Thinking of getting an AX8

Dunky

Hi

Hope no one minds a few questions from a prospective owner....

I’m looking at either the Line 6 Helix ( sorry for mentioning it) or AX8.

Plus points of the AX8 are,
frankly it’s sounds better to me, can’t put my finger on why but it just does, both the Amps and fx
I’m a big IOS user so Fracpad app is a bonus

Plus points of Helix
More inputs and outputs
Easier to get one

My 2 questions are;
Is Fracpad as good as the pc based editor, does it have all the functions etc
I do like to use real amps through a load box and run drive, compressor and wah before the amp with delays, reverb etc after the amp. Can AX8 do this?

Thanks

Dunky....

I do like to use real amps through a load box and run drive, compressor and wah before the amp with delays, reverb etc after the amp. Can AX8 do this?

Yes, the AX8 can be set up in 4-cable method with some effects pre and some post.

Hi,

Thanks but the signal chain would be

Guitar to AX8,
AX8 via fx loop send to front if amp
Amp speaker out to load box
Load box out to fx loop return

The helix can have independent settings for the fx loop send and return , so send can be instrument level for front of amp and return is line level. So the amp does not need an fx loop.

Wondering I’d the AX8 can do the same.

Thanks

Dunky

The helix can have independent settings for the fx loop send and return , so send can be instrument level for front of amp and return is line level. So the amp does not need an fx loop.

Thanks

Dunky

The AX-8 will take line level, but pretty sure it will not take amp output straight in. also pretty sure you will find the Helix will not either. you would need a load box for this, and then a external power amp.

In fear of starting a line6 vs fractal debate, I'll just provide what my thoughts were, before getting an AX8:

-Line6 has a history of farting out new products, and shortly abandoning them update wise when something else comes along. I was on the line6 train for a long while and was always bummed when I got something and read something new and improved was just around the corner. I read this was not the case with fractal where the product keeps improving for a much longer period.
-But the main reason: I tried and Ax Fx2, and the amp sims compared to all line6 stuff I tried (this was before the helix), sounded so much better (to my ears). I wanted that! Signed the waitlist as soon as the AX8 was announced, because of the lower price and more gig friendly chassis (compared to its big brother).

I read many are happy with the helix, and I'm sure its not a bad piece (I have considered the VST version)... but how much have its amps improved since release? How many helix versions are there (not saying this is a bad thing)? what happens to the resell value when a new and cheaper version comes along with almost all the features? And I'm sure as the "double helix" comes along, all products in the older range are pretty soon labeled under the legacy section....same procedure as before :p

I've been setting up my HX Stomp for an upcoming gig where I don't want to take my Ax8 (dive of a pub)

It's a superb little box with plenty of cool features

But, there's no question the Fractal amp sims are just of a higher calibre
They just sound and feel better, to me

You might try the Helix and be happier with it, but if I had to xho

I've been setting up my HX Stomp for an upcoming gig where I don't want to take my Ax8 (dive of a pub)

You might try the Helix and be happier with it, but if I had to choose between the two there's no hesitation it'd be the Fractal every time

In fear of starting a line6 vs fractal debate, I'll just provide what my thoughts were, before getting an AX8:

-Line6 has a history of farting out new products, and shortly abandoning them update wise when something else comes along. I was on the line6 train for a long while and was always bummed when I got something and read something new and improved was just around the corner. I read this was not the case with fractal where the product keeps improving for a much longer period.
-But the main reason: I tried and Ax Fx2, and the amp sims compared to all line6 stuff I tried (this was before the helix), sounded so much better (to my ears). I wanted that! Signed the waitlist as soon as the AX8 was announced, because of the lower price and more gig friendly chassis (compared to its big brother).

I read many are happy with the helix, and I'm sure its not a bad piece (I have considered the VST version)... but how much have its amps improved since release? How many helix versions are there (not saying this is a bad thing)? what happens to the resell value when a new and cheaper version comes along with almost all the features? And I'm sure as the "double helix" comes along, all products in the older range are pretty soon labeled under the legacy section....same procedure as before :p

As someone who bought the Firehawk FX a few months before Helix was announced I know the feeling of seeing less and less updates as all the development team at Line 6 focus on the newest toy.

But, the ability to run a vavle amp through a load box is one that I do need and I know the Helix can do this.

Hi,

Thanks but the signal chain would be

Guitar to AX8,
AX8 via fx loop send to front if amp
Amp speaker out to load box
Load box out to fx loop return

Thanks

Dunky
Thanks for sharing. Mine is arriving soon so this will be a big help. thx

Hi

Hope no one minds a few questions from a prospective owner....

I’m looking at either the Line 6 Helix ( sorry for mentioning it) or AX8.

Plus points of the AX8 are,
frankly it’s sounds better to me, can’t put my finger on why but it just does, both the Amps and fx
I’m a big IOS user so Fracpad app is a bonus

Plus points of Helix
More inputs and outputs
Easier to get one

My 2 questions are;
Is Fracpad as good as the pc based editor, does it have all the functions etc

Thanks

Dunky....
Same questions here. Thanks for asking.

You might try the Helix and be happier with it, but if I had to choose between the two there's no hesitation it'd be the Fractal every time
have been using HX Effects and just got bored with it, going AX8. Cool and all, just too limiting.

Back
Top Bottom