Thinking of swapping my FM3 for an HX Stomp

Oh, one more thing. If you really want to use an amp model...you can kinda make yourself an SS bass amp in the FM3 by changing the tone stack on the Jazz 120 model to one of the bass tone stacks and then try to tune the Speaker impedance curve (unfortunately there likely isn't something to match your IRs, 1X15 Portabass or 4X10 SV Bass maybe).

Thanks. I appreciate the well thought out advice.

Ive never heard of someone going from Fractal to HX Stomp, but yes there are a few differences. I actually dont know of any professional musicians using HX Stomp, maybe 1.
I can think of several. It’s not hard at all. Chris Buck is someone that immediately comes to mind.

It's 2022 if you can't get the guitar/bass sound you're after with a current generation modeling setup it is operator error.
I appreciate your offer but I'm not really looking for help with a particular preset. I'm just offering that a modeling processor that has more of the amps that are closer to what I use IRL would be helpful.
To be clear, you don't want help using your FM3 to get better bass tones you just want to muse about different tools?

/thread

None of those are even close to the kind of amp I need for my music. Not a single one unfortunately. I have tons of IRs for bass cabs. bergantino and Aguilar SL112 (which is what I use for my real amp). I'm sure for rock band stuff it's sufficient but I feel like hx stomp offers way more in the way of bass amp specific stuff. The fractal tube pre is particularly disappointing for the kind of stuff I play. Just as a reference, here's a quick clip I recorded on guitar and bass.

I like the bass sound but when I compare it to my real markbass, the real amp blows away the fractal. If I run the fractal with any of the amp models through the effect return of my markbass without the cab IR engaged, the result is dull and lifeless.

Did you try turning off the Power Amp modeling in the Fractal when you connected it to the effects return of your Markbass ? This can sometimes make a significant difference.

I had an HX stomp. The pro is thats its smaller. Otherwise the Fractal FM3 is light years better. Im sure Janek would be using an FM3 had he tried one. The HX stomp feels like a McDonals Happy meal toy.

I feel the same way. The one single pro was the size. Thought I would use it as a backup but honestly the tone wasn’t even anywhere close to Fractal. I really really tried to like it and give it a fair shot but just never bonded with it.

A few thoughts that may help:

-- For more headroom:
Set the "Variac" up to "150%"

-- For tighter response:
Set the" Sag" to "0" or very low
Set any "Bias Excursion" params to "0" or very low
Set "Tube Type" to "KT88" tubes
Set Tube "Hardness" higher
Set the Power Tube "Grid Bias" higher
Set "Negative Feedback" higher

Set "Speaker Compliance" higher
Set "Speaker Compression" lower
Set "Speaker Time Const" lower

Set the "Impedance Curve" to a "Resistive Load" or something almost as flat

Set the "Power Type" to "DC"

or

Set "Power Amp Modeling" to "Off"

Try out your favorite tonestack in each of your possible preamp/amp choices.

or

Use only a Micro Boost drive pedal with a "HV tube" as a "clip type"
Set the pedal "EQ" to "Off"
Adjust "Slew Rate" to taste -- higher is probably what you will want

Use a PEQ as a tone stack -- pick the frequencies you want to use as adjustment points

It can take some time to find what parameter tweaks work best for you.
But, the sound is extremely customizable.
And once you know what works best for you, it can be exactly and precisely what you want.

i am not a Bass Player.
But, this is where I would start.
Perhaps, a Bass player could give you a more thoughtful and more focused set of choices.

I believe setting
the Variac to "150%,"
the "Power Type" to "DC," and
the "Speaker Imp Curve" to "Resistive Load"
should get you much closer to a solid state sound.

I hope this is helpful.

I feel the same way. The one single pro was the size. Thought I would use it as a backup but honestly the tone wasn’t even anywhere close to Fractal. I really really tried to like it and give it a fair shot but just never bonded with it.

Same here, size if great, being able to get tones and features from the big units and the rest of the ecosystem in a small package is also great.

However, the tones are not on a par with Fractal. Not in my experience

I've had two Stomps. One when I had my AX8 and after I'd got my III and heard there'd been this huge improvement in the modelling
In both cases I found the Stomp incredibly frustrating to use. The Atomic units are far easier to setup and I think the amp modelling is better

OP, it's obviously your choice in what you use. But the Stomp is a downgrade in my eyes to Fractal, YMMV and all that, but it does seem odd you're dismissing tips on setting up the FM3.

Same here, size if great, being able to get tones and features from the big units and the rest of the ecosystem in a small package is also great.

However, the tones are not on a par with Fractal. Not in my experience

I've had two Stomps. One when I had my AX8 and after I'd got my III and heard there'd been this huge improvement in the modelling
In both cases I found the Stomp incredibly frustrating to use. The Atomic units are far easier to setup and I think the amp modelling is better

OP, it's obviously your choice in what you use. But the Stomp is a downgrade in my eyes to Fractal, YMMV and all that, but it does seem odd you're dismissing tips on setting up the FM3.

There are a 3 or 4 amp models in the HX Stomp which I can make work, but I generally much prefer Fractal amps. But the OP has a very, very specific use case where the Stomp may be easier to set up to get the tones he wants. It's going to be a potential trade off here where he gives a little on the guitar side to get a little on the bass side.

Reactions: JTI
I love the FM3 but the lack of a SS bass amp head is a bit of a disappointment. I play mostly jazz ala janek gwizdala, matt garrison, tony grey, etc. Janek is using the hx stomp. The hxstomp has over 10 bass amps. The fractal has 2 and none of them work for me. I've been using a JC120 and the 8 band output EQ for a bass amp and it's not horrible but also not ideal.

Just wondering what others have found to be successful?

Here are a couple examples of what I'm doing

I see your point on the Fractal models, no modern design SS amps in the list. In my limited experience, modern tube amps are very clean, with judicious compression and EQ specific to the amp designer. Traditional tube tone may not be a part of the recipe. I’m not sure if any Fractal models are set up like that, the models seem to exploit the characteristics of tube amps too much (Intrinsic clipping and distortion, addition of harmonic content from various sub circuits, loose low end response, etc). I’m optimistic that the Fractal has the tools to be set up for a good modern bass tone, but it would take a lot of work with deep parameters and study of the Aguilar design and EQ section to get it right. Maybe someone has done this already and has presets available?

Question to the OP; what brand and type of strings are you using on your fretless bass? Love the tone in the clip you posted.

janek gwizdala makes up for any 100 other musicians. ;)
Please email him and ask him if hes Heard of an FM3. That may... help your opinion.

Like I said the HX Stomp feels like a happy meal toy. The FM3 is sophisticated.

Try em both and see what you think. As mentioned elsewhere they used the Fractal on a preset for a superbowl performance recently and a ton of multi million dollar bands use it. Like I say its more sophisticated, HX is small thats really all it has going for it. Its kind of like a toy where the Fractal feels as professional as this stuff can be at this stage in the game.

You're right, in your use case you're hearing the sound you're looking for on a different effect unit than Fractal offers, so be happy and go for it!

Nothing prevents the use of two different units for certain applications.
I used Helix for a few years and liked the improvements made by line6 before going with Fractal.
Opinion on comparisons between Helix and AX FX, there are a ton of them on youtube and for the most part they are two equivalent products.

Of course not! Helix is good, yes I don't like to hear it's a toy, it's just not in the same category, good for tight budgets who want something correct, it's perfect!

Fractal audio offers premium products that cost more than double! The difference is unquestionably, nothing comes close to it, any product that arrives on the market is compared to Fractal, it says a lot about the position occupied by this company!

That said without judgment, I simply have a misunderstanding in relation to your post, is it a question of asking for help to find your sound? if this is the case among the members of this forum I have read excellent advice! It's all in the wording, a simple hello! I can't get the sound of such can you help me! will have been more constructive than "I'm thinking of going with helix stomp! you know what I mean lol . . . anyway be good with your decisions and no one but you knows what's best for you!"

Back
Top Bottom