Third gig with the AX8. Awesome!

Larry Mitchell

Power User
i got my AX8 Saturday morning. Excitement!!! Spent a few hours getting to know it and then made 2. Presets and went straight to Room 5 in LA and played a sideman gig with singer Randi Driscoll. It worked great and sounded like my normal rig. Only the percussionist did a double take when he realized I didn't have my normal anoint of gear with me.

Sunday I had time to work on some more presets. This time with the help of the AX8 Edit program. Hmm very helpful indeed. I ended up with 11 presets. My unit came with zero presets. They are working on them now.

Monday night my friend Denise Kaufman (Ace of Cups band) asked me if I would like to come play her Yon (yoga -stretch class) I brought the AX8 and it was easy to move my rig!! Great to walk in with the ax8 and my nylon string guitar. It sounded great! Lots of " wow, what is that!

Tuesday night I performed at the Temecula music awards I came prepared to play Two songs, one as a side man and one doing my stuff. I brought my Ax8 and I had my axe fx with me just in case. Good thing too as they asked me to do another some and it was one I did not have programmed in the AX8 so both axe fx XL and AX8 got used . Then we all headed to the after party and I brought just my AX8 very easy to set up quickly way easy to carry around. (Normally when I'm on the road, when I go to a jam party after the show I usually leave the axe fx in my hotel room and just use pedals since its last minute hookups for the sound guys. But tonight was all AX8. And it rocked! Just left it on one patch and turned on and off different effects with the 8 IA switches. It was a great night of fun and music and the AX8 rocked.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 233
Hey Larry!

Thanks for sharing all of this information w/ us as it really says a lot here about the AX8.

What you say makes a lot of sense & it sounds like the AX8 is a perfect mini-rig when you can't bring "Big Papa" (aka Axe-Fx II) w/ you?

I've followed your Fractal use & videos for years now & appreciate your constant praise & communication about their products. I've met you at Winter NAMM a few times & your a great ambassador to this company.

Is there any chance of some "Larry Mitchell" presets getting into the AX8 for all of us to jam on too? That would be way cool! :cool:

Thanks again & congrats!

Peace! X-Mann

Awesome to hear!!!!!!

Larry, what nylon guitar do you use? What are your settings? Nylon string guitars tend to sound "ugly" with a pick up and the ones with onboard mics tend to give headaches with monitoring and feedback. I play nylon as well and I'm intrigued by what you said.

Thank you!

Omar

That is great to hear Larry. That is what I'm looking forward to the most. I get asked to play at jams all the time and I always decline, because even though I have got it down pretty fast setting up my axe and mfc, I don't want to be that guy that imposes on everyone else them waiting on me to be set. See most of those guys don't care about what comes out of their amp, as long as they get sound they are happy. But folks like yourself get it, tone is important. Cliff and Fractal folks get it. Forumites get it. Being able to bring my guitar, axe8 and an expression pedal to a jam, I will be setup in less than a minute. I am a church musician as well, I get asked all the time to play a sister church on a saturday night, but again I decline, because my AXE-fx is sitting at my main church, this will solve those problems as well.

I think the end goal as a musician is to play. Play all the time. Have all the required tools, so you always say yes.

Rock on Larry!!!

Your tone and versatility is the reason I switched to an AXE II years ago, and am anxiously awaiting an AX8 once the units roll out. I still base most of my presets off of one of yours :)

I always love your tone. I'm super excited to know I may be able to get something similar. A video would be awesome. The natives are getting restless.

That is great to hear Larry. That is what I'm looking forward to the most. I get asked to play at jams all the time and I always decline, because even though I have got it down pretty fast setting up my axe and mfc, I don't want to be that guy that imposes on everyone else them waiting on me to be set. See most of those guys don't care about what comes out of their amp, as long as they get sound they are happy. But folks like yourself get it, tone is important. Cliff and Fractal folks get it. Forumites get it. Being able to bring my guitar, axe8 and an expression pedal to a jam, I will be setup in less than a minute. I am a church musician as well, I get asked all the time to play a sister church on a saturday night, but again I decline, because my AXE-fx is sitting at my main church, this will solve those problems as well.

I think the end goal as a musician is to play. Play all the time. Have all the required tools, so you always say yes.

Rock on Larry!!!

I know what you mean, Scott.
In my band, the bassist plays one sound for the gig, the singer plays an acoustic (one sound) and the drummer plays without changing sounds.
It's up to me to bring the variety in tones.
Not that I'm complaining, but I know what you mean about imposing on others while I get my rig setup.

Can't wait for my AX8!

Ok travel day. First step. AX8 goes through security with ease. ;0)

Maybe I'll have time to make a patch in the Las Vegas airport waiting for my connecting flight. ;0)
That's awesome! How does it feel to be carrying less stuff? Do you feel like you're forgetting something. A little panic where's my Axe-fx.

Its kind of like when I forget my phone. I start to panic, and then realize it's in my other pocket.

For any who were asking why an Axe Fx owner would even consider buying the AX8, this is a much better explanation in practical application of the concept. Explains in one post exactly why many of us who own the Axe Fx also intend to own and use the AX8.

Thanks Larry, couldn't have said it better!

For any who were asking why an Axe Fx owner would even consider buying the AX8, this is a much better explanation in practical application of the concept. Explains in one post exactly why many of us who own the Axe Fx also intend to own and use the AX8.

Thanks Larry, couldn't have said it better!
Hi Rick. I have dreamed of traveling like this and still having my sounds!!!

Back
Top Bottom