Thinking about buying CP 20 but....

Matt_B_77

Power User
....wondering how folks manage to work their way through the huge amount of variety in it. Having 1,776 IRs to play with is mind boggling.

There are a few that some folks have used to create some amazing presets with but that's like 2 or 3 out of the 1,776.

I'd be interested to hear the process folks use to work through these.

Oh man... Wait until your collection of free and paid ones approaches the 50,000 mark. Yeah. I would need to clone myself and start age 5.

Use auto audition in Cab Lab (he says without having tried it yet! lol).

There will be others with real answers to your post, BTW.

Last edited:
Cp20 is 1776 IRs, but that's between multiple cabinets and speakers. If you don't know the sound you want or the tone of the speakers then I would pole around the Internet and read up, find the IRs that focus in on tonal qualities you like and start there. Cab lab free is also out if you don't already have the full version and let's you quickly shoot out the lists!

All of the Cab Packs I create (also CP20) include "Ace" folders that include around 20-30 IR's that I considered the creme de la creme. You will most likely like those IR's a lot and they're enough to make the packs easy and fast to use. :) Most of the clips you've heard are using the Ace IR's.

Once you know the overall tonality of the different cabs you can dive in deeper to fine tune your sound. And sure... you can go 5 years with a new IR every day. :D

Mikko already brought it up but yeah, aces all the way, then expand when you know what you want. These IR's are full of amazing combos that work together astonishingly well. :)

50,000? I have millions. My cabs folder is the single biggest folder on my computer.
You know what I use? Stock cabs. Maybe there's something marginally better in that folder of mine, but it's just not worth the hassle.
Of course that's just my opi-neon. And of course I'm just a lazy bum.
There's quite a number of Mikko's IRs in the stock cabs and what I'm using are three out of four Mikko'ses. Maybe I should delve some into the CPs. But there's just so friggin' many of them!!!!!?!

Yeah I have. :) Actually I was toying with the idea of just releasing the Ace folders for future packs at one point but I think the versatility would be missed.

Back
Top Bottom