T-Rex Replica
Neutrik Patch Panel
Electro-Harmonix Cathedral Stereo Reverb Pedal
Fulltone OCD
Vox Tonelab
AKG 3000B
AKG C1000S
Roland Cube 15
Belltone AP-22 12W tube amp (circa 1960)
Lehle Dual amp splitter
Digitech CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Boss ME-70

Getting ready to sell while it's still worth something:

Matchless Lightning 15 ('94)
Matchless Spitfire 15 head (clone/kit)
Trailer Trash pedal board
Korg rack mount tuner
MXR Phase 100
Alesis DEQ
Lexicon MPX 550
Demeter TRM-1 Tremolo pedal
Pedal Power 2 Plus

I'm done chasing tube tone the old fashioned way. I think the Axe FX marks the beginning of the end for tube/analog guitar gear, and I'm speaking as a BIG fan of tube amp tone.

I can't remember the last time I sat in front of one of my tube amps for four hours straight, but I did just that the other night in front of my Axe FX Ultra. It's rekindled my interest in the guitar, and greatly simplified my approach to getting "good tone."

Make that "GREAT TONE."

I sold my Pearl Export drum kit, an Art Pro VLA-II compressor and two backup Digitech GSP-2101s to get my Ultra.

I had to sell a Mesa Electra Dyne 212 combo and a couple pedals to fund my ultra.....which is out for delivery as I write this...

I love the simplification of the signal chain, too. Experimentation is no longer limited by what's on "the board", what is handy at the moment, or which pedals can be afforded. It's all right in that magic black 2U box in front of me. I love it.

I sold off a telecaster, some pedals and a small 5W tube amp and came out ahead somehow. :razz Still trying to figure that one out to be honest.

But the amount of money I have saved from buying frickin' pedals and crap everyother week has almost paid for the AxeFX itself. I do indulge in an occasional guitar or something like pickups, but no major gear purchases these days. I do however have to come up with some kind of FRFR solution of some kind for live use in the near future. Not really looking forward to that to be honest.

BC Rich Warlock with EMG pickups
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Digitech GSP-2101 and two foot controllers
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop CryBaby From Hell
Furman SPB-8C pedalboard
MXR Wylde Overdrive
Rocktron Hush Super C
Shure SM57 (two)

I still have to sell a few more things to break even.

I ordered the Axe Fx Standard earlier this week. I'm sending it back tomorrow.

--EFFECTS--
I purchased the Axe Fx for effects with my Diezel Herbert/VH4(s) rigs. I tested it in the 4-cable-method using the Parallel Loop of the Herbert. The effects within the Parallel Loop were set 100% wet ("Kill Dry") to prevent phase issues. Here are some of my thoughts.

1. The latency of the Axe's Whammy makes the effect unusable. The latency of the Digitech Whammy pedal is much less than the Axe Fx Standard.
2. The Chorus effect on the Axe is NOT as good as the Chorus effect on the TC G System.
3. The Detune effect on the Axe is NOT as good as the Detune effect on the TC G System.
4. All other effects sounded pretty good.
5. The CRYSTALS effect is sweet.

--Amp Models--
I tested the amp models direct to PA with power amp simulation and cab simulation. I also tested the amp models into a Mesa 2:100 without power amp simulation and cab simulation.

1. Nothing in the Axe comes close to a Diezel Herbert. The Herbert is the king of metal... bar none.
2. The Rectifier models of the Axe are the most accurate. These are pretty good, but still not as good as the real amp. I've owned Rectifiers for over 10 years. The Axe sounds "darker" than a stock Rectifier. The Axe sounds like a Rectifier that has been loaded up with JJ 12ax7s in the preamp. Also, I can hear solid-state artifacts in the Axe's Rectifier models.
3. I own a Diezel VH4(s). The Axe's VH4 model is not even close to the real thing.
4. I have extensive experience with a Mesa Mark IV. The Axe's Mark IV does NOT measure up to a real Mark IV.
5. I have never played an ENGL amp, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the Axe's ENGL model.
6. There is not a clean tone in the Axe Fx that compares to the cleans of the Mesa Mark V. Try out the Mark V on 10 watt mode. Also, the Mark IV is better for high-gain than the Mark V.
7. The Vox AC30 also sounds better than the Axe Fx... no contest

The Axe Fx is better than Line6. I tried out the flagship Line6 product last year. It also went back within a few days.

The Axe Fx is a very convenient package with some great tones and nice effects. It does not have the best effects. It does not have the best amp tones. It would be a GREAT purchase for a guitarist in a cover band that needs many different tones, but doesn't need to nail any tone 100%.

For effects only, you can get more bang for your buck with the TC G Major 2 ($375 NEW on ebay).

Hi sdhnc123. I was going to try to suggest some people here help you understand what you're doing wrong to make these contrasts to G-System/G-Major/Whammy, but... Just...send it back. Let someone able to appreciate it have the thing, especially when there are posts every day about when it will be in stock. As for solid state artifacts, I'll just leave that to the wolves. But seriously let's not hijack this thread

Yeah, this is going to sound gratuitous, but I agree with Anakron on this.

sdhnc123
I ordered the Axe Fx Standard earlier this week. I'm sending it back tomorrow.

Usually when people dedicate $1500+ to a piece of equipment, they give it more than a few days of trial and error before concluding that they cannot/will not use it. The Axe-Fx, even for knowledgeable users, can take some time to digest and explore to its fullest potential.

Whether intentional or not, sdhnc123's post comes across as though he's expressing a twisted kind of pleasure in letting everyone know that he's sending is Axe-Fx back (JMHO), but also note that this is his FIRST post on the forum. He must be a GOD of knowledge about how to use the Axe-Fx, with expert levels of experience with tube amp technology b/c he's never posted here before asking for opinions or help regarding how to get optimum results from his Axe-Fx. And, if he WERE that expert in all things tube and amp emulation, you'd think he might be able to get the attention of the Fractal development team and talk some serious turkey. Of course I'm a big Axe-Fx fan, but no doubt some users will not be satisfied. This does not sound like a user who is even TRYING to be satisfied.

Yeah, this sends up red flags IMO. Sounds like a "diss" mission. Send it back. Lots of people are waiting in line for this thing with a different imperative in mind than sdhnc123.

Now - back to selling off old boat anchors...

I sold a Vetta. That did not recoup. But the Mesa 20/20 (bought especially) and the Mesa Recto 4x12 (had that already) I had planned to use with the Axe-FX did. recouped and payed for the monitor to amplify my Ultra.

I was thrilled again at rehearsal last night. Sounded fantastic.
Earlier this week I got another studio engineer enthused about the Axe-FX. Mostly for ease-of-use and pristine signal because I wasn't playing really well, but he really liked the tone and the noiselessness.

Let the trolls go.

Sold a marshall jvm410 and 425b cabinet plus a bunch of pedals and still came out on top.

Its the only piece of gear I've ever bought that has cured my GAS!

12u road ready case, about half dozen mxr, voodoo, and boss pedals, pp2+, rjm line mixer & rg-16, voodoo gcx, tc m3000...

more recently, another road ready 6u, a gcp, and some other doodads covered for the cost of the mfc.

also sold a mark iv, in that whole mess, though that more just for the money (though it's pretty much covered in the axe). i kept the mark v just in case i wanna do some analog tweaking :p

"I ordered the Axe Fx Standard earlier this week. I'm sending it back tomorrow."

I'm the OP and I had no problem with sdhnc123's contrarian opinion. He was quite specific and he seems to have enough experience with tube gear to render an informed opinion. There's a little bit of buzz kill in his phraseology but I credit him with injecting some skepticism into all the "rah rah" vibe carrying the thread.

The point I'd re-make in this post is this: To me, the AEF represents the new baseline in amp simulation. The people at Fractal have demonstrated that digital is gaining ground fast in terms of its ability to accurately model tube amps and high-end effect pedals. It can only get better. The bar has been set. If I had a job hand-wiring amplifiers at Dr. Z Amplification, Matchless or any other "boutique" tube amp manufacturer I'd be looking for another job. At Fractal Audio.

I love my AEF - and I'm a tube amp guy to the core. I have no ego attached to how I get my sound, as long as it sounds good. And this thing sounds pretty frickin' good to me.

Last edited:
Billiam, I hear ya. I would add, though, that there are other seemingly more appropriate locations on this forum for the type of information being provided by sdhnc123's post. You are correct IMO, that the manner in which certain things were stated really set the tone for that post being a "buzzkill". Had his post read: "I'm not selling ANYTHING, and in fact the Axe-Fx did not really work for me, unfortunately, so IT will be going, not my other analogue equipment." This would be an appropriate post, although inquiries would send the intent of the OP in another direction (you can imagine the piss-fest that would ensue). This is why I think the overall content of sdhnc123's post would have been more appropriate in another thread. Not to minimize the importance of dissenting opinions - they ARE important - but this is the wrong thread IMO.

Didnt sell any stuff but cancelled my Canon DSLR 5D upgrade ;)

Ouch, being a 7D user wanting a 5D for ages, I imagine that would've hurt.

As to sdhnc123's post, considering that he has had his Axe-Fx "since last week", I'm guessing he wants to return it during the return period. Dissent posts are ok but if I were in his position - I would have asked for help from the experienced users here much earlier, than to sit alone trying to make it work for 2 weeks.

As to what I sold to buy the Axe-Fx - nothing. I would consider myself "Gen-Y" - went straight to the Ax-Fx without buying a lot of tube gear. However, I have had the good fortune of playing a lot of tube amps to my heart's content.

I can compare what I hear from the Axe-Fx as being very close to the real thing, and I'm sure with a little help, I can get all the tones I want.

sdnhc123 - Do not forget the convenience factor if you're a gigging musician. Comparing tones in a studio with 10 amps lying around forever is another thing. A lot of gigging musicians admire the box not only for the tones, but for the convenience of carrying AND dialing in tones. That is one benefit you cannot take away.

Things I sold to acquire the standard.
Klipsh 15" w horns (pair)
ROland VS-1824 w/CD digital recorder
Peavy 800 (new type)
Lexicon LXP15 verb
Yamaha TX7 sound module
AK-47 (MAK90)
1911A1 (.45ACP)

The only things that increased in value were the firearms! The rest was worth only nickels on the dollar.
Sure, the Axe will be a frickin boat anchor someday too....it's inevitable...but I have used, enjoyed my Axe more than any of the above...well, I must admit the dang AK-47 would give me a woody too! >:/

Yeah, this is going to sound gratuitous, but I agree with Anakron on this.

Usually when people dedicate $1500+ to a piece of equipment, they give it more than a few days of trial and error before concluding that they cannot/will not use it. The Axe-Fx, even for knowledgeable users, can take some time to digest and explore to its fullest potential.

Whether intentional or not, sdhnc123's post comes across as though he's expressing a twisted kind of pleasure in letting everyone know that he's sending is Axe-Fx back (JMHO), but also note that this is his FIRST post on the forum. He must be a GOD of knowledge about how to use the Axe-Fx, with expert levels of experience with tube amp technology b/c he's never posted here before asking for opinions or help regarding how to get optimum results from his Axe-Fx. And, if he WERE that expert in all things tube and amp emulation, you'd think he might be able to get the attention of the Fractal development team and talk some serious turkey. Of course I'm a big Axe-Fx fan, but no doubt some users will not be satisfied. This does not sound like a user who is even TRYING to be satisfied.

Yeah, this sends up red flags IMO. Sounds like a "diss" mission. Send it back. Lots of people are waiting in line for this thing with a different imperative in mind than sdhnc123.

Now - back to selling off old boat anchors...

+1

I sold...
Budda Superdrive 18 (that was the tough one)
Eventide TimeFactor (great pedal, but axe delays are at least as good to me)
Tonefreak Severe
V.S. Jekyl & Hyde
Pedaltrain 2
Pedal power
VP Jr.
Nano boost
Almost sold some plasma, but luckily a few paychecks were larger than budgeted.

In process of selling a Damage Control Timeline to help fund a better monitor (the cheapo Kustom active monitor I currently use is "meh," but not too bad for a monitor when all my money at the time went into getting an Ultra)

Back
Top Bottom