have my desk. It’s what makes me happy.
Spent around 11k last month. FYI your numbers are WAY off 😂 this hobby never ends.
If I were you and a home user I’d spring for the Rackmount III. It just has better features for home use. I own the III, the FM9 and the FM3 and they all serve different purposes.

Is this a troll post? OP doesn’t want to hear valid responses just brag about his savings and extravagant needs.
It’s not about the axefx III at all!
Actually didn’t see that as a brag. I was more in the line of thinking if that’s what I had to my name, I’d be at work a lot more. 22k in savings =/= 22k in disposable income! I guess everyone handles and looks at finance different, but if my net worth were under 6 figures, I wouldn’t be spending 2k+ on an amp modeler. I’d be busting my ass to get my net worth up so I can breathe a little. 10s of thousands of dollars can get sucked away in the blink of an eye in this world. Hell, a good shot of cancer can bring most savings to an end, but there is reasonable preparedness in my view. i dont really like bankers and see no need to finance their lifestyles and credit and I do NOT get along. I dont like one sided relationships.

If I only play in my room, it begs the question, why spend so much money for all of this?
The gear I regularly play in my room cost me about $5500. That's just an Axe Fx III, the Majesty in my profile pic, and a pair of ATH-M50x headphones. The sheer joy that I have gotten from the countless hours I have sat and played guitar, all the while improving my abilities to a level I would've never thought possible a few years ago, is totally worth it. Just that right there would be enough, but I'm getting to a point where I want to start thinking about joining a band. So there is another reason for spending this kind of money.

But even if I don't do that, I really enjoy just being able to dial up any number of killer-sounding presets, and play. Prior to getting this gear I had several other guitars and a few amps, but none of them inspired me to play like what I have now, so for me, THAT'S the reason: The inspiration to wanna play my guitar and improve my abilities. I had no idea it would be this much fun!

Perhaps you're asking about the cost because your heart isn't really in it...? If so, I can't think of anything better to energize your passion than buying a Fractal of whatever flavor, and a killer guitar that you bond with. Worked amazingly well for me.

The gear I regularly play in my room cost me about $5500. That's just an Axe Fx III, the Majesty in my profile pic, and a pair of ATH-M50x headphones. The sheer joy that I have gotten from the countless hours I have sat and played guitar, all the while improving my abilities to a level I would've never thought possible a few years ago, is totally worth it. Just that right there would be enough, but I'm getting to a point where I want to start thinking about joining a band. So there is another reason for spending this kind of money.

But even if I don't do that, I really enjoy just being able to dial up any number of killer-sounding presets, and play. Prior to getting this gear I had several other guitars and a few amps, but none of them inspired me to play like what I have now, so for me, THAT'S the reason: The inspiration to wanna play my guitar and improve my abilities. I had no idea it would be this much fun!

Perhaps you're asking about the cost because your heart isn't really in it...? If so, I can't think of anything better to energize your passion than buying a Fractal of whatever flavor, and a killer guitar that you bond with. Worked amazingly well for me.
Plus joining a band can result in a net gain down the line. I just wrapped up the see NJ in a day tour. 3 gigs yesterday starting in sea isle city down south, then Bar A in the middle of the state then Lake Hopatcong up northwest. Drove maybe 350+ miles and was out close to 24 hours. Played over 7 hours of music. Made a nice chunk of change. No, probably not enough money to kill yourself over but I funded my FM3 in a DAY playing guitar. Join the band, make money!

Plus joining a band can result in a net gain down the line. I just wrapped up the see NJ in a day tour. 3 gigs yesterday starting in sea isle city down south, then Bar A in the middle of the state then Lake Hopatcong up northwest. Drove maybe 350+ miles and was out close to 24 hours. Played over 7 hours of music. Made a nice chunk of change. No, probably not enough money to kill yourself over but I funded my FM3 in a DAY playing guitar. Join the band, make money!
That's kinda how I'm thinking about it. Just wanna get my chops to a level where I can attract (or fit in with) quality people, because if I do the band thing, I don't wanna just do it for fun. I can have fun with music just jamming with a few friends in the man cave.

That's kinda how I'm thinking about it. Just wanna get my chops to a level where I can attract (or fit in with) quality people, because if I do the band thing, I don't wanna just do it for fun. I can have fun with music just jamming with a few friends in the man cave.
Dude I’m the worlds okest guitar player and am booked more than I’d like to be. It’s not about being the best that will get you paid.

Are you on time?
Sober?
All your gear work?
Are you reliable?
Do you have a good attitude?
Are you willing to work?

If you answered YES, you have beaten out 90% of the guys who play better.
The other 10% are either on tour or in busy wedding bands you’ll never see.

To add to @Bruce Sokolovic's answer, which is spot-on, make sure you get things in the right order. You need to learn to play in a band ahead of getting your guitar chops to a level you are happy with. If you can manage some disciplined rehearsals, where almost everyone has learnt their parts well enough to get through a few songs, you are on the right track.

No-one will care in the slightest that riffs are not perfect, or guitar solos note-for-note. They will care a lot if you can't drop into a groove, play in time, or make sure your instrument volume fits in with everyone else. You won't get any of that right first time, but until you have tried for the first time, you will not be on the learning curve.

I was blessed that older and more experienced musicians took me under their wings through my teens and twenties. They helped me to figure out that being an OK player most of the time, and a good band-mate off-stage, is most of the job. Being able to step out out into the limelight for the odd 12-16 bars that stand out, and without screwing up, can be a real bonus. Icing on the cake is being able to carry a disproportionate chunk of the band's personality, which generally falls in the main to the singer/frontman.

Most of all that comes under Bruce's "Willing to work" point, and for me that's true of so many things in life. Get out and do it as soon as you can, and let others judge if your chops are up to the job. If they are not, you'll soon get to work on improving the right bits of them!

Liam

Does someone have that old list of what it would cost if you bought all of the gear the Axe FX has in it? It might be a huge eye opener for the OP.

It ain't that small of a house, even today.

The Trainwrekcs are 50k+ each, Dumbles (yes, some of the models are modes, but there's at least Robbin Ford's and an HRM) are 120k+ each, probably a lot more for RF's. A normal Tweed Twin is 20k+, but Keith Urban's personal one is worth more. The rest of the vintage Tweed Fenders are 10k+ each (deluxe, bassman, vibro-champ, concert, super, champ, princeton, etc.). The vintage JTM45 is close to that. The CAE 3+ is a few grand. The Carol-Anns are 3-6k. A lot of the modern boutiques are $2,500-5,000, and there's like 20 of them. The Matchless amps are 3-10k depending on exactly what was modeled. New Soldanos are 3-4k....vintage ones would be more.

You're getting to around a million worth of just the amps that I bothered to look at. Let's put it this way...it wasn't worth the time to look up Boogie and Two Rock prices.

How much would it cost to add a spring reverb to a tweed or super lead?
How much does just the tech work cost to put together a Bradshaw-style rack?
Anyone have any idea how many cabs and mics are represented in the factory IRs?
Or some of the vintage effects?

I get that the fractal stuff is expensive compared to most of the other modelers, but....if you're using modeling at all, you're saving a LOT of money. The Fractals are worth more than most of the others due to some of the details. Heck, they're not that expensive compared to just the good reactive load boxes, and they give a lot more control over the amp load than any of them. A significant amount of the guitar world should think they're a deal just compared to that.

It ain't that small of a house, even today.

The Trainwrekcs are 50k+ each, Dumbles (yes, some of the models are modes, but there's at least Robbin Ford's and an HRM) are 120k+ each, probably a lot more for RF's. A normal Tweed Twin is 20k+, but Keith Urban's personal one is worth more. The rest of the vintage Tweed Fenders are 10k+ each (deluxe, bassman, vibro-champ, concert, super, champ, princeton, etc.). The vintage JTM45 is close to that. The CAE 3+ is a few grand. The Carol-Anns are 3-6k. A lot of the modern boutiques are $2,500-5,000, and there's like 20 of them. The Matchless amps are 3-10k depending on exactly what was modeled. New Soldanos are 3-4k....vintage ones would be more.

You're getting to around a million worth of just the amps that I bothered to look at. Let's put it this way...it wasn't worth the time to look up Boogie and Two Rock prices.

How much would it cost to add a spring reverb to a tweed or super lead?
How much does just the tech work cost to put together a Bradshaw-style rack?
Anyone have any idea how many cabs and mics are represented in the factory IRs?
Or some of the vintage effects?

I get that the fractal stuff is expensive compared to most of the other modelers, but....if you're using modeling at all, you're saving a LOT of money. The Fractals are worth more than most of the others due to some of the details. Heck, they're not that expensive compared to just the good reactive load boxes, and they give a lot more control over the amp load than any of them. A significant amount of the guitar world should think they're a deal just compared to that.
That list I was referring to was done almost 14-15 years ago if I remember correctly! The amount of different amps and cab IR's, effects has grown considerably in the time sense then not to mention the quality of the sounds has also noticeably changed sense the Axe FX Standard days.

To the OP's topic, with confidence I think we all agree it is a huge value when faced with the prospect of having to buy just one basic analog rig that can be represented in the Axe FX/FM devices and none of that even takes into consideration all of the switching and routing option possibilities that are offered in the FAS offerings.

With respect to other models I still think FAS is the top of the list when it comes to sound, options, support and value so in this case you really do get what you pay for!

Hobbies are expensive! My family and I used to do the Glamis thing... a lot! Talk about expensive... try a 32' Endura Super C Motorhome 20' inclosed trailer, Extreme Performance Sand Car and three quads! We made that run roughly every 3 weeks or so in winter to the tune of about $600 bucks a pop, totally out of control! Just like every hobbie you have to control it and not let it control you!

It’s not like complaining about the price is going to change it, so why do people keep doing it?

There are single-trick toys out there that cost far more. Personally I think it’s worth easily 3x what we pay for it, and if it was $10k and aimed only at pros, I’d understand. The fact that it is so reasonably priced is because Cliff is just a stand-up guy, and it’s not being sold by a greedy corporation. Count the blessings that it’s available at all in the price range it is.

If you can’t afford it, that’s real too. There are other options, some of the plugins aren’t bad. Line 6 from what I’ve heard played live sounded great, too. Not as accurate as the fractal, and I could tell it was digital, but I absolutely guarantee that the crowd didn’t know or care, because he was a great guitarist! Frankly I didn’t care either, I went to hear music, not measure silicon dicks.

Dude I’m the worlds okest guitar player and am booked more than I’d like to be. It’s not about being the best that will get you paid.

Are you on time?
Sober?
All your gear work?
Are you reliable?
Do you have a good attitude?
Are you willing to work?

If you answered YES, you have beaten out 90% of the guys who play better.
The other 10% are either on tour or in busy wedding bands you’ll never see.
Yep hear hear. I came back to playing after about 7 years off due to RSI and being a school teacher, which sucked away my time, and also my will to live. Gonna say, I was shiiiiiit (still am compared to some of the noodling I hear on the forum.) Sloppy as hell and scared of solos. A good mate I played with years ago dragged me along to sit in on some his solo gigs, and basically rehabbed me back into music. He and I grew up playing in an old-timey gospel band at church, and it really helped both of us with feel and listening where to fit in. Now we’re one of the most booked duos in our little town. It wasn’t about having great chops because I’d basically forgotten how to play. It was about the energy, being able to listen to each other and pick up the little queues, and making room for each other rather than jostling for the spotlight. And the Axe came much later as a bonus.

So yeah, I say 90% of a musician’s skill is in their ears, and knowing when to shut up. The other 10% is being just drunk enough to not notice your mistakes.

What I REALLY want to know from the OP…..

If Cliff from Fractal were to name the AxeFX after his wife, would it be in bad taste to do so? :tearsofjoy:

I feel flexed on every single time I see you by that stupid, beautiful profile picture of yours. One of the few "I have to have it" guitars based on pictures alone.

But that aside, headphone crew represent! ✊

Back
Top Bottom