Thinking of upgrading FM3

rsvette12

Power User
Wondering if anyone has upgraded from the FM3 to an FX-III - is there overwhelming reasons to do so ? just wondering thanks much

I did. But keeping both — nice to have a portable unit esp when the new firmware, ultrares cabs and new drives arrive. But I definitely like tonematch and the freedom to create ridiculous rigs with the fx3.

I’m an FM3 owner that just recently purchased an FX-III. I wanted the extra horsepower in the studio. I noodled on it most of the day.

The FM3 is not going anywhere, though. I just played out with it tonight. It is just too nice to be able to throw it in a duffel bag and go, and have 90% of the big daddy right there at my feet.

I know that’s a lot to have tied up in modelers, but I sure am happy having both. If I was 100% studio, the the Axe would win hands down. But given my situation, I would not be able to choose between one or the other.

Wondering if anyone has upgraded from the FM3 to an FX-III - is there overwhelming reasons to do so ? just wondering thanks much
They're different devices, serving different purposes. I have both. The FM3 is perfect for live work for everyday working musicians, and for simple to medium-complex presets, and for when you need a grab-n-go system for travel or fly-dates. The FM3 and a FC6 is a killer combination, especially with the OMG9 layout.

The AF3 and FC-12, is for the touring semi-pro to pro, or the full studio, where the sound MUST be uncompromising and money is no object and you have a rack.

There's a really good overlap between to two, especially when the FC-6 or FC-12 is attached.

In the every day real-world, the FM3 is capable of 90%+ of the AF3. I can't imagine a touring professional needing 100% of the AF3's capabilities and odds are good the FM3 will cover everything a working player needs. A studio could run out of slots for presets, but that'd be because they're not being smart about off-loading presets or using their non-Fractal effects processors.

You are really the only one capable of deciding which makes the most sense. I have both because... well, I "graduated" from the everyday workforce, and then the virus hit and I had to take some money out and that's where I directed it. The end result is, I love them both and the FM3 is extremely capable but it's not capable of EVERYTHING the AF3 can do. But, every time I start working on a preset I discover ways to make the FM3 do something close enough that I'm happy. They're both great units.

My opinion is, use the FM3 until you run into a situation where you can not get it to do what you want, then sit on it for a week and think about it, and then try again. Do that several more times, and, after that see if it makes sense to upgrade.

Last edited:
Yeah, it really does depend on your goal. I think part of figuring out what I wanted/needed was the desire to have a broad canvas always available (one pedalboard) because I like to improvise. Then, I use scenes to call up baseline canvas starting points to launch from. I need to narrow that canvas when I plan for the FM3 because of CPU. Rethinking how I approach and use the devices differently is part of that process. Part of this is about refining how you do what you do. Have fun on this journey!

I’ll also add that going through every factory preset and its scenes is eye-opening. The sounds are really good and are excellent examples of what the FM3 can do, and they’re probably well beyond what most people expect from it.

Cygnus on the AF3 is almost out of beta testing, and it’s a major, easily heard and impressive improvement in the realism of the sound. Once that ships they’ll start porting it to the FM3 which will inherit the same quality of sound and should get additional drives and amp models that currently exist on the AF3. So it’s not like the FM3 is being left behind, because Fractal intends to keep it around and supported and in parallel for many years. When Cygnus hits the FM3 it’s going to blow people’s minds, it’s that good.

Last edited:
In a nut shell its going to blow your mind - that would be in what way ?

I asked about the Axe III because Im assuming presets that are created in Axe III that use the extra horsepower cant be used in FM3 - also is there more storage space for user presets in the Axe III

Wondering if it makes much of a difference having said that ?

Thanks Guys

I asked about the Axe III because Im assuming presets that are created in Axe III that use the extra horsepower cant be used in FM3 - also is there more storage space for user presets in the Axe III

Thanks Guys
Blow your mind in what way? It's a very capable little machine with BIG sound. If a preset will fit into it it'll sound as good as the Axe-FX III on Ares 15.1 with the same preset.

There are presets on the AF3 that exceed the FM3's capabilities, sure. But, I've been able to consolidate blocks when having two of something didn't seem to be useful and if there were enough spare channels in the #1 block, and it wasn't exceeding the CPU limits. If there was a specific scene that was causing the problem I've moved it to its own preset and removed it from the original and was able to consolidate and squeeze everything in and move it to the FM3 where it ran fine. I think that some people don't pay attention to making a preset economical when they're on the AF3 because they've got so much horsepower to spare.

Storage space on the AF3 is a lot bigger, but who needs more than 512 presets in the unit when we can easily store them on disk and import them quickly? Even if you keep the factory presets installed there's 127 slots empty.

Great explanation - one question I put in a new preset or even delete one I think and it takes a long time to rebuild - guess thats normal ? this FM3 is outstanding - luv it

Thanks Guys
The advantage of the AF3 over the FM3 is quantity, not quality. Number of effects of amps you can have in your preset.

Reverbs, especially, are one area where you may find yourself having to use fewer blocks or a lower quality setting to save CPU. On the AF3, I’ve been able to be very careless about adding blocks, but on my friend’s FM3, we’re looking for ways to accomplish the same thing more efficiently so we can turn up the quality on the reverb block. His needs are modest, so we were able to cover everything he needed.

I own both. I initially got the III, while still keeping Axe II with intent to use it live. I was just tired of dragging my rig with me all the time. After a couple of months I realized that Axe III is miles ahead, decided to sell the II and jump on the FM3 waitlist.

I now keep the Axe III in my studio, where I can use it’s full potential, and use FM3 as a brain of my live rig. I find the former to be an overkill live considering my needs (1 preset with 5 scenes), and the latter is perfect for that.

It really comes down to your needs, to me: studio workhorse - Axe III, portable live setup - FM3.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom