They say global is where it's at...

That's how I've rolled for many years now. But @austinbuddy's 1000 amp pack has really got me playing around with more amp-cab pairs than in the past so now I'm maintaining a handful of these "single gig presets" that are the same effects but around different amp-cab setups so I can try them out, live. Globals are really making a lot of sense here.
That's kind of how I started with Global Blocks on the II. My use case was mostly 1 or 2 presets per gig but the core amp and drive blocks would change while everything else remained the same.

Then I combined Global Blocks with Axe-Edit Preset Templates!

That way, I could have a favorite preset layout including my Global Blocks, modifiers, etc and easily create a new working preset. Just change out the Amp type and fiddle with the Drive blocks a bit.

Now when I decide I prefer the Tube Compressor to the Studio, or that I want to use a different Wah model, I simply update one preset and done :)

I should say one more thing:

Keeping track of global blocks can be...complicated. I have a spreadsheet with each block as a column and eight rows that let me keep notes on what the global is for each block. Right now I'm just using Global 1 for each block. It'll get harder and harder to track if I use Global 2 and beyond for any block.

Here's the sheet if you want to make a copy of it. It only has blocks that support globals.

http://j.mp/2kCgsen

Looks like this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 9.41.40 AM.png

You can use the filter drop downs at the tops of the columns to restrict the views to just a block type or just all 1 instances of blocks or to search for settings in the global notes.

Oh, and a word of caution: when you're linking a block to an existing global you really have to make sure you pick the correct menu. If you accidentally pick Link instead of Load-and-Link you'll overwrite the global settings and change the block everywhere it's used.

I noticed my Flanger block was all wrong so I guess I messed that up last night when I global-ized that block. Ooops.

Good news though is that Global Block settings are part of the system state. And system state is SUPER fast to save with Fractal-Bot. AND you can start Fractal-Bot right from Axe-Edit III now.

So if you're at all trepedatious before you make a global change just fire up Fractal-Bot and make a snapshot of ONLY the system state. Takes 30 seconds. Gives you peace of mind. If you screw it up, just load the system state back into the unit and reboot and you're back to good.

@Michael Pickens I would love, love, love the ability to snapshot all the global block state the same way I can snapshot the state of a preset while I'm editing it in Axe-Edit III. If I'm wishing for things...

@Michael Pickens I would love, love, love the ability to snapshot all the global block state the same way I can snapshot the state of a preset while I'm editing it in Axe-Edit III. If I'm wishing for things...
Yes... This is a great idea.

I'm so pleased with the globals! The above mentioned screw up in the Flanger block was corrected so quickly. I found a backup bank file I'd made before I started the global thing. Pulled up a preset from that bank file that had my preferred flanger block settings in it into a an empty preset slot on the hardware. CMD-C copied the block into my clipboard. Went to a preset with the screwed up, global Flanger block and pasted the settings. Saved. Done!

Now all my kitchen sink presets have the correct flanger settings.

You're right to make frequent backups of the System data. Because an error is easily made with Global Blocks. Especially on the hardware where there's no indication if a block is a Global Block, unless you're editing a block.

Good to know. I will be making this change once I get a handle. I've been saving a template with same effects/channels and then going back through each one when I would make a change. I then insert my amp and cab and save the preset. The only question or desire I should say would be to have the effects stay on when I change the preset. So my layout would be if an effect is on it would stay on even which I switch between amps and channels of amps.

Magic.

@unix-guy on a more serious note, though. I probably can't turn it all on at once. It'll overload then. The four parallel blocks get used pretty much in exclusive mode -- never at the same time. And I run reverb in Normal mode because I can't tell the difference and it saves some space.

The CAB block is running multiple IRs in all cases.

On one of the presets, one scene goes >90% but just by a bit, so I don't sweat it. Live, disconnected from the computer, it'll be fine.

I was totally under the impression blocks take up the same amount of CPU no matter if on or off. I need to read the manual I guess ;)

There is a static and dynamic component to block CPU use. Static use is the same whether a block is in use or bypassed but the dynamic component only applies when it’s engaged.
The dynamic part mostly affecting Drive blocks (or things that add drive) in my experience.

Have you seen otherwise?

Good to know. I will be making this change once I get a handle. I've been saving a template with same effects/channels and then going back through each one when I would make a change. I then insert my amp and cab and save the preset. The only question or desire I should say would be to have the effects stay on when I change the preset. So my layout would be if an effect is on it would stay on even which I switch between amps and channels of amps.

Pretty much what I used to do way back when... Once I had more than a handful of presets it was too much work!

A template with Global Blocks will be a killer app for you!

That's how I've rolled for many years now. But @austinbuddy's 1000 amp pack has really got me playing around with more amp-cab pairs than in the past so now I'm maintaining a handful of these "single gig presets" that are the same effects but around different amp-cab setups so I can try them out, live. Globals are really making a lot of sense here.
Thanks. This was helpful. I’m doing the same with AB’s presets. Now I see how global may be worth looking in to.

Converted and works great.

Welcome to global!

Now, how to make the effects on/off/channel stay on across presets.....??
That's not currently a thing that can be done. You might be able to achieve this with a third party MIDI controller that maintains the state of IA switches across preset changes but you'll get some funky behavior if you do this. As you change presets, effects will flip from their saved state to match the IA state on the midi controller and you can get artifacts and blips.

That's not currently a thing that can be done.

That was a short trip.

The effects would be the same across the presets so it really comes down (for my application) to having them on or off. I am still messing with Scenes as well so maybe something there could accomplish this?

I am still messing with Scenes as well so maybe something there could accomplish this?
Scenes don't hold IA or effect state across changes either.

There might be a solution for a narrower case though. If you describe what you're after, it might be possible to craft something?

If I have an effect on in one preset when I change the preset I'd like the effect to remain on. It's tied to a foot switch so I could turn it on and off as needed just wanting it to stay on when changing presets if currently being used.

Back
Top Bottom