Thinking about taking the plunge

Andy66

Hi there ,
looking for some advice guys before i shed out on a load of cash ! I play in pro covers band in the Uk and we are booked on average twice a week for 12 months of the year. Our set up is pretty complex with cubase being the core of our operation controlling dmx lights , backing tracks , midi auto lyric scrolling and of course my effects banks ( scenes ) for each song in the set. I currently do this by a liquid foot midi controller that then activates specific sounds on my boss GT8. I’m on my fifth GT8 and the reason I kept using them was because I had put so much work into each preset sound of each song ( over 60 in total ) and the drives just sound superb through my fender hot rod fender deluxe. I did buy a helix and tried to match it with my GT8 tones and believe it or not didn’t come close. I’m now at the point where I’m wondering if I should sell the liquid foot and GT8 and make the jump to the FX8.
Obviously this would mean a lot of work trying to match the song tones I already have but I’m willing to put the work in if I get the results. My big worry is matching all tones at low volume at home and as soon as I play with the band at higher volume it sounds all out of whack. Another concern is that currently on my liquid foot I have a green light programmed to come on when the next track is ready to trigger from cubase. Is this something I could somehow utilise with an fx8?
Apologies for the long introduction but I want to be sure I am doing the right thing before I take the plunge and modelling just isn’t for me so I’m geussing this would be the next choice.
You can see my current set up below which is controlled through the liquid foot from cubase and in turn selects the songs and presets for verse chorus etc
One last thing....with my liquid foot i can receive midi commands from cubase that 'Arm' the song bank but does not send a signal to my GT8 to trigger the bank until i select a preset. Is it possible to send a midi command to the FX8 to Arm it so it load the preset but wont actually activate it until i select a scene? This way i can carry on using the previous songs sounds until i am ready to switch. The liquid foot is fantastic for this and is an integral part of the way i use my rig.

Thanks and look forward to any advice
49690836_10156063550155496_2936852745279242240_n.jpg

Hi there ,
looking for some advice guys before i shed out on a load of cash ! I play in pro covers band in the Uk and we are booked on average twice a week for 12 months of the year. Our set up is pretty complex with cubase being the core of our operation controlling dmx lights , backing tracks , midi auto lyric scrolling and of course my effects banks ( scenes ) for each song in the set. I currently do this by a liquid foot midi controller that then activates specific sounds on my boss GT8. I’m on my fifth GT8 and the reason I kept using them was because I had put so much work into each preset sound of each song ( over 60 in total ) and the drives just sound superb through my fender hot rod fender deluxe. I did buy a helix and tried to match it with my GT8 tones and believe it or not didn’t come close. I’m now at the point where I’m wondering if I should sell the liquid foot and GT8 and make the jump to the FX8.
Obviously this would mean a lot of work trying to match the song tones I already have but I’m willing to put the work in if I get the results. My big worry is matching all tones at low volume at home and as soon as I play with the band at higher volume it sounds all out of whack. Another concern is that currently on my liquid foot I have a green light programmed to come on when the next track is ready to trigger from cubase. Is this something I could somehow utilise with an fx8?
Apologies for the long introduction but I want to be sure I am doing the right thing before I take the plunge and modelling just isn’t for me so I’m geussing this would be the next choice.
You can see my current set up below which is controlled through the liquid foot from cubase and in turn selects the songs and presets for verse chorus etc
One last thing....with my liquid foot i can receive midi commands from cubase that 'Arm' the song bank but does not send a signal to my GT8 to trigger the bank until i select a preset. Is it possible to send a midi command to the FX8 to Arm it so it load the preset but wont actually activate it until i select a scene? This way i can carry on using the previous songs sounds until i am ready to switch. The liquid foot is fantastic for this and is an integral part of the way i use my rig.

Thanks and look forward to any advice
49690836_10156063550155496_2936852745279242240_n.jpg

the fx8 can receive and send midi signals. I think its best for you to check the manual. I know it can send midi signals to ableton and control dmx lighting and tracks.
About the presets: the reason I still use the fx8 after 3 years is you can create presets very fast with the usb editor. This saves me a lot of time. I also play in a coverband.

It sounds like the "arm" feature is very important, and I don't know if the FX8 does that per se.

yes im thinking its not worth the trouble as i dont think it can arm the presets, it activates them as soon as it recieves a midi command

Why not have Cubase send a program change for the next song to the AX at the end of the currently running song?
Cause if i do that the sounds for the current song will cut off as soon as the new preset triggers and there will be no bleed. Alot of songs in our set are bridged together with my guitar ringing out as the next track starts. I lose that ability if the next song starts clean and the current song is a drive setting.
We also change set list orders depending on the gig and venue and i cant do that if the next song isnt the song that is to trigger at the end of the current song

It sounds like the "arm" feature is very important, and I don't know if the FX8 does that per se.
Are you getting rid of the Liquid foot or just the GT8? if so it seems it's integral with Cubase not the GT8. If that's the Case the FX8 can respond to anything the GT8 can respond to. But if you want to get rid of the Liquid Foot as well then you may need to discuss it further with FX Support.

Quite honestly I hate those Forum members who answer with "Read the Manual" I've often scoured the manual to not find what I'm specifically trying to do and can't find anything then ask the Forum for assistance. "Read the Manual" is not assistance it's laziness

Back
Top Bottom