Third-Party MIDI Spec

I'm really not sure about the Looper interface. Even on the ill fated 1.16beta1 (which i know has problems) but which fixes the button/midi status return codes reported earlier. It is still true that if an external midi device sends a "push the record button" then the response does NOT say the record button has been pressed, even though it appears on the unit as active. I think i've raised this elsewhere, but it would be "nicer" if the return codes had some positive meaning... e.g. record pending, which later changes to "recording" if the threshold is reached (for example). The act of having to poll this is also rather annoying, but can be lived with. It would be nicer if this was an additional area where the AFX3 pushed this data... depending on global setting and ONLY when the looper was active.

It’s probably that I don’t understand the implementation in the axefx3 as to why this part of the interface is this way.

Last edited:
I really, really, really wish the capability to send sysex commands for block parameters would be ported over to the III. Being able to tell the gain knob to go to a certain spot was much more useful than being limited to controllers which override the front panel controls and affect any channel on the block.

I really, really, really wish the capability to send sysex commands for block parameters would be ported over to the III. Being able to tell the gain knob to go to a certain spot was much more useful than being limited to controllers which override the front panel controls and affect any channel on the block.
Well the ability is there, it's just not documented

Well the ability is there, it's just not documented

I'm assuming that there is some important reason why this is the case- maybe Fractal is going to make a knob controller. I wish I could figure out a workaround. If there were some way to make the knobs move to the location the continuous controller commanded and then disconnect- that would work.

Very cool, I have made several very involved control mappings for the Kemper using the Livid Instruments Guitar Wing, and the Numark Orbit, where the LED's actually reflect the on/off states of the effects. As a new Axefx III owner I am very happy to see this documentation!

Last edited:
It would be obscenely awesome if you could plug a fader fox into an Axe Fx 3 via USB and map everything you want with an internal midi learn control...

Edit: it would be obscenely awesome if I knew how to SysEx this thing directly to a fractal rig

MX12%20side%20large%20black-large.jpg

Last edited:
Could we have an up to date version of the Block Enumeration? I think IR_PLAY is missing (because it came after the latest doc)
Thx

It would be obscenely awesome if you could plug a fader fox into an Axe Fx 3 via USB and map everything you want with an internal midi learn control...

Edit: it would be obscenely awesome if I knew how to SysEx this thing directly to a fractal rig

MX12%20side%20large%20black-large.jpg

Looking at the manual, it does not support configuring pots, faders, or switches to send sysex commands. The only sysex support it has to save and restore it's own patches. Also, it doesn't read the current values of anything or have motorized faders so it'd be a pretty poor tool for tweaking settings.

@hippietim u r correct, i looked at the Faderfox support later on and saw he hasn't implemented it yet. I'm hoping best case I can run it through a DAW and then send the CCs out from the DAW over USB to the AFX3. I had in mind to have faders on the amp controls to super quick, zero them out and link them up, then be able to with one hand dial in gain/treble/mid/presence in like .5 seconds, and be able to sweep the knobs that fast to run through different combos of gain sturcture on say a Triaxis model, then have another 5 faders on the 5 band EQ, one for reverb, one for delay time/feedback, etc. it would be so fast to set up sounds that way. i'm an impatient child.

@hippietim u r correct, i looked at the Faderfox support later on and saw he hasn't implemented it yet. I'm hoping best case I can run it through a DAW and then send the CCs out from the DAW over USB to the AFX3. I had in mind to have faders on the amp controls to super quick, zero them out and link them up, then be able to with one hand dial in gain/treble/mid/presence in like .5 seconds, and be able to sweep the knobs that fast to run through different combos of gain sturcture on say a Triaxis model, then have another 5 faders on the 5 band EQ, one for reverb, one for delay time/feedback, etc. it would be so fast to set up sounds that way. i'm an impatient child.

If you're at the computer already, use AxeEdit.

SET/GET LOOPER STATE (COMMAND 0FH)
Set and or gets the Looper states.
Message format:
F0 00 01 74 10 0F dd cs F7.
where dd is the desired “button” to press:
0: Record
1: Play
2: Undo
3: Once
4: Reverse
5: Half-speed

How do I stop the darned thingie?

Press Play again.

Well that’s a problem.

I’m using automation which goes bonkers with the III. If I need to record and then immediately play back the recorded piece then depending on the “second Record press” setting it doesn’t stop recording and start playing but rather goes to Overdub or stops altogether. And the Playback toggle gets confused when I restart the track.

Back
Top Bottom