Thinking of giving away my XL+ ... Any Ideas?

bvaughn0402

Inspired
Hey, I have a possibly strange request.

I'm debating giving away my XL+ as I replace it with a III. While I could sell it, I would love to give it to some 15-17 year old kid who can't afford an Axe.

I only worry about getting burned by someone lying to me if I didn't find someone local. And that is what I was thinking of ... looking around local for someone.

I thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas?

I was raised by a single mom, and it took me getting into my 30's before I ever really could afford equipment. It would be cool if I can find someone like I was back then, some 16 year old guitarist, who can't afford anything that I could possibly help out.

But I would want to find someone who 1) is actually young and poor, and 2) who actually shows interest in guitar so that this unit wouldn't be wasted on them (or sold off).

Any ideas?

Awesome Idea... tax write off as well I believe. I gave my II to my son. Trying to locate someone would be difficult i'm afraid. Maybe a school, or training place.

I think a school type setting would be great so a number of students could enjoy it

Give it to just one kid and who knows if it gathers dust when he tires of guitar in 6 months or switches to drums etc

Having a top quality modeler and audio interface could let students do some cool recordings, learn about technology etc

Maybe even attract more kids to a musical program because they could go in after school and play with a pro quality rig

That is a great idea! I also think it would be best to contact a local music charity so you could be assured you are not being scammed. You are very generous and a credit to the Fractal and Music communities!

Thanks everyone! A school donation might work as well ... just need to find someone who knows what it is so they actually use it and not stick it in a closet somewhere! :D

"Music charity" ... I guess I've never heard of this type of thing before. I need to check into that!

Thanks everyone! A school donation might work as well ... just need to find someone who knows what it is so they actually use it and not stick it in a closet somewhere! :D

"Music charity" ... I guess I've never heard of this type of thing before. I need to check into that!
Satriani is associated with one here in the Bay Area. The San Francisco Symphony runs another. Both focus on music education and instruments for kids.

I suppose another option could be to auction the unit, then donate the proceeds. For the price of an AxeII you could buy quite a few guitars, midi keyboards etc

In some ways I think getting MORE kids involved in music and the arts is better than giving just one kid BETTER equipment

Little Kids Rock is a great organization. I know Nate Anderson from when he started Ear Candy here in Phoenix. Great guy and truly cares. Funniest part, he is not a musician.

Hey, I have a possibly strange request.

I'm debating giving away my XL+ as I replace it with a III. While I could sell it, I would love to give it to some 15-17 year old kid who can't afford an Axe.

I only worry about getting burned by someone lying to me if I didn't find someone local. And that is what I was thinking of ... looking around local for someone.

I was raised by a single mom, and it took me getting into my 30's before I ever really could afford equipment. It would be cool if I can find someone like I was back then, some 16 year old guitarist, who can't afford anything that I could possibly help out.

But I would want to find someone who 1) is actually young and poor, and 2) who actually shows interest in guitar so that this unit wouldn't be wasted on them (or sold off).

Any ideas?

Major Firmware Update: Ares Human 1.4...we should all read, install, use...thx. And works on all Ax8, Fx8, Axe Fx II...you can install even on a Pod and sounds amazing :).

I think giving it to a school with a good music program is a good idea. Good luck and ones again thx for doing something like this, its big!

Great idea man !
It would be cool to have some kind of a contest or something - that way you know the person who gets it is actually going to be interested in it and use it - and not put it on craigs list the next day.

The school system in my area takes donations, and I am amazed at what they take in. I have a friend who works in administration for the district, and he made a policy that requires notifying the donor if the value is over $500 with the option to pick it back up. I believe the school system creates a charitable donation letter for tax purposes.

Last year a lady donated all of her deceased husband’s “music junk” as she called it: 808 drum machine, SH101 synth, and an original Prophet keyboard - all mint. He recognized the value and called her. She said keep it anyway.

What about the local Big Brothers organization, children's aid or a local school? Maybe they could put you in touch with a foster home or would know of a child/teen that really wants to learn how to play and would really appreciate it.

By the way...what you're doing is an incredibly kind and generous gesture. After reading about nothing but bad stories today, reading your post about paying it forward, put a huge smile on my face! :)

local music teachers at public schools may know of a student from a low income or broken home that would be greatfull to receive such a gift.

Not to poop on your parade because I admire your generosity... But someone who is really low income may not be able to afford to actually use the Axe Fx, except maybe with headphones.

Think about how much "peripheral" gear your rig uses: midi controller, some form of amp and speaker, etc.

Anyway... Good luck with whatever you do.

I also think you'd be better off selling it and donating the proceeds, it would go much further. The Axe-FX is probably way more capable than most teenage musicians would ever need. They're better served by having a good playable guitar and a good teacher more than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom