Think Outside the Box

I did a complete record with a 5150 Block Letter through a 2x12 Vox with Blue Bulldogs (real amp and cab!) once. May sound crazy, but it worked! It's my band's current album. Not the kind of guitar sound I would use today, but when the producer came up with this idea, I first thought he's gone mad. But he proved me wrong :)
That's a killer tone on "Destination". I didn't like it until I heard it stacked. wow!

I'll continue the recent necrobumping of this thread with another +1 to weird combos. I actually came on here to share a discovery from last night.

I bought a used Earthquaker Devices Acapulco Gold (Sunn power amp distorion) to use in front of my FM3 because I wanted some kind of ruckus tone that sounded out of control. But it's too much ruckus for what I wanted. I then loaded the FAS 6160 and out of pure laziness loaded the first 1x8 speaker with a 57 on it from the factory list. Found the doom tone I was looking for. Added a whammy at 50% octave down and I've got a serious doom/sludge riff machine.

Not only did this − and the process of finding it − bring me so much joy (it's the simple things, right?), it also reinforced that I should just go all-in for an Axe-Fx III because there is literally nothing I can't achieve with the tools Fractal has provided and now I just the power to do more.

Thanks to Cliff and the team (again) for provided so many inspiring sounds

Jay Mitchell has said that a close mic'ed 4x12 essentially behaves as a 1x12 (the comb-effect/interactions of the four speakers are negated as the listener isn't in the far-field to hear all of that) so it stands to reason that any cabinet IR might work with any given tone/amp/style.

I'll continue the recent necrobumping of this thread with another +1 to weird combos. I actually came on here to share a discovery from last night.

I bought a used Earthquaker Devices Acapulco Gold (Sunn power amp distorion) to use in front of my FM3 because I wanted some kind of ruckus tone that sounded out of control. But it's too much ruckus for what I wanted. I then loaded the FAS 6160 and out of pure laziness loaded the first 1x8 speaker with a 57 on it from the factory list. Found the doom tone I was looking for. Added a whammy at 50% octave down and I've got a serious doom/sludge riff machine.

Not only did this − and the process of finding it − bring me so much joy (it's the simple things, right?), it also reinforced that I should just go all-in for an Axe-Fx III because there is literally nothing I can't achieve with the tools Fractal has provided and now I just the power to do more.

Thanks to Cliff and the team (again) for provided so many inspiring sounds
that little 1x8 IR really adds something interesting. I've ended up using that one quite a bit in combination with other speakers- something about it helps it rip through a mix.

Back
Top Bottom