Think there will ever be a few more drive pedal options in ax8

The FAS teams have tirelessly updated and improved their product lines. So do I think additional pedals will be added? Yep. The specific ones you mentioned? Who knows. I suggest you put your desired effects on the "wish list". That's what the wish list is for. Personally, I don't think there is any question whether FAS will continue to add to their product lines. Historically, they have been improving things since they first released the Standard and the Ultra. All my other gear just gets older. My FAS gear gets better. As for the wish list, I really hope they add my beloved Ampeg V-4. I put that on the wish list a million years ago.

Its quite possible to easily emulate certain "missing" pedals with a few quick adjustments and numerous threads that explain exactly how to dial in some of those settings. Just tweak, then save the block in Axe-Edit naming it whatever you what, and there you go, new drive blocks added.

Keep in mind as well that about a good 95% of dirt pedals on the market these days are all just slight tweaks, if not out and out copies of existing circuits. Someone swaps out a resistor value for a little less bass, comes up with a cool name and flash graphics and its a TGP darling for a few months, until it becomes apparent that its actually a $30 made in China clone pedal that was being rehoused with a huge market lol, just keeps happening again and again.

Whats so cool with Fractal is you've got the power to adjust things like the high and low cut of a given pedal, change tranny types, add in a little dry signal, etc etc

Its not to say that every pedal can be exactly replicated, I still have a few favorite stomps like a germaniaum fuzz myself, but the drive block is pretty good overall

Fractal is missing a certain mythical od pedal...I’ve always gotten the impression that the drive pedals were an afterthought to the amps, and seeing that the ax8 is probably at the end of its update life unfortunately, I don’t see any new drive pedals being added.

A few threads on how to replicate this. I used the wiki settings for my main pre-boost/drive in my patches and it sounds very close to my clone of aforementioned mythical OD.

Fractal is missing a certain mythical od pedal...I’ve always gotten the impression that the drive pedals were an afterthought to the amps, and seeing that the ax8 is probably at the end of its update life unfortunately, I don’t see any new drive pedals being added.

Drive pedals have always been an afterthought to any amp that's how they came into being. Trying to add something that an amp didn't have!

As to being an afterthought I suppose, when you think about it all they really do is too add subtle gain and eq changes. Nothing that can't be done with the tools that are already in the box.

But I get it, it's easier to add a block that has the name already on it so you know that, yup! that's the one I want.

It would be nice if someone did a tuitorial on how to get other distortion boxes out of what is already in there.

That is beyond my capability.

However on the positive, just discovered the ruckus and loving it! (suhr Riot)

Used to play a real one, and that sim rocks into my clean marshall (real) amp. Plus I'm working on an all sim version.

Sometimes the consistence of a true distortion pedal is nice.....and the riot (ruckus) has an amp like sound and feel.

Go to for me most of the time is still tube screamer in JS410 though.....just can't beat the patch I made for that!

The MI Audio Crunch Box is the Marshall Guv'nor with a couple of eq tweaks. Most overdrive/distortion pedal gain structures can be found in the Fractal drive models and with the clipping, eq and other parameters most any pedal can be emulated. I did this for my BB preamp, MXR GT-OD and Vox Ice 9 OD.

Wish I knew how to do that!

Turn knob, listen, repeat as needed

I've often hooked up a physical pedal and would A/B with it and the drive model until they sound near identical (for a given setting of knobs) but really I don't care so much about matching an exact pedal, I just care about getting the tone I'm after. If a given setting sounds great to me then it doesn't matter what, if anything, real world it matches. After all, whats the point of hardware pedals if its not to help produce a certain tone?

It's not a matter of sitting with a pedal and trying to make a model in the AX8 sound exactly the same. I used the pedals in my reply as an example because they were the three I used at the time of purchasing my FX8 and eventually my AX8. If I a/b'd them, they probably wouldn't sound as close as I think they do because I was more after the general idea of what those particular drives did with my amps. In fact, I ended up using the Fat Rat to emulate my BB preamp pedal.

Again, for me it's about finding the right gain structure first and tweaking from there. If the gain structure is wrong, no eq'ing or filtering is going to produce the correct overdrive or distortion tone. Once the gain structure is what you want, it's a matter of adjusting the Low and High Cut to get the resonance and high end you need, then adjust the eq to get the overall tone you want. Other than the Low and High Cut, the Mid Freq is the second most important parameter for me when dialing in the drives. I turn the Mid Level all the way up, sweep through the Mid Freq range then turn the Mid Level all the way down and do the same thing. It's the easiest way I've found to quickly finding the tone that works for me.

The two things I suggest new users do is:
1. Read the manual a few times. You don't need to memorize it but having a good idea where topics are and what they cover is a huge help.
2. Take the time to learn what the purpose of each parameter is and go through the range of all the parameters and listen to what they do and how they interact with each other. You'll more than likely only use a couple but it makes it so much easier knowing which parameter needs to be adjusted to get what you want rather than just guessing.

As much poop as the DS1 gets, i really love the saturated squished pick attack sound it gives on a dirty amp. Basically what a Satchurator is too.

Back
Top Bottom