Think I made a mistake buying a LiquidFoot Junior

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I know I'm not the only one who is having this problem with the LF junior... Trying to use it in 3-button mode and Song Mode at the same time. I'd like to know if anyone here has a Pro or a Jnr and uses it like this. Jeff suggested to me it wasn't possible (after first telling me it was) but was going to check it out and get back to me... That was nearly a week ago. I've had this unit for abour 3 weeks now and I've only succeeded in setting up tap tempo and getting the Menu button to engage the tuner (and that was a major fight).

Two prospective questions... If it turns out I've purchased the LF in error, can the Gordius LG do what I want? And does anyone want to buy a brand new LFJ (in the UK)?

Craig

I don't know what three button mode is on the LF junior.

The Gordius Little Giant has a "keypad" where you punch the number of a song or a bank (preference is selected on the PC editor software).

If you "keypad" to a bank, it will call up that bank. The bank is a custom layout of the switches for that particular bank. With the LG1 you have instant access to 128 banks, and the up/down switch will let you scroll up or down in a bank or you just turn on the keypad and you have instant access to any of 128 banks.

If you "keypad" to a song, it will call up that song. Then that song can call up any of the banks AND it can activate any preset, and then the bank that loads can also load up your active preset for that bank.

And lots of other stuff..... The LG2 is coming out now too. The software for it will have TONS of headroom when it comes to creating setups (like 900 songs, 900 banks, 100 stomboxes, etc).

solo-act said:
I don't know what three button mode is on the LF junior.

The Gordius Little Giant has a "keypad" where you punch the number of a song or a bank (preference is selected on the PC editor software).

If you "keypad" to a bank, it will call up that bank. The bank is a custom layout of the switches for that particular bank. With the LG1 you have instant access to 128 banks, and the up/down switch will let you scroll up or down in a bank or you just turn on the keypad and you have instant access to any of 128 banks.

If you "keypad" to a song, it will call up that song. Then that song can call up any of the banks AND it can activate any preset, and then the bank that loads can also load up your active preset for that bank.

And lots of other stuff..... The LG2 is coming out now too. The software for it will have TONS of headroom when it comes to creating setups (like 900 songs, 900 banks, 100 stomboxes, etc).
Sounds awesome. I gravitated to the LF mainly because I use a Mac and the LF editor supposedly works with Mac. As it happens I can't even get mine to find my LF when connected via MIDI through my Edirol MIDI interface. So not only am I finding it frustrating to set it up manually, I can't even use the editor to help me. So far, I have bought a very expensive black box with pretty lights on it. :evil:

Craig,
I'm also on a Mac - Xavier promised to have the editor "Mac-ready" by January - so you'll be fine. Gordius and Xavier are great, Version 2 is out and it's in Europe which is fine for us.
cheers,
Uli

Gearhead said:
Craig,
I'm also on a Mac - Xavier promised to have the editor "Mac-ready" by January - so you'll be fine. Gordius and Xavier are great, Version 2 is out and it's in Europe which is fine for us.
cheers,
Uli
Thanks man.

Gearhead said:
Craig,
cheers,
Uli
So if I buy one now I can upgrade it to "Mac-ready" status in January? Or do I have to wait until then to order one?

The LG doesn't seem to accept phantom power, according to the manual. Is this true of the 'Version 2'?

Stringtheorist said:
Gearhead said:
Craig,
cheers,
Uli
So if I buy one now I can upgrade it to "Mac-ready" status in January? Or do I have to wait until then to order one?

The LG doesn't seem to accept phantom power, according to the manual. Is this true of the 'Version 2'?
LG1 can do "phantom" power with a modified cable that someone makes. LG2 will do full phantom power, plus you can't screw up the power input if you don't do phantom power. The regular power input will be able to handle positive center, negative center, and AC power.

Go ahead and email Xavier about delivery time and shipping. He'll tell you the latest news.

BTW, I'd start reading the manual now. It'll give you the foundation you need to start using it. The LG2 will actually be simpler to use, so either way, starting on the manual now is a good idea.

solo-act said:
Stringtheorist said:
Gearhead said:
Craig,
cheers,
Uli

LG1 can do "phantom" power with a modified cable that someone makes. LG2 will do full phantom power, plus you can't screw up the power input if you don't do phantom power. The regular power input will be able to handle positive center, negative center, and AC power.

Go ahead and email Xavier about delivery time and shipping. He'll tell you the latest news.

BTW, I'd start reading the manual now. It'll give you the foundation you need to start using it. The LG2 will actually be simpler to use, so either way, starting on the manual now is a good idea.
Already downloaded it, and Xavier has explained that the LG now comes with a 7 pin connector as standard for phantom power. :cool:

iaresee said:
What's the ETA for the LG2?

It's already out! Started shipping last week's monday and I got mine wednesday last week.

The hardware is the new, updated version. The software/firmware is a modified version of the "old" one/LG 1.
Xavier will unlock additional features/setup memory through future updates (aprox. january) which are, of course, free :D

Like Eric suggested, for everyone interested it's the best to download the manual and the editor software to get an impression of its capabilities.

Seb

Stringtheorist said:
Sounds awesome. I gravitated to the LF mainly because I use a Mac and the LF editor supposedly works with Mac. As it happens I can't even get mine to find my LF when connected via MIDI through my Edirol MIDI interface. So not only am I finding it frustrating to set it up manually, I can't even use the editor to help me. So far, I have bought a very expensive black box with pretty lights on it. :evil:
It's a general problem that support for (large) MIDI sysex is not great with many interfaces. On top of that, Mac happens to have a poor java implementation of MIDI (forcing people to buy extra software like Mandolane in order to be able to access MIDI hardware from java applications). That's the main reason why I still didn't rush into rewriting ControlCenter in java. I prefer trying to extend the USB capabilities of the LittleGiant further. Maybe that will lead to a user friendly and more robust (platform independent) way to exchange setups and firmware between PC and footcontroller, not using MIDI sysex at all. Apart from that I am looking into extending the MIDI-USB capabilities too. Currently giving me a headache, but I hope to have a full 2x2 MIDI-USB interface built in into the LittleGiant2 soon. This would make it possible to simultaneously use ControlCenter for LG setups and Axe-Edit for Axe setups, and have active 2-way communication plus phantom power between LG and Axe, all that with nothing but 2 cables: 1 USB cable + 1 MIDI cable. Would be much more elegant than the setup I saw described here earlier, using 6 cables plus an external 2x2 interface plus a MIDI merge box (which interrupts phantom power and 2-way communication) So now I first want to get that low level USB stuff running the way I want. Next thing on my list will be the new editor.

ossandust said:
Stringtheorist said:
It's a general problem that support for (large) MIDI sysex is not great with many interfaces. On top of that, Mac happens to have a poor java implementation of MIDI (forcing people to buy extra software like Mandolane in order to be able to access MIDI hardware from java applications). That's the main reason why I still didn't rush into rewriting ControlCenter in java. I prefer trying to extend the USB capabilities of the LittleGiant further. Maybe that will lead to a user friendly and more robust (platform independent) way to exchange setups and firmware between PC and footcontroller, not using MIDI sysex at all. Apart from that I am looking into extending the MIDI-USB capabilities too. Currently giving me a headache, but I hope to have a full 2x2 MIDI-USB interface built in into the LittleGiant2 soon. This would make it possible to simultaneously use ControlCenter for LG setups and Axe-Edit for Axe setups, and have active 2-way communication plus phantom power between LG and Axe, all that with nothing but 2 cables: 1 USB cable + 1 MIDI cable. Would be much more elegant than the setup I saw described here earlier, using 6 cables plus an external 2x2 interface plus a MIDI merge box (which interrupts phantom power and 2-way communication) So now I first want to get that low level USB stuff running the way I want. Next thing on my list will be the new editor.

||: Wow. :||

ossandust said:
... but I hope to have a full 2x2 MIDI-USB interface built in into the LittleGiant2 soon. This would make it possible to simultaneously use ControlCenter for LG setups and Axe-Edit for Axe setups, and have active 2-way communication plus phantom power between LG and Axe, all that with nothing but 2 cables: 1 USB cable + 1 MIDI cable.

That would be great!!! :mrgreen: :ugeek:

I asked for 1 week to get the code tested and running.

for all those interested--- the firmware is now available on the www.liquid-foot.com website.

v1.70 Liquid-Foot JR. firmware:

1. Step commands now work in SONG mode
2. Song mode now supports 3B mode
3. IA linking now changes the state of the IA switch LED
4. GLOBAL MENU: Presets can be "forced" globally to resend IA commands (override the individual preset setting for resend IA commands) - this will require V1.05 of the editor to set this command.

U2JustMe said:
I asked for 1 week to get the code tested and running.

for all those interested--- the firmware is now available on the http://www.liquid-foot.com website.

v1.70 Liquid-Foot JR. firmware:

1. Step commands now work in SONG mode
2. Song mode now supports 3B mode
3. IA linking now changes the state of the IA switch LED
4. GLOBAL MENU: Presets can be "forced" globally to resend IA commands (override the individual preset setting for resend IA commands) - this will require V1.05 of the editor to set this command.

That's awesome Jeff!! Will #4 be coming in a firmware version for the Pro as well? (please please please :D )

Liquid-Foot PRO firmware is on web-site as well. v1.99

Use the new Editor (also on the web-site for download v1.05) to set the global parameter for FORCE IA RESEND on all presets. You will not have global menu for this function in v1.99 firmware. Next firmware will. Just use the editor for now to set this function (on/off). It defaults OFF.

Thanks Jeff - we appreciate your hard work and even though there is a learning curve with the LF (especially for those of us relatively new to MIDI-based commands), it really is a great piece of hardware.

I love my Jr! Hey Jeff, one thing I noticed - I can't find per-preset IA overrides in the version 1.04b editor? Is it in 1.05?

Back
Top Bottom