Thinking of swapping my FM3 for an HX Stomp

Can we get a Klon while you're in there tinkering, Cliff?
The "Klon" request always reminded me of a very mad guy from the past (2014/2015) who tried to blackmail FAS .....:nomouth: honstely, before I never heard about that pedal myself (lol)......

HX has the Klon, I had (an original one) in because of a faulty DC input zener diode recentely (always happens when somebody put the wrong voltage to the unit) - I don't liked it very much - personaly I find it a very overrated pedal. I love the Timmy (Jan Ray) instead......but if we can wish some other drive, I would ask for an Ibanez Mostortion ;)

Sorry @ JZucker for hijacking your thread....btt

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I read where you liked his tone and I found this video of him using a Boss GT1000. I thought perhaps that maybe that unit may be able to get this guy's tone that you like? Also, I said I have a GT1000 CORE and if you don't like your FM3, I would trade. Get it?

huh? I never said anything about liking the video he did with the GT1000? Or are you just trying to be funny? I said that he's done a lot of demos with the Helix Stomp and someone else on the thread mentioned that he's switched over to that for almost everything.

Nope, this is not the reason......in the axe you can divide the concept of every amp into a simple block based concept - input buffer/filter -preamp - GEQ - poweramp. Even those amps that have no GEQ option - in the axefx they you can add stuff you can't in reality. BUT - for solid state amps - things work a bit differently than tube amps. First - the influence of the reative load of a speaker doesn't matter with a solid state power amp, since the damping factor is much higher and the power amplifier acts like a quasi voltage source. So therefor - all parameter to simulate the behavior of the power amp and the complex speaker load are not importannt to simulate a traditional SS power amp. But the 2nd issue is, that most modern bass amps with tubes don't have full tube preamps using the same parameter and toppology like traditional guitar tube amps will have..... the solution would be a dedicated bass amp block where you could imply all those little topology changes without the need to rework 290+ guitar amp models.

Postretro's tipps above are great and useful! Maybe you can recreate a solid state bass amp without using the amp block

The HX Stomp has an Aguilar, Acoustic 360, Mesa M9, Gallien Krueger GK800RB and a Pearce BC-1 SS bass amp, rest is roughly the same tube bass amps as the axe/fm3 also features......

One of the major plus of the HX units is that they feature the original parameters as on the modeled units. In the axefx we have a ton of advanced parameters to tweak but for a player who want to plug in and dial in a tone, these are way to advanced in many cases - and often difficult, since they would interact in a way most normal user will never understand (and never use them because of that).

Ask Rett Shull, Johnatan Cordy, Adam Neely, Cory Wong, Zack Brock, Bill Kelliher, Jake Kiszka, Pete Thorn - they have the Stomp on their pedal boards....

EDIT: Okay...my other comment was too offensive against someone who made offensive comments against others, so they get on me instead of the one who actually spread the salt and pepper.
It's always a bit disrespectful the moment somebody as jzucker has avalid argument and come along with some very nice and profund playing to demonstrate his needs, someone else think he can turn him down just because he mentioned a 3rd party product. My dear moderators, answers should be helpful - and yes, I'm always the guy who speaks out against those who think they shouldn't. Sorry for being offensive against those who are being offensive instead of helpfull. I'll try to ignore them in the future. ;)
If you thnk rat shill and the other youtubers are professional musicians... then youve got bigge rproblems than your imaginary forum issues.

I like John Cordy and hes the only person who sounds better with hx stomp.

But its a toy as ive said a hundred timesin this thread. Enjoy your happy meal toy. I owned one, it was a fun TOY. Then I got the FM3 and said goodby to the little happy meal toy from mcdonalds (hx stomp) and used this sophisticated machine.

OP please sell your Fractal and get an HX Stomp.

I wasn't familiar with Janek, been listening to some of his stuff and...wow, love it! However...listening to his HX Stomp vid, he appears to be using it only as an effects pedal with his amp, not direct to board. In that use case...the HX Stomp is IMHO a phenomenal pedal ESPECIALLY for avant garde stuff and ease of quick editing on the fly from the unit. Of course, the FM3 can also excel in oddball effects but the size/price of the Stomp is hard to beat there. Once you add amps to the equation is where I'll take the FM3 all day (when it comes to bass amps clearly YMMV).
Shhh.... dont talk sense.

I'm not a bass guy, but had a Helix Floor for 2-3 years after I had Axe FX II XL and before I moved to FM3. I believe HX Stomp uses pretty much the same software as Helix for their processing, perhaps a bit limited and less features. Anyway, I found that Helix sounds great but a bit, ehmm, "plastic", comparing to Fractal. I'd advise you trying it out first, and comparing side by side in terms of sound. Apart from sound there are way more factors that makes Fractal units choice number one for me personally.
Yes lets let the OP learn for themselves. They can enjoy thir plastic sounding little toy. With all its "weep and woop" sounds.

Yes lets let the OP learn for themselves. They can enjoy thir plastic sounding little toy. With all its "weep and woop" sounds.
The sounds are not plastic or tiny...... they lack of a bit clarity with higher gain tones, but are pretty similar as the other competitors aka Neural DSP QC, AxeFx III Mk2 and Kemper Profiler Stage ...check:

BTW: I have an AxeFx III Turbo and an HX Stomp in my rig and I'm keeping both...... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to continue the Jazz 120 to Jazz Bass amp conversation in a thread specifically for that topic. I will try to make each parameter change understandable and audible.

Meanwhile, I will leave a post here about lowering the "Tonestack Frequency" from a guitar amp range to a bass amp range.

(Amp block; Preamp page) “Tonestack Frequency”

1) Lower the “Tonestack Frequency” (TSF) when using a guitar amp as a bass amp.

600 Hz = Jazz 120

Bass Tonestack Frequencies (for reference)

200 Hz = Citrus Bass 200 (Orange Bass AD200B)
200 Hz = FAS Bass
200 Hz = USA Bass 400 1
200 Hz = USA Bass 400 1
470 Hz = 65 Bassguy Bass
750 Hz = SV Bass 1
800 Hz = SV Bass 2
800 Hz = Porta Bass

2) Using the “Tonestack Frequency” as another tone control.

The TSF control is very similar -- in function -- to Blackstar's ISF (Infinite Shape Feature) control. However, since the TSF control operates by scaling all the capacitors in the tonestack, at the same time, I would describe the TSF as more precise. That is to say, it preserves more of the original tonestack's characteristic frequency contours, or shape, while shifting the range of the tonestack's operation. The TSF control can also shift the tonestack over a much wider range, than the ISF control.

(Tonestack Calculator demos an example of the Blackstar ISF tonestack
-- "Blackstar" tab, 3rd from the right, https://www.guitarscience.net/tsc )

Different guitars, styles, amps, even songs, can benefit from changing the TSF control to suit the situation.

1) Write down the original TS Frequency.

2) Make the Mid frequency cut easier to hear.
i. Set a deep mid cut.
ii. Turn the Bass and Treble way up.
iii. If there is a Mid control, turn the mids way down.

3) Then, sweep the TS Frequency control
until you find a new position that is pleasing.

4) Write down the new TS Frequency.

6) Compare the new frequency to the original position
-- see if it is an improvement.

7) Then re-set your TMB tone controls
for the sound you want.

8) Compare the new position to the previous one again.
-- see if it is still an improvement.

9) stop here -- or do some final fine-tuning
with some short, limited sweeping -- maybe +/- 5-10%
This is not absolutely necessary, though.

Why fine-tune it again?
Most passive tone controls will shift the frequency of the mid-cut
by a small amount as the mid tone control is changed.
Your tone settings may have shifted the mid cut a little.

The mid-cut of a typical 5F6 / Marshall's Tonestack is often close to ideal for a PAF humbucker -- for rock. That is not always the case for a Strat, which has fewer mids to spare.

Often, an optimally positioned tonestack makes the tone controls more usable for the specific situation.

"Bass Mods 2 TSF"
Scene 1, TSF = 600 Hz (stock)
Scene 2, TSF = 400 Hz
Scene 3, TSF = 300 Hz
Scene 4, TSF = 200 Hz

Attachments

• Bass Mods 2 TSF.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
huh? I never said anything about liking the video he did with the GT1000? Or are you just trying to be funny? I said that he's done a lot of demos with the Helix Stomp and someone else on the thread mentioned that he's switched over to that for almost everything.
Not trying to be funny at all. I think you grossly misread any comments I have made. Maybe I can try and make it clearer for you.
I have no idea who this Janek guy is. Never heard of him. I Noticed you like his tone or want to sound similar. I looked him up and found a vid he did with a Boss product...just by chance. I noticed from the title of this thread you were thinking about switching to a Line 6 product. I know the Boss unit is not a Line 6 but was just mentioning it to you in case it might be something that would be better for you than the FM3.
I am an Axe Fx III user and also dabble a little in Bass. I like you, but for a different reason, don't care for the Fractal bass tones. I personally prefer an Ampeg tone but don't find the Fractal ones nearly as good as the UA Ampeg models. So, I feel your pain, concerning the Fractal Bass tones available.
All this said: I own a Boss GT1000 CORE and since you were thinking about swapping out your FM3 for another product, I am suggesting that I would trade you for your FM3? That is ONLY if YOU like the Boss GT 1000 CORE. Maybe you don't? Then fine, good day.

Reasons to make the switch:
1. Form factor.
2. "Ease of use" and flexibility. This is obviously subjective.

I decided to continue the Jazz 120 to Jazz Bass amp conversation in a thread specifically for that topic. I will try to make each parameter change understandable and audible.
I loaded your preset. This is incredible detailed and pro work. Many thanks to this. For me this comes very close to a proper jazz sound. just some thoughts from my tiny experience in tweaking:

I use the citrus 200 in more or less stock settings. To me it sounds close to your preset and very jazzy.

A huge difference makes the pre-amp in the cab. I like the modern one. The frequency selection concerning bass/mid/treb I do there

also, a big difference makes the room level and size in the cab block. I put it at 30% and the size 8m

And I definitely would invest some time in choosing a cab

If you thnk rat shill and the other youtubers are professional musicians... then youve got bigge rproblems than your imaginary forum issues.

I like John Cordy and hes the only person who sounds better with hx stomp.

But its a toy as ive said a hundred timesin this thread. Enjoy your happy meal toy. I owned one, it was a fun TOY. Then I got the FM3 and said goodby to the little happy meal toy from mcdonalds (hx stomp) and used this sophisticated machine.

OP please sell your Fractal and get an HX Stomp.
cory wong is a shill?

This is a typical janus performance. Playing with Mike Stern. Again, janek did the GT1000 as a paid endorsement.

Meanwhile, I will leave a post here about lowering the "Tonestack Frequency" from a guitar amp range to a bass amp range.

(Amp block; Preamp page) “Tonestack Frequency”

1) Lower the “Tonestack Frequency” (TSF) when using a guitar amp as a bass amp.

600 Hz = Jazz 120

Bass Tonestack Frequencies (for reference)

200 Hz = Citrus Bass 200 (Orange Bass AD200B)
200 Hz = FAS Bass
200 Hz = USA Bass 400 1
200 Hz = USA Bass 400 1
470 Hz = 65 Bassguy Bass
750 Hz = SV Bass 1
800 Hz = SV Bass 2
800 Hz = Porta Bass

2) Using the “Tonestack Frequency” as another tone control.

The TSF control is very similar -- in function -- to Blackstar's ISF (Infinite Shape Feature) control. However, since the TSF control operates by scaling all the capacitors in the tonestack, at the same time, I would describe the TSF as more precise. That is to say, it preserves more of the original tonestack's characteristic frequency contours, or shape, while shifting the range of the tonestack's operation. The TSF control can also shift the tonestack over a much wider range, than the ISF control.

(Tonestack Calculator demos an example of the Blackstar ISF tonestack
-- "Blackstar" tab, 3rd from the right, https://www.guitarscience.net/tsc )

Different guitars, styles, amps, even songs, can benefit from changing the TSF control to suit the situation.

1) Write down the original TS Frequency.

2) Make the Mid frequency cut easier to hear.
i. Set a deep mid cut.
ii. Turn the Bass and Treble way up.
iii. If there is a Mid control, turn the mids way down.

3) Then, sweep the TS Frequency control
until you find a new position that is pleasing.

4) Write down the new TS Frequency.

6) Compare the new frequency to the original position
-- see if it is an improvement.

7) Then re-set your TMB tone controls
for the sound you want.

8) Compare the new position to the previous one again.
-- see if it is still an improvement.

9) stop here -- or do some final fine-tuning
with some short, limited sweeping -- maybe +/- 5-10%
This is not absolutely necessary, though.

Why fine-tune it again?
Most passive tone controls will shift the frequency of the mid-cut
by a small amount as the mid tone control is changed.
Your tone settings may have shifted the mid cut a little.

The mid-cut of a typical 5F6 / Marshall's Tonestack is often close to ideal for a PAF humbucker -- for rock. That is not always the case for a Strat, which has fewer mids to spare.

Often, an optimally positioned tonestack makes the tone controls more usable for the specific situation.

"Bass Mods 2 TSF"
Scene 1, TSF = 600 Hz (stock)
Scene 2, TSF = 400 Hz
Scene 3, TSF = 300 Hz
Scene 4, TSF = 200 Hz
Thanks! Any difference between the scenes on this one?

By the way, it sounds good but there seems to be a hollowness to it that I didn't hear with the V1. Also, while it sounds good for the really mellow janek tone, I'm struggling to dial in good slap tone with it. With the aguilar or markbass amps, I can adjust the tone controls go from one one to the other.

Here's a great slap tone example...

what's the link to the other thread? maybe we should move over there. This one's getting too political! ;)

Last edited:
The sounds are not plastic or tiny...... they lack of a bit clarity with higher gain tones, but are pretty similar as the other competitors aka Neural DSP QC, AxeFx III Mk2 and Kemper Profiler Stage ...check:

BTW: I have an AxeFx III Turbo and an HX Stomp in my rig and I'm keeping both...... ;)

This video made me want another Kemper, if anything :D Except for that 5150 profile :oops:

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the HX Stomp. The comparison between Helix and Fractal has been beaten to death. Use what you like. I have both, but prefer the FM3. Either one has been used on hit records. 99% of the people here probably couldn’t tell the two apart in a mix anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom