Thinking about Swapping Axe-FX II for FX8

Genghis

Power User
So, I've been an Axe-FX user since the Ultra version 5 days, happily upgraded to the II, and currently have an Axe-FX II XL. I also have a board made up of a Pedaltrain Pro with a Mark I MFC-101, two Mission Pedals, and the extra 4-button switch that forum member Roadrunner builds and sometimes offers up for sale.

Recently I picked up my first new amp in some time, a Peavey 6505 Micro Head, and love it with the 4-cable method. (Running it through a nice Port City 2x12 I found on Craigslist) It's reasonably quiet, sounds great and I have all of the effects to use from Axe-FX II, but I've been thinking about selling the Axe-FX II setup and picking up a FX8 for two main reasons:

1. Allegedly it's significantly quieter for 4-cable method
  2. It would make for a much more portable rig to take with me.

I've been thinking of the Pros and Cons and I guess I'm kind of looking for someone to push me over the edge or talk me out of it, one or the other.

Axe-FX II Pros:

• I already have it
  • More effects available
  • Can record or simply play at 2AM with headphones without disturbing the neighbors

Axe-FX II Cons:

• Slightly noisier than FX8 since it was designed more for direct
  • Big and bulky to take anywhere if I go jam with someone

FX8 w/6505 Pros:
  • Quieter
  • Much more portable
  • Covers my high gain, clean and crunch modes all pretty nicely (although with not as much variety as the Axe-FX II).
  • By limiting myself to three core sounds I may be able to focus more on the music and less on experimenting with different tones.
  • Sounds great in the room and miked up.

FX8 w/6505 Cons:
  • Would realistically have to part with my Axe-FX rig to afford to get it
  • Although it has a speaker emulated output, it doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as Axe-FX. Might be sufficient for late-night scratch tracks though.

A sideline advantage is that I could probably get some decent money for my Axe-FX rig and could use some extra coin these days.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice from others who may have made the switch to using an FX8 with an amp after using Axe-FX II for some time. Is it worth it, and do you really miss the highly tweak-able Axe-FX?

Thanks! (And sorry for the long post, I'm usually a lot more brief.)

hey man how are you ?
i can say that i sold my axe fx 2 and buy the fx 8 from few reasons as you say.
1. i found myself love the 4cm with my amp(mesa roadking 2) and found my self play with it as stompbox cause i just start to play music and not all the time search and look for new feturs in the axe fx. and amp sound really batter and live then the amp sim in the axe fx, so i think if you have amp you good with it and give you all you want is winner.
2. all effects on one box that you can change from your leg- not to much but you have inaff from that- so you can get your tone and that it. and its really lighter and easier to care.
3. its why i bought it. now why not
in the middle of the night i found my self lonley without the opsion to play with my headphones and the axe- i play without nothing and its hard- and any other divices are not axe lol.

for me the fx8 was batter cause i am not recording and found my self play with my amp when the axe is stompbox. its really sound batter like that, but if you need the record, the headphones, the amp sim- so stay with your rig its great rig and will be hard to get back

So, I've been an Axe-FX user since the Ultra version 5 days, happily upgraded to the II, and currently have an Axe-FX II XL. I also have a board made up of a Pedaltrain Pro with a Mark I MFC-101, two Mission Pedals, and the extra 4-button switch that forum member Roadrunner builds and sometimes offers up for sale.

Recently I picked up my first new amp in some time, a Peavey 6505 Micro Head, and love it with the 4-cable method. (Running it through a nice Port City 2x12 I found on Craigslist) It's reasonably quiet, sounds great and I have all of the effects to use from Axe-FX II, but I've been thinking about selling the Axe-FX II setup and picking up a FX8 for two main reasons:

1. Allegedly it's significantly quieter for 4-cable method
  2. It would make for a much more portable rig to take with me.

I've been thinking of the Pros and Cons and I guess I'm kind of looking for someone to push me over the edge or talk me out of it, one or the other.

Axe-FX II Pros:

• I already have it
  • More effects available
  • Can record or simply play at 2AM with headphones without disturbing the neighbors

Axe-FX II Cons:

• Slightly noisier than FX8 since it was designed more for direct
  • Big and bulky to take anywhere if I go jam with someone

FX8 w/6505 Pros:
  • Quieter
  • Much more portable
  • Covers my high gain, clean and crunch modes all pretty nicely (although with not as much variety as the Axe-FX II).
  • By limiting myself to three core sounds I may be able to focus more on the music and less on experimenting with different tones.
  • Sounds great in the room and miked up.

FX8 w/6505 Cons:
  • Would realistically have to part with my Axe-FX rig to afford to get it
  • Although it has a speaker emulated output, it doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as Axe-FX. Might be sufficient for late-night scratch tracks though.

A sideline advantage is that I could probably get some decent money for my Axe-FX rig and could use some extra coin these days.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice from others who may have made the switch to using an FX8 with an amp after using Axe-FX II for some time. Is it worth it, and do you really miss the highly tweak-able Axe-FX?

Thanks! (And sorry for the long post, I'm usually a lot more brief.)

As someone whom just did the sell the Axe Fx II thing after 7 years of use exclusively......I can say this. Save up and get the FX8 BUT keep the Axe Fx II. Reason? Axe Fx II is just so awesome....that being said, I'm really really digging the FX8 and real tube amps again. It's all fun, but in hindsight my Axe Fx II was a great pocket knife that you ALWAYS take on a camping trip. I do like the easier set and forget for real tube amp and the x factor that only a tube amp gives....that being said again...KEEP THE AXE FX II AND GET THE FX8.

Thanks guys. I guess after reading your posts and RTFM on the FX8, I'm one step closer to giving it a try. I may just check it out with the 15 day return policy, and then I can either keep it and sell the Axe-FX rig, or send it back if it doesn't really suit me, and I'd still have the Axe-FX.

I have the same issue with regard to the AX8 when it comes out in October. I agree with Tremonti but the $$$ is tough......I am actually trying to find something else I can sell instead. But when it gets down to it, I will do whatever I have to, to own the AX8.....because it's what I want\need and will work great for me. I barely scratch the surface of what my XL+ can do..............in every respect.

As someone whom just did the sell the Axe Fx II thing after 7 years of use exclusively......I can say this. Save up and get the FX8 BUT keep the Axe Fx II. Reason? Axe Fx II is just so awesome....that being said, I'm really really digging the FX8 and real tube amps again. It's all fun, but in hindsight my Axe Fx II was a great pocket knife that you ALWAYS take on a camping trip. I do like the easier set and forget for real tube amp and the x factor that only a tube amp gives....that being said again...KEEP THE AXE FX II AND GET THE FX8.

Is the FX8 a lot quieter than the Axe-Fx II via 4cm with your new amp?

Back
Top Bottom