This is a very expensive hobby lol

maybe one day when I have less debt and more savings, tho I could buy it now I have like 22k in the bank, but I'm cheap I don't like spending much maybe cause I used to be broke many years ago, so I'm very careful with my expenses

$2300 for this modeler is a lot, maybe if I had 100k itd be nothing lol

I'll start little by little, maybe a new desk and monitors
Spend your money on things that give you Joy! If a desk and monitors do that, go for it.

Personally, I'd say those things to improve the ergnomics of playing do matter, but they're kind of weak sauce in the Joy department, especially relative to a Fractal toy.

If you have a place to put one of those toys, and a way to hear it, get the Fractal. Desk and monitors later.

/$0.000002.

I'd say buy a Fractal modeler. It's worth it. Great tones, for any genre.. day or night. Plus, all the development fun!

Why would you goto a forum asking questions about a bunch of stuff when you can't justify buying it regardless of the answers?

I mean cool you have some answers but its all a bit of a moot point. No rush to get a fractal product, they'll be around for a long long while. When you're ready to take the plunge you'll be a happy camper!

but I don't like the compact size, it will look awful on a desk, then how do you protect it? How do you plug it into a power conditioner? It just doesn't look right. I would love to have the AXE FX2 or FX3, so it can sit nicely on top of a power conditioner in one of those rack cubes.
[…]
The FM3 despite being affordable, the look of it and how it would look and function on a desk setup just doesn't sit with me. Where would you place the thing? Is lightweight, and it could tip over. It just doesn't look right.
based on the FM3 rigs Ive seen I don't like how it looks on desk but that's just me, also how do you protect it?
is more about where to place it on the desk. I have yet to find a person who has it on the desk and it doesn't look a mess

So, you are only concerned with the aesthetics of how it looks and how to protect it, not how it sounds or what you can do with it?

Interesting.

Last edited:
If I only play in my room, it begs the question, why spend so much money for all of this?

Sure it makes you feel happier and enjoy life more, it may be worth it, in the end that's all that matters
Precisely where the AFX3 excels — tube breakup w/o the volume, and it sounds spectacular in my IEMs.

Reactions: J.C
paul walker ferrari GIF

I'd wager a bet and say that most of us have taken years to accumulate high quality gear & there's been many a time when I've bought stuff I couldn't really afford. Sometimes one just has to take the plunge. I personally have always wanted to grow into gear rather than grow out of it & have to sell it. Whilst more expensive to begin with I believe it saves money in the long run.

In the meantime use what you already have & start saving.
If the current trend continues though, everything is only going to get more expensive as time goes by.

I'd wager a bet and say that most of us have taken years to accumulate high quality gear & there's been many a time when I've bought stuff I couldn't really afford. Sometimes one just has to take the plunge. I personally have always wanted to grow into gear rather than grow out of it & have to sell it. Whilst more expensive to begin with I believe it saves money in the long run.

In the meantime use what you already have & start saving.
If the current trend continues though, everything is only going to get more expensive as time goes by.
Sold my Amp and 2x12 to justify the Axe2 on launch... my next purchase was a FM3, thats a good run!

If I only play in my room, it begs the question, why spend so much money for all of this?
How particular are you about your tone? If you want something that makes amp sounds and don't really care how it sounds, there are much less expensive options. If you want something that can sound like any recording you hear and want to learn or play along with; if you are particular about your tone and want something that inspires you, makes you grin when you play and get lost in moment after moment, then that's the reason to spend so much money on it.

First of all. I need a new desk, as my current one is old and only 47" wide. I need a 60" desk, ideally made of solid wood, easily $500-800

Then, it comes the modeler that I will need. The FM3 is cheaper $1100, but I don't like the compact size, it will look awful on a desk, then how do you protect it? How do you plug it into a power conditioner? It just doesn't look right. I would love to have the AXE FX2 or FX3, so it can sit nicely on top of a power conditioner in one of those rack cubes.

The FM3 despite being affordable, the look of it and how it would look and function on a desk setup just doesn't sit with me. Where would you place the thing? Is lightweight, and it could tip over. It just doesn't look right.
You can get a desk much cheaper than that. Buy used or look up what IKEA stuff is made of sturdier stuff. I expect used solid wood desks are like 4x12 cabs, nobody wants to move them due to their weight so they are cheap.

FM3 is perfect for the desk because it takes up so much less room than the Axe-Fx 3. Only way it could be better for that is if it had no footswitches at all. There is also absolutely no way to tip it over. It's heavy enough that where you put it is where it stays.

You are just way overthinking this. Many power conditioners are nothing more than fancy powerstrips and personally I have never found a need for one considering at least in my country electricity is relatively stable.

Back
Top Bottom