Thinking of changing from Axe 2 to Ax8

Thanks to the forum family, I can pretty much work my way around the 2. Ironically played debut gig with long time bro on vocals...who disappeared with the cash! haven't spoken to him since two years ago. Now My other mate has reformed his band. Miles away. I don't drive so literally unplugged my Axe 2 and thought the logistics. Travel on train with rucksack and guitar on shoulder.

Sorry to say that contained in the rucksack is my Boss ME50! I know, tone is night and day,then I don't know why but instead of looking at the Axe Discussion I looked at the Ax8. Could be my answer. I looked at YouTube vids and my mind is clearer. Sell th AXe2 and buy the 8. Now I noticed that it had the Edit function same as my Axe 2, but the switches above look as though it can be edited on the fly live.

Can this thing fit into a normal rucksack? Is it reliable to edit onstage? I know it contains all the amps and effects of the Axe 2. Looks like a no brainer. My Axe 2 with two EV pedals MFC and QSC K12 are now furniture! If the 8 is transportable..it's mine. Only other thing now would be stockists. I know that originally the early Ultra and 2 were hard to buy and shops didn't sell. I checked and it still seems to be so in London UK. Would I have to buy direct from Fractal again?

Thanks to the forum family, I can pretty much work my way around the 2. Ironically played debut gig with long time bro on vocals...who disappeared with the cash! haven't spoken to him since two years ago. Now My other mate has reformed his band. Miles away. I don't drive so literally unplugged my Axe 2 and thought the logistics. Travel on train with rucksack and guitar on shoulder.

Sorry to say that contained in the rucksack is my Boss ME50! I know, tone is night and day,then I don't know why but instead of looking at the Axe Discussion I looked at the Ax8. Could be my answer. I looked at YouTube vids and my mind is clearer. Sell th AXe2 and buy the 8. Now I noticed that it had the Edit function same as my Axe 2, but the switches above look as though it can be edited on the fly live.

Can this thing fit into a normal rucksack? Is it reliable to edit onstage? I know it contains all the amps and effects of the Axe 2. Looks like a no brainer. My Axe 2 with two EV pedals MFC and QSC K12 are now furniture! If the 8 is transportable..it's mine. Only other thing now would be stockists. I know that originally the early Ultra and 2 were hard to buy and shops didn't sell. I checked and it still seems to be so in London UK. Would I have to buy direct from Fractal again?
Fractal Audio products are sold direct via Fractal Audio, or several specific distributors in different world regions. it is not sold in typical music stores.

the AX8 does not have every single thing that the Axe-Fx II does. there are many, many threads about this on this forum - i suggest doing a SEARCH on this forum (top right of the forum).

you can also check out this page on the Wiki: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Comparing_Fractal_Audio_devices

Can this thing fit into a normal rucksack?
The dimensions exactly are 10 1/4in.^ x 16in.<> x 3 1/4in. thick.

Is it reliable to edit onstage?
Is it reliable??? Yes, it's built like a tank. You are asking is it easy to edit on stage. If you are very good at learning menus and absorbing information then Yes you could edit it from stage but it's much easier with the Ax-Edit software. It would probably be better to craft your tones before going to the gig for sure.

Would I have to buy direct from Fractal again?
Yes direct from Fractal or an Authorized Distributor.

Can this thing fit into a normal rucksack?
The dimensions exactly are 10 1/4in.^ x 16in.<> x 3 1/4in. thick.

Is it reliable to edit onstage?
Is it reliable??? Yes, it's built like a tank. You are asking is it easy to edit on stage. If you are very good at learning menus and absorbing information then Yes you could edit it from stage but it's much easier with the Ax-Edit software. It would probably be better to craft your tones before going to the gig for sure.

Would I have to buy direct from Fractal again?
Yes direct from Fractal or an Authorized Distributor.
Ha ha..we've all come along way. Followed you from Boss GT10 days..how the hell you get that tone with your thumb amazes me..cheers. No, I've research and watched vids. Gotta read this thread more often mate, and get off the default Ax 2 discussion

As @chris mentioned, the AX8 does not have every feature of the Axe but in a live band setting, why would you need the extra processing? Most players don't need to do a ton of editing in a live band situation. You need some great sounding presets coupled with great playing. I would hazard a guess that most people in an audience really do not want to watch a guitar player that is constantly tweaking his gear. Personally, when I go see a band, I want to hear the music and watch the musicians playing off each other. In other words, I want to see a show. Watching a guitar player constantly messing with his gear is a huge distraction.

While you may lose a bit of processing power with the AX8, you gain a lot of portability with pretty much the same great tones. I have an Axe in my studio, but I use an AX8 for gigging. It is a great gigging tool. I run it into the FOH in every venue I play in. Almost always, a flat channel strip does the trick. Once in a while a slight eq tweak on the channel strip is needed. While I absolutely understand the apprehension that comes with changing gear, if you are an Axe user, I think you will find that changing over to an AX8 is not that difficult. Sounds like your travel logistics are a pain. The AX8 would be far more portable. I haul my AX8 in a rolling laptop bag. Works great for that.

It sounds like you'll be able to make the move to the AX8. If you were able to bring that Boss then surely you'll be happy with the AX8.

Looks like you would have to buy a new AX8 from G66 for €1,499.00

This guy is looking to trade an AX8 for an Axe FX:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ax8-for-axefx-ii.134245/

You should take a trip to the US and get one here... A new AX8 is $1100... or $735 cheaper than one from G66!

I made the switch after several years of Axe-Fx II gigging. Love the smaller format and portability of the AX8. Plus it lays out better for live use IMO. It took me a short time to get used to the CPU limitations, but thatr wasn't hard. And I don't miss a single Axe-Fx feature/power. The rack unit has been chilling in storage ever sinee and will be sold soon. It served me very well. Best money I've ever spent has been on my Fractal gear!

Mine gets carried in an old Boss GT case, which previously housed an HD500. Works great, with room for lots of cables and my Mission EP-1.

I sold my Axe-FX II and MFC and bought an AX8 instead. I always felt the Axe-FX was overkill for my needs, but I miss the processing power and the Dephase param. You can´t run dual amp setups! Portability is way better, I carry mine in a 17" laptop rucksack, plenty of space for EV-2 and cables.
The AX8 is about the same size and weight as the MFC alone. No more racks needed.

Sounds great. Damn would love to trade but he's in USA and I'm in London. Cheers though mate. No, I will get one, my mind is made up. No offence but from GT to HD500 to here. People on on about DSP. I've created with Reverbs, Chorus, Delay and Flangers on most patches. I know it's the dual amp and reverbs that eat alot. I should be cool. Yeah. sounds lovely and transportable too. I've put my name on the mail waiting list anyway.

Back
Top Bottom