Thinking of replacing my Diezel/Cornford rig with Axe FX

Random Hero

Inspired
Basically, I'm not in a band at the moment, studying at The Guitar Institute. Live in a flat in London with no car and 15 mins walk from the underground. Downgraded my 4x12 to an oversized Cornford 1x12 but it's still a lot of amp for the use it gets right now. Almost considering getting an XT/X3 and some good speakers and rocking that for while until I have the need for a high power, high dollar head. That or a laptop rig for now.

I have the Einstein at the minute. I absolutely love it but it's just cash sitting in the corner of the room at the minute I guess, for a lot of the time. I was thinking of upgrading to the Axe FX once my student loans and grants come in, in the autumn, should I go through with this. Alternatively I could sell my rig now and get a Standard but I also don't wanna think down the line "I wish I got the Ultra..."

I've been here before a few times but always stopped myself because I - like the rest of us - love playing a great amp that I love but I can't help thinking it's akin to having a high power car sit in my garage for 364 days of the year.

Any views?

What may help your decision making is if someone else in the UK has one nearby that would allow you to stop by and play the Axe-FX and listen. Does it feel right to you? Does it sound right to you?

There is a Diezel model in the Axe-FX although I am not certain it is the Einstein. There is a Cornford sim as well.

If you had a chance to bring your guitar and play through someone else's Axe-FX that would be your best bet.

I'd say get the Ultra... based on some posts I've seen Cliff would tell you to get 2! :D

Hi
Ive 'abandoned' a Cornford Mk1 1 50 (with matching 4x12) and a Bogner Shiva with oversized Bogner 2 x 12. I use the axe exclusively now, FRFR.
I have the Cornford and Bogner plugged in and ready to go for whenever I feel the urge to go back to a smoking valve stack, but honestly that is becoming less and less and is more of a psychological comfort blanket.
I have the axe plugged ino an RCF ART powered monitor and getting sounds I love is so easy compared to the amps.

Well,

I pretty much haven't turned on a tube amp at home in the year + that I've owned my AXE FX Ultra. The only time I've played one is when I kill time in music stores. In fact, there's a boutique shop (near Boston) which is like less than an hour from my home. I went there a few months ago and played through various Bogners (Shiva, Ecstasy, etc.), a Matchless, a Divided by 13, a Dr.Z, and others. I walked out of there stunned. ...Stunned at how much I didn't want to buy anything. This was a big departure for me. I used to walk out of those places DYING to buy something. I actually walked away with a smile, thinking, "I have gotten all of those sounds out of my AXE FX." In some cases, those amps didn't sound as great as I either remembered or expected. I actually was shocked to think that in most cases, my AXE FX sounds better to my ears. And, most importantly, I realized that in order for me to buy all of the boutique amps necessary to replace the AXE FX arsenal, I would have to be filthy rich.

It's the single greatest musical purchase that I've ever made. I will assume that you're a music student who will probably want or need to play different styles. If so, this thing is a MUST HAVE.

If the purchase doesn't put you in debt, I would do it. I used a Budda SD45 (not your setup, I know) and I always thought it had a great crunch tone. I replaced that big (also had Marshall 4x12), heavy rig for the Axe and a pair of 12ma's and couldn't be happier. For one, my rig is much more portable. It's more reliable. It can get my (to my ears and hands) great Budda tone. But wait, it also can get a lot of great tones I couldn't get before! I can get super gained out metal, I can get clean blues and more. All convincingly good!

For the gigging musician or the home/bedroom player, I don't think there is a better solution.

Its like I am stalking mitch236... I've posted in 3 different thread he's posted in!

You really need to try it to get a feel for if you will like how it feels and sounds. And like mitch236 said, don't put yourself in debt for it. I can tell you this... if you like it and have the money for it, it is one of the best gear investments you can make.

When I bought mine it came with firmware 3.x and look we are at 7.13 with another pending firmware release if you have been reading one of the Wish List threads. The unit keeps getting better and better. One purchase, constant quality/feature improvements.

Just to contrast didn't TC Electronics release G-Major 2? So those that bought the original G-Major there was no firmware upgrade to it you had to buy a whole new rack piece.

So to the degree you can test drive it to make sure it is for you and don't go into debt for it.

Nope, it won't get me in debt provided I sell my current rig. With the use it gets at the minute, it's probably a sound thing for me to do. I love my rig but it's just too loud for a flat and I can't move it anywhere. Most of my actual practice is done on a V-Amp, which is utterly horrific.

I'm really thinking I'm gonna do it.

Random Hero said:
Nope, it won't get me in debt provided I sell my current rig. With the use it gets at the minute, it's probably a sound thing for me to do. I love my rig but it's just too loud for a flat and I can't move it anywhere. Most of my actual practice is done on a V-Amp, which is utterly horrific.

Before you sell anything, make sure you learn how to do Impulse Responses of you cabs. With that you'll keep some of the current rig in the Ultra. ;)

Do it.

i sold my VHT 50ST rig after not touching it for 6 months.

I was thinking of a Deizel Einstein, Herbert - Bogner XTC or VHT Sig-X but couldnt choose which one - or indeed if any were better than my VHT 50ST.

Now I have a lighter, smaller, more versatile rig. I have no regretts selling my VHT, and my GAS for the other amps have gone completely.

Now Im only GASing for a Suhr !!!!

i have a Standard - and tore myself appart trying to decide between it and an Ultra (which would have been a financial push). Im a regular guy, I tend to use 1 amp, 1 cab (Recording - I use a SS power amp and 2x12 for live). I have 2 drives, a reverb, a delay, a compressor, 2 EQs (as boosts), a Chourus or Phaser, a wah, and a rotory sim on ALL my patches (using IAs to simulate a pedalboard). I also have 2 gain settings per patch (again - an IA toggles them).

I have never been past 78% CPU useage.

The Ultra is tempting but I havent regretted only getting the Ultra. You need to be using a LOT of FX, dual amp/cab rigs or need the FX only the Ultra can do to really justify one IMO.

That said, If I had the money for the Ultra without stretching I would have had one (for the faster CPU and extra memory only), even If I could have used the extra for other GAS.

Think what you need from your rig - not what you want ;) The Standard if fine for many many applications.

If you use the 14 day money back period from G.66, order the Standard. You can always return it and get the Ultra instead if you find your CPU useage in the 90s during that time.

Random Hero said:

Hey Random,

You're on Rig Talk. You know how most are thinking there. It was those evil bastards that got me to reading about it after what? 1000 threads?

I sold off a Herbert, a G System, and a Mesa 4x12 to buy the Ultra and a QSC monitor. Ended up with a healthy savings account deposit and tone that is MUCH closer to the sound I wanted (2 amp/cabs at once).

I play at home at whisper quiet volume and it sounds good.

At rehearsal I'm louder than the drums and it sounds good.

First gig in July and I have to expect it'll sound good.

Its going to be a bit strange being on stage with a computer instead of a half stack, but the tone outweighs any of those concerns. Besides, I'll just throw a pocket protector and some horn rimmed glasses on and go all nerdy.

I havent missed the Herbert for a minute.

My ONLY gripe is that there is a lag in patch changes. With the G System you could strike a chord and step on any pedal/patch change you wanted and there was NO dropout in sound.

With the Ultra there is a definite drop out and its distracting as hell.

I'm avoiding that by loading up one patch with a boatload of stuff and using my board to just bypass/turn on effects in that one patch. Its eating about 95% of the Ultras memory and that bothers me a bit, but I guess its a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

nextfoolmartyr said:
My ONLY gripe is that there is a lag in patch changes. With the G System you could strike a chord and step on any pedal/patch change you wanted and there was NO dropout in sound.

With the Ultra there is a definite drop out and its distracting as hell.

I'm avoiding that by loading up one patch with a boatload of stuff and using my board to just bypass/turn on effects in that one patch. Its eating about 95% of the Ultras memory and that bothers me a bit, but I guess its a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I think the lag actually goes away when you enable Spillover. I had the same issue and patch changes are now pretty much instant.

I think my mind is made up really. I'm gonna go for one. Just need to decide whether I need the extra Ultra stuff or need it. I can always sell and upgrade if I'm missing it, and spend the extra for now on some great speakers perhaps.

Do it

I have a Cornford MK50MkII that I doubt I'll use again now I have the ultra, also had a Carerra as well - both Awesome Amps, but that Axe Covers many more bases, and it at least 90% as good sounding as the real amps if not more.

I would go with the ultra personally because I think the extra CPU power allows you to be a little more flexible with the way you set things up without running out of CPU. I like to have all my patches in the same format so that I can switch things on and off with my Ground control and it works the same on each patch. then I can be totally flexible. I doubt I could do this on the Std, also I have one patch with 2 amps and 2 cabs and it hit the limit - I had to remove he compressor to free up CPU overhead.

I have all mine set:
COMP> Wah> Driv1 > Drive 2> Amp1> Cab1> > Pitch > Dly1 and Rev 1 in Paralell, Filter (for boost).

(BTW Those with Pitch don't have Wah and vice versa (Not enought IA buttons on the Ground control)

Only the Amp and cab are on, all others bypassed, then I switch them in as needed

Each patch then will have different Amps/ Cabs, Drives, reverb, delay, pitch and key etc, but the CC message to switch them on is the same- Genius piece of kit.

Good luck

Random Hero said:
I think my mind is made up really. I'm gonna go for one. Just need to decide whether I need the extra Ultra stuff or need it.

Sounds like you subconsciously already made up your mind about that too. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom