Things I Sold To Afford An Axe FX Ultra AND Put Money In The Bank

Ouch, being a 7D user wanting a 5D for ages, I imagine that would've hurt.

As to sdhnc123's post, considering that he has had his Axe-Fx "since last week", I'm guessing he wants to return it during the return period. Dissent posts are ok but if I were in his position - I would have asked for help from the experienced users here much earlier, than to sit alone trying to make it work for 2 weeks.

As to what I sold to buy the Axe-Fx - nothing. I would consider myself "Gen-Y" - went straight to the Ax-Fx without buying a lot of tube gear. However, I have had the good fortune of playing a lot of tube amps to my heart's content.

I can compare what I hear from the Axe-Fx as being very close to the real thing, and I'm sure with a little help, I can get all the tones I want.

sdnhc123 - Do not forget the convenience factor if you're a gigging musician. Comparing tones in a studio with 10 amps lying around forever is another thing. A lot of gigging musicians admire the box not only for the tones, but for the convenience of carrying AND dialing in tones. That is one benefit you cannot take away.

Yea, it hurt quite a bit, but being more passionate about playing guitar than photography I took it well. I also didnt have much stuff to sell off since i came from a background of modelers for many years already... from Roland GP-8 in the 80´s and to Line6

I didn't sell anything to get my Axe-FX Ultra.

...yet. My amps may not survive this purchase though. I'm just not sure I'll use them with the Ultra/FRFR rig here.

Things I sold to afford the Axe... Diezel VH4s with money left over. The things I sold after I found the Axe could coherently replace them, Lee Jackson Xls 100 head assorted pedals and rack gear. The list of gear I have before I found the Axe takes to much time to type up and is shared in the list of gear others had to sell.

While I sold a bunch of stuff to get my AxeFx, I've haven't stopped buying other gear. Gas is fun and I don't want to be cured. I love that feeling when I see the UPS truck pulling up. :) That said, the AxeFx is the most satisfying piece of gear that I've ever bought. I look at my equipment as tools and really don't have any sentimental attachment to them. They're there to get a job done. A lot of stuff has come, didn't exactly live up to exactly what I wanted, then got sold. My Ultra is one of the few things that I have that's actually getting some dust on it (and that's not from lack of use).

Here is what I am about to sell to pay for my new rig, and I couldn't be happier :-D
Orange TH30
G System Limited
Lovepedal Kalamazoo
Lovepedal Les Lius
Provalve2
Rothwell Hellbender
Jetter Jetdrive
EarthQuaker Devices Hoof

I sold a Mesa Mark IV, TC G-Major, BB-Preamp and an Axxess GRX4....but only after the Ultra passed the side by side test.

Peavey Classic 30
Mesa Single Rectifier
Amwatts 2x12 /w Warehouse V30s
Assorted pedals: Phase 90, Boss TR2, BYOC EQ (I figured the axefx would make them redundant)

I still have all the other pedals though, the TC delay and chorus, the Prometheous (which the axefx DOESN'T replace), wah and I think a Sparkle Drive. I could put together a decent analog rig with the addition of a small tube combo. Something I will get around to one day.

Last edited:
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa Lonestar Classic Head
Mesa Rectifier 2X12 Vertical Slant Cab

Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Voodoo Labs Amp Selector
BB Preamp

Hmmmm....I think that's it. I bought an Ultra, Furman PL-PLUS DMC and two QSC K12's.

A bit of overkill for a basement setup but hey, the wife said I could buy what I wanted as long as I funded everything through the sale of existing gear!

well, i was saving for a while and money supposed to go for traveling abroad for my wife's 30th birthday and also for her driving licence... i just couldn't help when i knew i've got the money and i need the AXE FX ULTRA. the worst thing is i dont feel too guilty... when i plug my guitar and hear it! im not that bad husband though, i will recover quick and satisfy my wifes needs too.

i sold my pedal case with Boss pedals and Mesa v-twin preamp to cover the import tax (£400 - UK).

The pedal i haven't sold was ... behringer ultrashifter. i'm not sure if AXE can produce 'the bend' up/down without expr pedal but when you simply stomp on the switch...

things i have for sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!
mesa boogie single rec.
mesa 2x12 cab
digidesign 003 rack with factory
euphonix mc control
9 boss pedals
gator pedal bord
ibanez s series prestige
ibanez s series 7 string with black out pickups
martin acustic
mbox

Eleven rack

Maz 18 2x10

The only thing I miss is the 11Rack's Trem and rotary. I have not been able to match them with the ultra. The more time I spend with ultra The less I feel I need the AXE II. the ultra is far more capable then me,

Sold my Mesa Mark IIC+, still one of the loudest amps I've ever heard.
And sadly, used part of an insurance check from a 1983 Flying V korina 1958 re-issue that the airlines destroyed.

yes, the end is nigh...

I'm done chasing tube tone the old fashioned way. I think the Axe FX marks the beginning of the end for tube/analog guitar gear, and I'm speaking as a BIG fan of tube amp tone.
I really agree with this statement. Although I'm new to the AxeFx forum and have yet to receive my AxeII, I have been using "modelling" type amps since 2005 - first with a Fender CyberDeluxe and currently a Mustang V with a stereo cab. Now I realize my Mustang can't hold a candle to the AxeFx, but I will say that modelling amps in general have made my weekend warrior gigging a lot more enjoyable. Once you get used to just punching a preset for a certain song, you can just focus on playing instead of futzing around with tones and effects.

The best part for me is the range of tones I can use over the course of an evening. Sometimes you need a direct signal type tone for Prince stuff, sometimes a "woody" clean tone for jazz stuff, a fat Dumble tone for Steely Dan or just a punchy Plexi tone for classic rock - I could never do all that with one tube amp (or tap dance all the necessary effect pedals). And although I've had some sweet tube amps, including a Dr Z Mazerati and a wonderful Music Man 2x12HD from the 80s, tube amps are just never going to be consistent from night to night using different power supplies and constantly changing (degrading) tubes.

I'm pretty happy with my current tone on the Mustang V, but I think the Axe Fx is going to blow my mind with the possibilities - especially with the ability to control effect parameters in real-time via expression pedal. Boy, do I have plans for that feature :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom