Thinking of purchasing a Matrix cab/monitor...

SOAWM

Inspired
The weakest link in my rig is most definitely my monitoring system. At the moment I play through an Electro-Voice ELX112 passive monitor, powered by a GT1000FX.
The ELX is undoubtedly a great monitor for its price, but lately I have been having the feeling that there is a far better solution out there. It even got to the point that I almost bought a 212 V30 cab, just to experience and compare the sound again.
Luckily I came to my senses and realized that I couldn't miss the flexibility of a FRFR-system. This also made me come to the conclusion that my current monitor is actually only half FRFR. Namely Full Range, but no Flat Response.

Am I just falling victim to GAS again or am I really missing out sound wise? My current band situation may also influence my monitoring needs... It has been impossible to find a suitable drummer and we've become so desperate that we are actually contemplating gigging with drumtracks. If I would buy a Matrix monitor I would use that as main sound source on stage and the ELX as a wedge for personal monitoring. Going for in-ears has also come to mind, but at the moment I can't justify the price. If we had had bigger and more gigs, it would've been an option.

What do you guys think? If I'd buy a Matrix, I think the Q12 would be the most logical choice?

The weakest link in my rig is most definitely my monitoring system. At the moment I play through an Electro-Voice ELX112 passive monitor, powered by a GT1000FX.
The ELX is undoubtedly a great monitor for its price, but lately I have been having the feeling that there is a far better solution out there. It even got to the point that I almost bought a 212 V30 cab, just to experience and compare the sound again.
Luckily I came to my senses and realized that I couldn't miss the flexibility of a FRFR-system. This also made me come to the conclusion that my current monitor is actually only half FRFR. Namely Full Range, but no Flat Response.

Am I just falling victim to GAS again or am I really missing out sound wise? My current band situation may also influence my monitoring needs... It has been impossible to find a suitable drummer and we've become so desperate that we are actually contemplating gigging with drumtracks. If I would buy a Matrix monitor I would use that as main sound source on stage and the ELX as a wedge for personal monitoring. Going for in-ears has also come to mind, but at the moment I can't justify the price. If we had had bigger and more gigs, it would've been an option.

What do you guys think? If I'd buy a Matrix, I think the Q12 would be the most logical choice?

You already have the GT1000FX which is IMO best SS amp on the market. The Q12 is a fantastic FRFR monitor. I have done well over 15 gigs this year using the GT1000FX and Q12 as my sole source of amplification (no FRFR) in a loud soul/r&b band. The set up was more than loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer and fill the clubs. Personally I liked this setup better than the Active CLR I owned previous to switching to a matrix. You will also continue having the flexibility to use a real cab when you want to as well.

You will be extremely happy with this setup regardless of the style of music.

Last edited:
I've been very happy with the quality of Matrix and the service of G66. Matrix is just much more convenient to buy than Atomic in Europe.
Makes sense.
I was just thinking if you were interested in the CLR you could try mine ;)
But if you get the Q12 then perhaps we could compare those at an Axe-fx meet.

Back
Top Bottom