Thinking about switching from FRFR to Matrix and Cab

xpenno

Power User
Hi guys,

I have been a long time AxeFx FRFR user and enjoyed my time :) I have been really happy with the tones that I have managed to get out of my various setups however I played through and actual guitar amp the other day and missed the rounded tone that seemed missing from a FRFR rig. I still plan on using IRs to go out to the PA but am thinking about buying a Matrix GT800FX and a 2x12 Guitar Cab (probably a Zilla Fatboy).

I just wondered if you guys had any recommendations on speakers (or cabs for that matter) to help me in my search. I was thinking about going for a v30 and either a G12H or G12M but the wattage scares me a little as the v30 is 60W and the G12H is 30W, the Matrix on the other hand is much more powerful so I would be scared of blowing the speakers. Has anyone had any experience of running such a setup? Is it possible to get good volume without melting the speakers? I also thought about getting scumback G12H as these come in 100W versions which would lessen the gap.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Spence

Looking at the Scumback site they have much more 100w versions available, also of their greenback speaker (M75).

I'm happy with my EVM 12L classic. I'm experimenting with a complementary speaker. Laid my hands on an EVM Alnico 100w, gotta try that at gig level. If it's not da bomb, I'll probably try that high-wattage M75.

A V30 + G12H seems too bright to me.

Last edited:
Looking at the Scumback site they have much more 100w versions available, also of their greenback speaker (M75).

I'm happy with my EVM 12L classic. I'm experimenting with a complementary speaker. Laid my hands on an EVM Alnico 100w, gotta try that at gig level. If it's not da bomb, I'll probably try that high-wattage M75.

A V30 + G12H seems too bright to me.

Thanks Yek,

I am certainly tempted by the scumback M75 after seeing so man great marsha clips with it, I was thinking that for Plexi/Marsha tones and v30 for the heavier Recto tones. I am toying with the idea of running the speakers individually so I would have some patches using the M75, some the v30 and some using both. This setup would give great tonal flexibility. With the new v3 firmware I also have the option to take IRs of my actual setup to feed to the PA which would be cool.

I have a "boutique" JMP50 clone in 1x12 combo format, which I fitted with a Scumback M75 (100W). It´s a great speaker, I have always loved Greenbacks lo-mids. Tried it with the Axe, sounds great for those plexi tones... Thought I would find EVM12L tones sterile, couldn´t be happier. It´s not a flat speaker as some folks might say, but it´s flatter than the M75, in a way the Axe´s various amp models sound very different from each other. Each amp block shines with the EVM, showing its true tone. With a Greenback type of speaker, or G12H, or even a V30... I think most models would sound too much alike... but that´s IMHO... Please note I don´t use IRs with the VHT/EVM.

Hi guys,

I have been a long time AxeFx FRFR user and enjoyed my time :) I have been really happy with the tones that I have managed to get out of my various setups however I played through and actual guitar amp the other day and missed the rounded tone that seemed missing from a FRFR rig. I still plan on using IRs to go out to the PA but am thinking about buying a Matrix GT800FX and a 2x12 Guitar Cab (probably a Zilla Fatboy).

I just wondered if you guys had any recommendations on speakers (or cabs for that matter) to help me in my search. I was thinking about going for a v30 and either a G12H or G12M but the wattage scares me a little as the v30 is 60W and the G12H is 30W, the Matrix on the other hand is much more powerful so I would be scared of blowing the speakers. Has anyone had any experience of running such a setup? Is it possible to get good volume without melting the speakers? I also thought about getting scumback G12H as these come in 100W versions which would lessen the gap.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Spence

P1020551.jpg

Loaded with a 30 and a G12H Anniversary. No issues :) Yes its a 60W cab (speakers wired in parallel) and the Matrix will give 250W into the 8 Ohm load - but as the Matrix signal light flicks on at -9db, which is 30W its a really useful indicator. i set that as my max - then when I hit my solo vol boost (3db) Im at 60W - which is perfect.

pm coming.

Hi Paul

I'm running exactly the same setup as you but the matrix is going through a marshall 2X12 loaded with V30 and G12H30. May I know how to wired the speakers in parallel? What kinda difference in tone in this setup? I do also find this speaker combo a little too bright but I did compensate the EQ via Global. What do you think?

I dont think there too bright at all TBH. Also, wiring in parallel wont affect the tone that much - it will change the Ohm rating though - so may better match the amp your driving them with.

For instance, using 8 Ohm drivers, wired in series will give you a 16 Ohm cab, wiring in parallel will give you a 4 Ohm cab (2x12 obviously). If there 16 Ohm drivers, then it will already be wired in parallel to give an 8 Ohm load.

Do you normally resort to a specific IR for most of your presets? If so, I'd use those types of speakers. For instance, I've found i really like the v30 IR's in multiple cabinets, so if i were doing it, I'd probably spring for a set of those. If you are all across the board in your IR use, then i can't help, sorry, haha

Thanks Yek,

I am certainly tempted by the scumback M75 after seeing so man great marsha clips with it, I was thinking that for Plexi/Marsha tones and v30 for the heavier Recto tones. I am toying with the idea of running the speakers individually so I would have some patches using the M75, some the v30 and some using both. This setup would give great tonal flexibility. With the new v3 firmware I also have the option to take IRs of my actual setup to feed to the PA which would be cool.

Those M75s seem to handle heavy HBE tones quite well.
Tone Merchants and Dave Friedman of Rack Systems Ltd. Present The Marsha feat. JMR - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom