Thinking of buying an Axe FX

Hi all,

You've no doubt been asked these things countless times but for my own peace of mind I felt the need to get some advice direct from those who know it best. As you can imagine, it's a daunting feeling staring $2000+ in the face only to not get what you're looking for.

I'm very interested in the Axe, but the Helix is infinitely easier and cheaper for me to get my hands on (to try mainly, in local music stores). But I can't help but think that the Axe FX will sound better and has more of the types of FX that I'm looking for.

I'm a Gilmour fan and wondering how authentic the Axe FX sounds? I've seen the Brit Floyd Fractal video and it sounds great, BUT I'm very concerned that they've had their patches (probably) professionally made and it'd be hard to replicate as close a tone as they have. I've also heard that people have struggled with the Muff style FX on the Axe - "thin" is just one of the terms I've seen when describing it. Does that ring true with anyone else?

I play a wide range of styles and love clean amps primarily, high gain (rectifier), and plexi style amps...so the Axe FX seems like the perfect tool for me, but I'm struggling to know whether it offer "that" much more than a Helix to warrant spending a lot more money. It's not about money though, if it is worth it, then it's worth it. But I'd like to get as many opinions as possible from you guys [I'm very aware that I'm asking this question on a Fractal forum! haha].

Many thanks
Jonathan

2 things.
First I find it strange anyone would say the axe is thin. There's so much meat, you won't finish your plate, especially when you mention the helix. I would understand if you heard that the helix is thin or fizzy (because it is to my experience) but not the axe.

Second, the cleans are amazing in the axe. There's a lot of high gain videos out there and not so much cleans unfortunately, but let me tell you, the axe really shines with cleans. And with so many amps to choose from, you can get any clean tone you want.

Make sure you choose good IRs to match your tone though. I personnally use the factory ones, so no worries on having to buy cab packs.

If it's a money issue, you might look at the Ax8. Similar price as the Helix and exact same modeling as the Axe FX, just a bit less options and features. But the sound is the same.

@acidfrost It was literally that the Muff effect (can't remember the name sorry) sounded thin. I've no personal experience to say if this is correct or not. Hope I didn't offend.

I am so tempted by the Axe FX. Another question that concerns me is that if I buy the current generation, I know it's going on 2-3 years old and we're probably due a new model now surely? What's the news, if any?

Many thanks

Hey Jonathan, im sure there is a axe user near by, try asking for one in here or on the FB group,
we are a friendly bunch and most of us dont mind letting people trying our rig. In Europe G66 will let you buy and try and return it at no cost for you. and you get to keep the chocolate ;-)

As per Fractal themselves, the Axe FX 3 is not even in the works yet, so you have years before a new one comes out. With the continuous updates, you will have the latest and greatest for free too.

Hey Jonathan, im sure there is a axe user near by, try asking for one in here or on the FB group,
we are a friendly bunch and most of us dont mind letting people trying our rig. In Europe G66 will let you buy and try and return it at no cost for you. and you get to keep the chocolate ;-)
Haha, thank you. Surprisingly scarce in my area, but a couple of people have offered from further afield on TFB, thank you. Chocolate!! I'm sold! :)

As per Fractal themselves, the Axe FX 3 is not even in the works yet, so you have years before a new one comes out. With the continuous updates, you will have the latest and greatest for free too.
Perfect, that's what I needed to hear. It's my worst nightmare spending that amount of money and then finding out that it's out of date just weeks later. (I know, people hate hearing stuff like that, but it's a personal bugbear, sorry!) :)

Reactions: Ole
I would second the notion of purchasing the AX8. I also was struggling with purchasing the XL+ right out of the gate. I am very happy with the AX8 and it is very powerful. If the AXE III does take a few years etc, I have a lot of time to learn on the AX8 and be really happy until the next flagship hits. The value of the AX8 is amazing in my opinion. There are limitations for CPU processing power, some effects and functionality that you don't get that you would with the XL+, however there is so much there that you shouldn't feel limited. I know I don't. Personally since I am so new with the product, if I had a XL+ in front of me right now I would be too overwhelmed and I couldn't fully appreciate it because I am blown away right now with the AX8. When I purchase the flagship in the future I will appreciate it so much more. Also I will probably not get rid of the AX8 as it will be a more portable version of the flagship product. Just thought I would add my two cents if it helps at all. I am sure if you get the XL+ you will be totally happy as well, however if you are thinking going the Helix route because of the price, I think you should bring the AX8 into your decision criteria.

Bobby (former Brit Flyod guitarist) actually made a bunch of his actual patches available for free

That is as authentic and professional as it gets

@acidfrost It was literally that the Muff effect (can't remember the name sorry) sounded thin. I've no personal experience to say if this is correct or not. Hope I didn't offend.

I am so tempted by the Axe FX. Another question that concerns me is that if I buy the current generation, I know it's going on 2-3 years old and we're probably due a new model now surely? What's the news, if any?

Many thanks

If the axe sounds 99% close to the actual amp with the current model ( XL+) how could it ever get outdated? Is a 59 bassman outdated now?
Do effects ever really get outdated? I understand you want the latest and greatest, but at this point, the models are extremely accurate - not sure how they can get much better ( which I say every time before a new update). Basically - the thing works and is the best at what it does- if my axe keeps working for the next 30 years, I would still be happy with it.
As others have said, I think a new model is a ways out. Worst case - you buy it, maybe don't like the amps - but you still have all the effects you can use with any amp - there is waaaaay more than $2500 worth of stompboxes in this thing...

There had been some criticism of the drive blocks accuracy when compared to the amp model's accuracy in the past. There was some sentiment expressed that the drive blocks (distortions, fuzzes, ODs) were not at the same level of accuracy as the amp models. What the relative percentage was; was a topic of debate. However, a few releases back (within the last year, I think) Fractal (Cliff) put a major effort into the drive model algorithms, measurements, etc.

The general consensus among users was that at this point they are probably so close at this point they are within 'specimin variation' of a physical unit. Pretty much all complaints or requests for additional developments have stopped since...

Example: when I got out my IRL Rat and decided to match its frequency spectrum, once I got the model and the pedal dialed, the frequency variation was very nearly flat. To the point where I just put it back in its box. I honestly don't think it has been out since. ;)

Now BMPs are a bit of a conundrum. Even EHX's versions don't sound identical one to another and there are many current generation BMPs and there are a ton of vintage ones. JHS makes a pedal which has what? Six variants? So, you have to decide, really does it matter? What we have is probably very accurate relative to Cliff's physical unit but who knows exactly which flavor it is.

TBH, when I saw the Brit Floyd presets, I don't remember anything mystical going on there. In fact one thing that impressed me was that they DID NOT use models of the same gear Gilmour used 1:1. They just dialed presets that sounded good based on the sounds they needed for their show. And it sounds fantastic.

That was many firmware updates back. The AF2 is even more accurate now.

I would be absolutely shocked if you were not able to get exactly what you are looking for with the resources provided by the Axe, AxeChange and this community. So, to be honest, I would not lose much sleep over the accuracy of the BMP or what specific model it is based on.

IMHO.

Yeah, you need not worry about another version coming out too soon. Buying a II XL+ is not like in the 80s when I bought some digital rack processors and years later they were being blown away by newer models with much better AD/DA converters, etc. The current gen. of AXFX sounds amazing now and will still sound just as amazing in 20 years. I'll never need or want another amp or processor again.

Here is a few groups on FB where you might find one to try out.
Ah thanks, but I'm not on FB, I may have found someone on a local forum.

I would second the notion of purchasing the AX8. I also was struggling with purchasing the XL+ right out of the gate. I am very happy with the AX8 and it is very powerful. If the AXE III does take a few years etc, I have a lot of time to learn on the AX8 and be really happy until the next flagship hits. The value of the AX8 is amazing in my opinion. There are limitations for CPU processing power, some effects and functionality that you don't get that you would with the XL+, however there is so much there that you shouldn't feel limited. I know I don't. Personally since I am so new with the product, if I had a XL+ in front of me right now I would be too overwhelmed and I couldn't fully appreciate it because I am blown away right now with the AX8. When I purchase the flagship in the future I will appreciate it so much more. Also I will probably not get rid of the AX8 as it will be a more portable version of the flagship product. Just thought I would add my two cents if it helps at all. I am sure if you get the XL+ you will be totally happy as well, however if you are thinking going the Helix route because of the price, I think you should bring the AX8 into your decision criteria.
I really like the UI on the AX8, it looks a bit more immediate than the Axe FX, but I can't help but feel that I'll always wonder about what I'm missing out on. I'm weird like that and always like to get the best I can get at the time of buying. Sorry.

Bobby (former Brit Flyod guitarist) actually made a bunch of his actual patches available for free

That is as authentic and professional as it gets
Amazing! I didn't know that. I'll look them up!

There had been some criticism of the drive blocks accuracy when compared to the amp model's accuracy in the past. There was some sentiment expressed that the drive blocks (distortions, fuzzes, ODs) were not at the same level of accuracy as the amp models. What the relative percentage was; was a topic of debate. However, a few releases back (within the last year, I think) Fractal (Cliff) put a major effort into the drive model algorithms, measurements, etc.

The general consensus among users was that at this point they are probably so close at this point they are within 'specimin variation' of a physical unit. Pretty much all complaints or requests for additional developments have stopped since...

Example: when I got out my IRL Rat and decided to match its frequency spectrum, once I got the model and the pedal dialed, the frequency variation was very nearly flat. To the point where I just put it back in its box. I honestly don't think it has been out since. ;)

Now BMPs are a bit of a conundrum. Even EHX's versions don't sound identical one to another and there are many current generation BMPs and there are a ton of vintage ones. JHS makes a pedal which has what? Six variants? So, you have to decide, really does it matter? What we have is probably very accurate relative to Cliff's physical unit but who knows exactly which flavor it is.

TBH, when I saw the Brit Floyd presets, I don't remember anything mystical going on there. In fact one thing that impressed me was that they DID NOT use models of the same gear Gilmour used 1:1. They just dialed presets that sounded good based on the sounds they needed for their show. And it sounds fantastic.

That was many firmware updates back. The AF2 is even more accurate now.

I would be absolutely shocked if you were not able to get exactly what you are looking for with the resources provided by the Axe, AxeChange and this community. So, to be honest, I would not lose much sleep over the accuracy of the BMP or what specific model it is based on.

IMHO.
This makes me just want to get stuck in and play an Axe Fx to make my own mind up about it all. All very exciting. Thank you for the helpful words!

Gday John,
Spoiler - I'm what some would call a fan boy.
have a listen to pink tones in the ampetheater in Rome.More pink floyd axe fx.

What I can tell you is that the only regret I have about the axe fx is that I spent so much time studying the manuals, reading the forums etc etc...I could have bought the units earlier. It's the best thing in music aside from Neumann microphones - and cheaper! :) in the end I bought 2. sometimes you'll find yourself so blown away with an amp in the axe fx, that it takes a few hours playing before you get back to what you were doing.
Worst case is that you buy one...hate it...and sell it for a few hundred dollars loss. But you will not sell it.nor will you hate it.
They are 4K here - and worth every penny.
You'll soon be a fan boy too.

Thanks
Pauly

Gday John,
Spoiler - I'm what some would call a fan boy.
have a listen to pink tones in the ampetheater in Rome.More pink floyd axe fx.

What I can tell you is that the only regret I have about the axe fx is that I spent so much time studying the manuals, reading the forums etc etc...I could have bought the units earlier. It's the best thing in music aside from Neumann microphones - and cheaper! :) in the end I bought 2. sometimes you'll find yourself so blown away with an amp in the axe fx, that it takes a few hours playing before you get back to what you were doing.
Worst case is that you buy one...hate it...and sell it for a few hundred dollars loss. But you will not sell it.nor will you hate it.
They are 4K here - and worth every penny.
You'll soon be a fan boy too.

Thanks
Pauly
Thank you Pauly, I'm listening as we speak. I've actually listened to some clips from that gig before and they're a great band. I didn't know they used Axe FX though, that's really cool. How did you find that out?

Back
Top Bottom