Thinking about upgrading to the MKII

LeftyStrat

I have an Axe-Fx III which I love. My only complaint is the lack of preset storage, so the MKII makes a a lot of sense for me. I'm pretty sure I can get a good price for my unit; never been gigged, smoke-free blah, blah, blah. My only question is what is the wait time after I sell my unit to receive the new MKII unit?

My only complaint is the lack of preset storage, so the MKII makes a a lot of sense for me.
With all due respect, this statement makes no sense at all.

I have hundreds of Gigabytes of storage space on my computer where I could store hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of presets.
I very much doubt ANYONE (professional or not) would use more than over the 512 currently available in the MkI.
Hell I doubt even the most famous and/or most hard working touring or session guitarist would use more than 50 at any given time.

IMHO: It's this kind of out of control consumerism that gives us humans the unenviable title of being a champion plague on the planet! :D

Last edited:
I have an Axe-Fx III which I love. My only complaint is the lack of preset storage, so the MKII makes a a lot of sense for me. I'm pretty sure I can get a good price for my unit; never been gigged, smoke-free blah, blah, blah. My only question is what is the wait time after I sell my unit to receive the new MKII unit?
The new one has more preset space, but you can delete the factory presets to free up space on your unit.

I also complained about the seemingly smaller free space on the iii compared to the II but I got over it by deleting factory presets and having the factory banks on my computer. The new preset manager lets you load and audition bank files so it is easy to get back to them.

No dig at anyone or anything, but how are people short of preset space? I use presets for different bands, artists, tracking, live and have room on the MKI but I also keep them on my MacBook and in the cloud, for those just in case and for storage. How can people use more than the 512 on the unit? Plus the ability to store and/or load from a computer?

Hi ...
for me , the main question , worry about the new III is the longivity , Life of our ... classical Axe III according to Cliff s new firmware ,
When a new product come , you always worry about the capability of ... the old product to accept New upgrades like we had in the last few ones with drive blocks , new amps .... and lots of others things ....
We re used to all these moments of pleasure expecting firmware Friday....
So my only worry is that the classical III power , memory ... could not accept new firmwares ....
Does anyone has an idea on it .....????
Thanks ...!!!!
Fafa

Hi ...
for me , the main question , worry about the new III is the longivity , Life of our ... classical Axe III according to Cliff s new firmware ,
When a new product come , you always worry about the capability of ... the old product to accept New upgrades like we had in the last few ones with drive blocks , new amps .... and lots of others things ....
So my only worry is that the classical III power , memory ... could not accept new firmwares ....
Thanks ...!!!!
Fafa
My understanding is that the MkII has identical functionality as MkI meaning there will be only one firmware update for both. Same as the multiple variants of the II.

The III MkII just has more preset storage space.

My understanding is that the MkII has identical functionality as MkI meaning there will be only one firmware update for both. Same as the multiple variants of the II.

The III MkII just has more preset storage space.
..... tought the MkII has more inside power for future updates ....
So maybe I m wrong and prefer so ...!!!
As I have enough space for saving presets ....

I have 5 presets that are kitchen sink / morphing things I use. Generally the difference between presets is the amps. I generally use one preset all night except for specialty presets.

I have another 20 or so that are picked out of synth and drone presets or specialty presets.

Everything else can live on a PC / laptop that BTW, you can connect to the III. I take the laptop for live gigs in case I wanna work on a preset for the room.

Really? Do you regularly use more than 512 presets?

I mean, if you play guitar for 2 hours a day in a week, that’s 14 hours. 840 minutes a week that you can spend playing guitar.
And with storage space for 512 presets you can play roughly a little over than 1 minute and a half for each preset! 😂

Basically the Axe 3 fixed the shortcomings of Axe 2 hardware in terms of interface connections and screen and now we are in a position that until the modelling changes to require a serious up in processing power the Axe 3 is not upgradable. Extra storage and the ability to change the colour of the logo is nice if you buy now but no pro is going to swap from the original for that.

With all due respect, this statement makes no sense at all.

I have hundreds of Gigabytes of storage space on my computer where I could store hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of presets.
I very much doubt ANYONE (professional or not) would use more than over the 512 currently available in the MkI.
Hell I doubt even the most famous and/or most hard working touring or session guitarist would use more than 50 at any given time.

IMHO: It's this kind of out of control consumerism that gives us humans the unenviable title of being a champion plague on the planet! :D
I'm not hot for a MK2 but if a MK3 up's the game adding by bluetooth connectivity with an iOS editor I'm all in.

I'm at over 300 presets on my Axe II. That's for one band. I can see how someone would be concerned with a limit of 512. Once you've created very specific presets to exactly replicate a huge library of specific songs (often with multiple presets per song), it becomes a nightmare of compromise to run short of preset space and have to shoehorn new songs into existing presets.

Loading banks from a computer is not a viable option for a professional working musician. Our keyboard player uses a Fantom with only 64 performance slots, and spends half an hour before each gig loading in the songs needed for that particular night. It is the bane of his existence. External storage sounds great in theory, but is impractical if not impossible in practice.

1024 presets would provide peace of mind if nothing else. I'm sure most people will never need this many. But don't tell someone else that they don't. You have no idea what they need.

Last edited:
Hi Lefty,
I’m with you - sure 10 presets (or 100) might be ok if your unit is a single use case, but if it has various users, or even one user that wants to (for example) load all of the factory presets, along with Austin buddy’s 2 packs, plus a bunch of faves from users like burgs etc, well the mk 1 just wont store them all.
The wait for units seems to be a little unpredictable globally, but hey - it’s a guitar amp modeler - you won’t die without it for a month or two :).
thanks
Pauly

Hi ...
Thanks ...!!!!
Fafa
For the cheap seats:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...gativity-from-one-person.165315/#post-1983295

Back
Top Bottom