Thinking of going back to Presets instead of Scenes, ms delay difference with switching?

Never actually measured it on the III, but it's quite fast. I'd guess maybe in the 30 ms or so range. Likely depends on how much crap is in the preset too.

The last time I experimented, one of the factors was the change between specific amp models. Some combinations were faster or slower than others. That was with all other aspects of the patches being exactly the same (global in all blocks, same layout). I can’t say there was a clear determinant of what the delay was between amp models. It that was all a few firmwares ago when there was a specific change to speed up patch changes.

Last edited:
I'd suggest setting up two or three test presets and try it yourself. Only you will know if the gap is too big for your needs, and the best way to find out is to hear it with your own rig and presets.

Did a quick test with Reaper stepping through the first 8 factory presets with my FC-12, and I'm measuring about a 75 ms average drop out for preset changes. Each of those has between 12 and 14 blocks in them, so that's probably a fairly decent average for most preset changes.

In comparison, channel changes for the amp block take about 30 ms but are more fade out and in than a full silent drop out.

As expected, presets with more blocks take longer to load. A preset with only an IN1 block, a full row of shunts, and an OUT1 block loads in about 20 ms, while one with just an IN1 block, Amp block, Cab block, and OUT1 block loads in about 45 ms.

In these tests, spillover was turned OFF in the Global Settings menu.

Last edited:
Did a quick test with Reaper stepping through the first 8 factory presets with my FC-12, and I'm measuring about a 75 ms average drop out for preset changes. Each of those has between 12 and 14 blocks in them, so that's probably a fairly decent average for most preset changes.

In comparison, channel changes for the amp block take about 30 ms but are more fade out and in than a full silent drop out.

As expected, presets with more blocks take longer to load. A preset with only an IN1 block, a full row of shunts, and an OUT1 block loads in about 20 ms, while one with just an IN1 block, Amp block, Cab block, and OUT1 block loads in about 45 ms.

In these tests, spillover was turned OFF in the Global Settings menu.
Thank you for doing this sir! Your deathbed, total consciousness.

As long as it's shorter than the time it would give people to make a lame excuse to escape leave the room it's all good.

More cowbell and let's have another encore of All Right Now.

I don't see why you would not just use both for their benefits. Make for example per song presets with scenes to handle time critical changes. Then change presets between songs. Should work fine for all but those playing 10 minute prog epics.

As long as it's shorter than the time it would give people to make a lame excuse to escape leave the room it's all good.

More cowbell and let's have another encore of All Right Now.
My vote is Cliff builds firmware that does a cowbell sound in between the preset switching. Thus allowing that gap to be filled with the delightful bell of a cow.

Back
Top Bottom