This comment made me laugh about fractal vs kemper

kwikc4

I told the manager I know at my local guitar center in Chicago area that I got my fractal ax8 and instead of saying that's nice, he said Kemper is light years ahead of fractal and that he tried it next to a kemper that a friend has. I did not argue with him. He is a rude ignorant moron wanna be. I own both a Fractal and a Kemper, he doesn't.. Hes been saving for a kemper for the past 2 years. Pretty sad that it takes the top manager at guitar center to save $2000 in 2 years, lmfao.... They are both great units and pros and cons to both. But no way in hell is kemper light years ahead of fractal.

I also have an AX8 & Kemper as well as my main Axefx II rig, Despite buying paid profiles and trying to tweek the Kemper i could never get a tone i liked out of it. Im actually in the process of trading it for a Helix to try that out. I won't bash the Kemper because I've heard people play it and its sounded killer, in the end it was just not for me. I prefer my Fractal units and what i get out of them.

At this point, unless I know the person working at GC on a friend basis outside of their workplace, I take everything they say in there with a grain of salt. I worked at a big box for a short period of time until i was told
"go scan everything and see what gives the highest commission, aim for that"
"we only push these cables, because we make more on them"
"if you cant sell a guitar without the case candy, you cant sell a guitar"
"most of the time, we dont even bother with changing strings or a setup, so that we can sell them a service plan before they walk out of the door"
and more...

id also add, cant GC actually sell a kemper?

Similar comment from the sound guy at my last gig... First, I was surprised to see him come to my Axe-fx with the required pair of XLR cables and go stright behind it to plug it in. When I asked, he said he'd seen the Axe-fx before and knew all about it. He then proceeded to say that it's now been greatly surpassed and that the Axe-fx was now a straggler, left behind in the dust by competing products. When I asked him the name of that wonderful piece of gear, he said: Kemper. Oh, ok, end of conversation. I'm not going to try to talk him out of this blind assessment. I'm sure Kemper is good or perhaps even great, but Fractal is certainly not been "vastly surpassed".

I think people actually stray simply because Fractal deals direct. People think that if no stores are carrying it, then it must not be as good. I've seen so many old school people try a kemper, pick up the helix and yet have never owned or tried a fractal. You just can't argue with people, just say ok thats cool. I disagree but thats fine.

They both have their pluses and minuses.

IMO if you buy professional presets, e.g. from @fremen or @Moke, then you can have plug and play results with the Fractal similar to the plug and play results with the Kemper, e.g. the Michael Britt profiles.

It takes some knowledge of amps and efx with both units to find inspiring tones.

Kemper is just easier for noobs...
If by "noobs" you mean, "guitarists very accustomed to the tube amps they've been playing for 20+ years, who aren't immediately at home in the sea of endless tweakability in the FAS units, and whose livelihood depends on playing gigs, not being tethered to a computer editing patches", then yes it's easier for noobs.

The Kemper is remarkably good at what it does: profiling. I'd say it's easier than the AxeFX or AX8 in terms of getting an amazing raw tone. But in pretty much every other way, the FAS units are clearly superior.

I'm only a week or two into the AX8, and haven't been able to rival the tones from my Kemper yet, but I'm getting there.

If by "noobs" you mean, "guitarists very accustomed to the tube amps they've been playing for 20+ years, who aren't immediately at home in the sea of endless tweakability in the FAS units, and whose livelihood depends on playing gigs, not being tethered to a computer editing patches", then yes it's easier for noobs.
Yes, computer noobs, electronics equipment noobs...

Well, I´ve read a thread in a spanish forum that the BIAS Fx is far better than the Axe Fx II. Just becouse.o_O

And if you try to argue them , they simply say "you're jealous", or they tell you that if you don´t like it don´t enter in the thread.:rolleyes::D

To each his own.:)

Back
Top Bottom