This AX8 thing works...

iaresee

Administrator
...GREAT in the blazing sun! 20º C in San Francisco today, not a cloud in the sky, and an outdoor gig for the grand opening of a new street fair corral in Mission Bay meant my AX8 got 5 long hours baking in the sun while we setup and played and it performed without so much as a hiccup. I did manage to plug in my expression pedal in to the wrong port (second time I've done that at a gig) so had no wah for the first set as I couldn't be bothered to reset it mid-set.

The display was easy to see in the sun even with polarized sunglasses on. The LEDs, with the polarized glasses, were not -- but that's an inherent problem with super-coherent light sources and polarized lenses. To be expected.

The "stage" was a little tight but the spot is super cool:

Very good to hear that the AX8 does well in broad daylight. I'll have a gig later this summer out on our patio at work with direct west sun against glass curtain wall building so it will be quite bright!

Looks like you've got a very clean rig - EV-1 AX8 and maybe is that an RCF monitor in the second pic? I have the NX 10-SMA powered wedge. Haven't tried it yet with the Ax as I'm typically using in-ears.

Looks like you've got a very clean rig - EV-1 AX8 and maybe is that an RCF monitor in the second pic? I have the NX 10-SMA powered wedge. Haven't tried it yet with the Ax as I'm typically using in-ears.
EV ELX-112P is what I'm monitoring through. Poor man's FRFR. ;)

Last edited:
What a bitchin' post. Someone's happy!
Happy-sad. My Fractal gear is amazing. My band...is done. :( This was our for-reals last gig. Our singer is moving to New Orleans next week. Friday night was our big blow-out last gig, we packed a bar with 200+ people for that one, but we managed to snag a last-minute show today and couldn't say no to playing one more time as a group. Best damn band I've ever been in. Just a bunch of friends who love to make music.

Well that stinks. Any chance of keeping the band together with a different singer?
The core four (drums, bass, keys and myself on guitar) will keep on keepin' on, but we kind of adapt to whatever singer is leading us and Jackson...man, he was our perfect leader. We're taking July off and we'll re-group in August and see what's up. Finding singers is hard, finding singers we like and get along with is even harder.

...GREAT in the blazing sun! 20º C in San Francisco today, not a cloud in the sky, and an outdoor gig for the grand opening of a new street fair corral in Mission Bay meant my AX8 got 5 long hours baking in the sun while we setup and played and it performed without so much as a hiccup. I did manage to plug in my expression pedal in to the wrong port (second time I've done that at a gig) so had no wah for the first set as I couldn't be bothered to reset it mid-set.

The display was easy to see in the sun even with polarized sunglasses on. The LEDs, with the polarized glasses, were not -- but that's an inherent problem with super-coherent light sources and polarized lenses. To be expected.

The "stage" was a little tight but the spot is super cool:

I've had a similar mix-up with plugging in my expression pedal. So, I started color-coding my expression pedal cables with a little bit (i.e. one wrap) of colored electrical tape at the end of the cable, and a corresponding piece of same color tape above the respective AX8 jack. Now I just match up the colors (don't even need my glasses!)

Great post but..............20 degrees C is what? 68F That's not hot. Black absorbs heat in the sun. Last week it was 105F where I live in San Diego County. I don't have AC. My AX-8 performed flawlessly! LOL

Great post but..............20 degrees C is what? 68F That's not hot. Black absorbs heat in the sun. Last week it was 105F where I live in San Diego County. I don't have AC. My AX-8 performed flawlessly! LOL
It's hot for a painted-black metal box. The surface would have been much much hotter.

We don't get to 100+ very often in SV thankfully. I was in the Mojave yesterday and it was 110. Even the wind was too damn hot. Nope nope nope.

Carlsbad today and it's perfect here.

Back
Top Bottom