Thinking about taking the plunge,... again.

phydeaux

I owned a Standard for a couple of years and it was a love/hate relationship to say the least. Running through a QSC K12, the mid and high gain models were great, but the cleans just weren't there for me. There seemed to be a high end digital "sizzle" to them that I just couldn't dial out, even with countless hours of tweaking. Not sure what firmware I was running as this was around 2010. I finally gave up out of frustration.

Lately my back has been telling me to stop lugging a half stack around and seek a more portable option, so I'm considering giving Fractal another shot and picking up an AX8. I'm definitely intrigued by the user interface and the reviews, but can't really tell much from the clips I've heard online. Soundwise, how far is the AX8 from the original Axe-Fx Standard? I've always leaned toward Marshall, Vox, and Fender tones with only a handful of effects. Just wondering if it would be worth it for me to ditch the amps and dive back into this pool.

Certainly things are very different from the Standard Ultra days. 7-10 years different. The amp modeling is far better and easier to dial in. Its definitely worth a try. You could always incorporate it into your current setup and ditch some pedals even if the amp modeling isn't up to your par its there as a great backup option too.

The standard was top shelf in it's day. In it's day. I have been using FAS gear since 2010. The difference is yuge. Amp modeling with the newer algorithms is way better. Amps are more responsive, sound better, etc. Especially the clean amps (IMHO). Interface is easier to use, AX Edit is way better. Fractalbot is the bomb. It's like comparing a biplane to a Harrier jet. They both fly, but what a difference.

I play 80% clean, with some reverb\delay, maybe chorus. Couldn't be happier. I Love a nice classic rock tone trust me, which to me is like late sixties and early\mid 70's, Born to be wild era. Yeah, that old. Just an example. But clean with FX is what I love. And the axe has always gotten me there. Love the Twin reverb with just some spring added. Just one mans opinion of course.

BTW, I do like the mid gain stuff I get from the AX8 also...very much

The real question is what will you use for monitoring your guitar? If you are used to the "amp in the room" sound, you may (or may not) have difficulty transitioning to FRFR if that is your intent. The K12 definitely contributes to the harsh treble frequencies and accentuates fizz. There are a lot better options out there now.

The real question is what will you use for monitoring your guitar? If you are used to the "amp in the room" sound, you may (or may not) have difficulty transitioning to FRFR if that is your intent. The K12 definitely contributes to the harsh treble frequencies and accentuates fizz. There are a lot better options out there now.

I'm using a QSC K8 and enjoying it a lot but would love to hear your recommendations!

Also to the OP .. you could always try it for a few days. Not sure in the US but G66 in Europe gives 30d to try it first.

I'm using a QSC K8 and enjoying it a lot but would love to hear your recommendations!

Also to the OP .. you could always try it for a few days. Not sure in the US but G66 in Europe gives 30d to try it first.

Personally I use a CLR. I was using a K10 before that. There is no comparison in my opinion. The K series highs are hyped and harsh, the lows are hyped and boomy and the mids are muddy and "distant sounding". I have not tried any of the other FRFR cabs that other people like, so I can only speak to the comparison between the CLR and the K10; and there is no comparison. The CLR is so good we use them for our PA tops too. Very CLeaR.

I have had so far, an Ultra, a MK II and a II XL+. I loved all the gain sounds, but the clean was not there for me either. Back when I had those units, I was more into high gain stuff and fusion lead tones.
So the circumstances bring it that I need to be as mobile as possible and I play mostly jazz, think of Metheny, Rosenwinkel, type of tone. So AX8 was my best option and since Kurt Rosenwinkel was using one I got sold of giving it another try. I am sure I could achieve a good clean tone this time. (even though I read, here in the forum, he had trouble dialing a good clean tone.).
Plus, all the other capabilities this machine has.

Back
Top Bottom